CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

Just got of a screening for SMH. Great movie! On par with SM1, just below SM2. Holland was born to play Peter Parker/S, 9/10. On par with WW for best SH movie of the year. WOM is going to be great! 

• Like 1

Wonder Woman was not a risk and Black Panther is not a risk. The argument that either is a risk is just silly. Waiting too long to make a Wonder Woman movie was a mistake by WB. Making the movie was not risky at all. And this argument that Black Panther is any kind of political risk is also ridiculous. It has gotten to the point where some people don't even understand what a risk is. They just throw the word out to somehow fit a false narrative that they want to create.

Edit: Didn't see CJohn's post because I was typing my reply before it was made.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

MODERATION: NOT THE MCU/DCEU THREAD

It is kind of hard not to talk about the MCU or the DCEU in this thread. I mean anytime someone talks about Spider-man Homecoming or Wonder Woman they're technically talking about the MCU and DCEU. 

Guess you'll have to ban us all. Then this thread will be as empty as Han's love life. 

:popcorn:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

It doesn't matter it is right or not

Well it matter a lot if the conversation is: What is a risk, not was it perceived by some exec at some studio as one. It would not surprise me if it was considered less of a risk to many executive with a female director at the helm (that would be why they did choose one and has for other female superhero movie too, it remove at lot of possible issue for them).

What was perceived as a big risk in 2010 did change a lot by now I would think.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

What are you implying by this, that it is inherently more risky to put a large budget in the hands of a woman director than a male one ? I doubt you are.

Yeah that's not a risk at all it's just an abnormality because of the entrenched myopia and or misogyny of studios - even with female studio heads.  The audience doesn't care or even know who directs 95% of most movies.

The same for WW.  There is absolutely no valid reason for a WW film not to be done a couple of decades ago.  Yes, Super Girl then Catwoman flopped for WB - but it's because they were terrible movies not because they were female lead CBMs.    WW isn't some niche or unknown character.  She's not Jonah Hex  - who even got a movie before she did.  She's also more popular than Green Lantern.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

What are you implying by this, that it is inherently more risky to put a large budget in the hands of a woman director than a male one ? I doubt you are.

Well studios evidently do think that it is a risk.

14 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

Explain.

It is going to make a fuck load of money. It will easily do 170m domestically and 300m overseas. I think it is going to make much more than that. You might piss some people off but it is going to appeal to more people than think it is a PC movie. 

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

It is kind of hard not to talk about the MCU or the DCEU in this thread. I mean anytime someone talks about Spider-man Homecoming or Wonder Woman they're technically talking about the MCU and DCEU.

Clearly we should all be talking about Transformers and Pirates of the Caribbean. 

15 minutes ago, Nova said:

This isn't even a Marvel vs DC discussion. Folks are simply discussing the different super hero movies in terms of riskiness, how the different universes look in terms of style etc 

It's my own fault. I always get dragged into these stupid retarded arguments that go no where.It's a waste of time, bc it always ends up the same 'way.' These things have been going on forever.

Guess I get more heated bc I grew up reading Star Wars and Marvel/DC comics growing up in the 90's. Watched old animated shows like Xmen, Superman, Spidey. We really didn't have good superhero movies in the 90's. Original Superman and Batman(89) were the best. We had Batman and Robin which was awful.

Edited by FilmBuff

Come on guys....how many times do we have to go through this?  

NOT THE DC VS MARVEL THREAD.  IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS THAT STUFF DO IT ELSEWHERE....LIKE IN THE FRANCHISE WAR THREAD.

PLEASE STOP THIS STUFF....THERE'S PLENTY OF OTHER STUFF TO DISCUSS.

IF YOU CAN'T FOLLOW SIMPLE RULES, THEN THERE WILL BE WEEKEND BANS.

THIS IS THE WEEKEND NUMBERS THREAD...NOT THE OTHER SUPERHERO MOVIES THREAD.

THANK YOU.

I'LL RE-OPEN THIS IN 5 MINUTES. 

• Like 3

As long as it's not a vs discussion, it's good.  But just don't get into the DC sucks...Zak sucks kind of mode.

A lot of the discussion that has been going on is fine.....i went through the last 3 pages.....but keep it about the risk and such.....those of you getting into the DC sucks territory...and you should know who you are.....please stop. :)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

It's my own fault. I always get dragged into these stupid retarded arguments that go no where.It's a waste of time, bc it always ends up the same 'way.' These things have been going on forever.

Guess I get more heated bc I grew up reading Star Wars and Marvel/DC comics growing up in the 90's. Watched old animated shows like Xmen, Superman, Spidey. We really didn't have good superhero movies in the 90's. Original Superman and Batman(89) were the best. We had Batman and Robin. 

I understand where you are coming from completely because I do think that these discussions get carried away and I am glad the moderators have been strict with them BUT in this particular case, I felt like folks weren't discussing the universes in terms of how they stack up against one another, but rather how each individual film is seen from a stylistic/risk perspective. Of course who knows where the discussion would have headed so maybe it was for the best that you had said something. 

Edited by Nova

Baby Driver is doing well against competition (Spidey targeting the males). I see an $80M+ total. However, it still has a chance at $100M if it can survive against Apes and Dunkirk.

Wonder Woman survived against Spider-Man: Homecoming, which reminds me of when Despicable Me barely had a negative affect on Toy Story 3, but DM opened much lower. If WW follows TS3's multiplier for the rest of its run, it will crack $400M. With surviving its enemy, that total should not be ruled out.

Bye Bye to Transformers 5, which got trounced by SM:H!!