CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

5 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

When Marvel was brought by Disney nothing was a risk anymore.

Im not hating but Disney has been proven to be more successful than any company in history.

The Company actually have an 99.9% success rate.

No one is saying Marvel Studios was at risk after Avengers but everything MCU related that came after Iron Man was the reward of that initial gamble.

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Again, an entertainment reporter at a magazine about money, finances and capitalism continuously covering a box office phenomenon? Shocking! :P 

Stocks, stocks all about stocks :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

One reason The Dark Knight was so amazing is that Batman couldn't save and solve everything and people died...low stakes can bring immense drama...

I think most of TDK success was more of Ledger than Actully Batman.

If you look at it TDKR actually benefited from The overseas expansion as it took a dip in the domestic Market and only made about 80mil more Ww.

In reality TDKR sold less tickets than TDK 2008.

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

One reason The Dark Knight was so amazing is that Batman couldn't save and solve everything and people died...low stakes can bring immense drama...

Yeah but at the end of the movie Batman still won. Compare to the first Rocky:

Spoiler

That is another way in which it was riskier.:sparta:

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Some of you guys don't get it.

If Iron Man flopped there would be no MCU.

The MCU has made over 12 billion dollars with no signs of slowing down.

That doesn't include the money from home video, tv rights, and merchandising.

The thing about the MCU is they had three flops (CA,TIH,Hulk)And being brought by Disney help their Universe keep going.

Just now, Brainiac5 said:

I think most of TDK success was more of Ledger than Actully Batman.

If you look at it TDKR actually benefited from The overseas expansion as it took a dip in the domestic Market and only made about 80mil more Ww.

In reality TDKR sold less tickets than TDK 2008.

I'm not talking box office, I'm talking as a great movie...the Joker getting to have "wins" is possible when his wins don't destroy the whole universe...it makes for a better development of the character onscreen.  You can show the insanity and the crazy brilliance and not have to "dial it back" due to problems if his "gadgets/games" get out of control...if they do, it's only a few hundred people, not the entire planet Earth...

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

There would be no MCU right now as it is...but someone would have bought Marvel for peanuts (rather than its windfall)...probably Disney again...and eventually, they would have looked for a different starting character and a different concept and tried another movie...and if that worked, they'd have kept going...

Kudos to Disney and the CEO, smart man ... bought Marvel for dirt cheap, and brought in Pixar and LucasFilm .. can't go wrong with those.

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

No one is saying Marvel Studios was at risk after Avengers but everything MCU related that came after Iron Man was the reward of that initial gamble.

Thor was mediocre success Cap flopped and TIH.

Disney help them not feel these failures by buying them.

4 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

The thing about the MCU is they had three flops (CA,TIH,Hulk)And being brought by Disney help their Universe keep going.

Hulk wasn't in the MCU.

4 minutes ago, Subzero said:

Kudos to Disney and the CEO, smart man ... bought Marvel for dirt cheap, and brought in Pixar and LucasFilm .. can't go wrong with those.

They played it smart too. Iger wanted and bought Pixar in order for Lassiter and Catmull to help fix WDAS new quality slump. And looked at them now. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm not talking box office, I'm talking as a great movie...the Joker getting to have "wins" is possible when his wins don't destroy the whole universe...it makes for a better development of the character onscreen.  You can show the insanity and the crazy brilliance and not have to "dial it back" due to problems if his "gadgets/games" get out of control...if they do, it's only a few hundred people, not the entire planet Earth...

Too me Batman is really  convenient which is why I don't love him as much as everyone else.

Incredible Hulk was the only one to "flop." Both Thor and Cap made back over 2x their budgets, with Thor making back almost 3x. Hulk was like 40 mil short of 2x.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Yeah but at the end of the movie Batman still won. Compare to the first Rocky:

Hide contents

That is another way in which it was riskier.:sparta:

I think there's a fair argument to be made that Batman didn't really win. After all, Harvey became who the Joker wanted him to be, Batman was just able to cover it up for a period of time, and regardless of any issues with TDKR, I think the cover up was never meant to last.

Edited by MrPink

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Hulk wasn't in the MCU.

Just as GL was suppose to start the Dceu The first Hulk movie was the same thing.

This is why TIH starts where it starts.

The film comes on as a sequel to Hulk(I think hat hurt the film as well).

By the way I fucking LoVe TIH and I think it's a very underrated film along with The first Avenger.

1 minute ago, Orestes said:

Incredible Hulk was the only one to "flop." Both Thor and Cap made back over 2x their budgets, with Thor making back almost 3x. Hulk was like 40 mil short of 2x.

By box office rules Thor is basically a break even scenario and Cap flopped.

9 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Titanic was the biggest risk with biggest payoff. 

Same goes to Avatar but lesser extent, Avatar was released in the era where many cinema wasn't even equipped with 3D, digital projector or IMAX

It wasn't just need to deal with market taste,but market capability.......

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

There would be no MCU right now as it is...but someone would have bought Marvel for peanuts (rather than its windfall)...probably Disney again...and eventually, they would have looked for a different starting character and a different concept and tried another movie...and if that worked, they'd have kept going...

Your assuming the quality control and planning would be as good as Kevin Feige's.

Look at the last two Fantastic Fours, Ghost Rider 2, Hulk, Ben Affleck's Daredevil, TASM2, Elektra, The Punisher movies...

All of them were franchise killers.

Marvel has turned characters nobody cares about into global blockbusters: Ant-Man, Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange...

All critical and box office successes.

Marvel Studios puts their writers through boot camps and courses where to live and breathe the history and mythos of these characters.

Black Panther, Luke Cage, Ms Marvel, Infinity War, etc would be in development hell like they've always been.

Edited by grey ghost