CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

It was the "first female superhero movie in years" because studios thought it was a bad idea to produce one. But then WW succeeds massively and suddenly everyone says that Wonder Woman was always supposed to do well, wasn't risky, was a sure bet for $100M OW.

We can thank Marvel for announcing a Captain Marvel movie which forced DC to finally make a Wonder Woman movie after all these years. Competition is a great thing!

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

We can thank Marvel for announcing a Captain Marvel movie which forced DC to finally make a Wonder Woman movie after all these years. Competition is a great thing!

Actually Wonder Woman was announced before Captain Marvel by two months. Kevin Fiege pushed for Panther and CM to happen but Ike Perlmutter wouldn't allow it at first thinking no one would care about them. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I underestimated due to lack of marketing. Then WB blasted all cylinders after GV2 came with marketing. My club was originally under $300M but people said "No, it has to be bolder!"

I don't think there was a lack of marketing, WB was pretty good at debuting trailers with the right films and then just waiting until Guardians was out for the final push. 

Also, many people thought Captain Underpants would hurt it when the opposite happened and some even thought it would do only $130m domestic.... 

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Actually DC announced Wonder Woman before Marvel announced Captain Marvel, sooooooooo...

No, I'm not fueling fanboy wars or anything at all, just correcting you there. Still, totally agree that competition is mutually beneficial, and Marvel and DC not only want the other to succeed, but they respect and like each other. Of course they want to be #1, but they need the other to be relevant. Idiotic brainwashed fanboy trolls who root for one side and just have to throw shade at the other almost "out of obligation" are nothing but no-life shills that live life by the motto of "gotta root for one side like a sports team and automatically hate the other as if it has nothing to enjoy".

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 6

Actually Wonder Woman was announced before Captain Marvel by two months. Kevin Fiege pushed for Panther and CM to happen but Ike Perlmutter wouldn't allow it at first thinking no one would care about them.

Thank Marvel for making the Avengers so successful leading to WB finally get off their asses and make a Justice League and Wonder Woman movies?

No MCU means no DCEU.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Thank Marvel for making the Avengers so successful leading to WB finally get off their asses and make a Justice League and Wonder Woman movies?

No MCU means no DCEU.

Why so aggressive? He was just correcting you.

That's true dceu is answer to mcu.

And civil war and captain marvel are reaction to bvs and wonder woman. This competition has made both get off their asses. Very good.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I actually think Cyborg could do $100M+/$300M+ domestic.

I honestly feel that the story at the core of Victor Stone's narrative is a very compelling one that, in my opinion, a lot of people could relate to. I would not be shocked if Cyborg, starring the JL member that so many people are already dismissing ("Who?" "Nobody cares about Vic Stone!"), became a big, fat, solid hit. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

It's a disgrace that it took 76 years before we got a live action Wonder Woman movie by the way.

That's all on WB for not wanting to take chances on anyone outside of Superman and Batman.

Just want to correct you and point out Catwoman, Jonah Hex and the 200m Green Lantern and Constantine. They took chances, you can't blame them for that. They kept trying to get their shared universe thing going since like the 90's with Burton even. But there were bumps in the way.

• Like 3

This superhero golden era owes everything to the first X-men and Spider-man movies.

If Fox and Sony didn't make those movies such hits, there would be NO Marvel creating MCU to fight back.

Leading to DCEU in response.

Marvel selling those character rights got ALL of this started, and was best thing EVER for the boxoffice.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I honestly feel that the story at the core of Victor Stone's narrative is a very compelling one that, in my opinion, a lot of people could relate to. I would not be shocked if Cyborg, starring the JL member that so many people are already dismissing ("Who?" "Nobody cares about Vic Stone!"), became a big, fat, solid hit. 

I think it's more of how popular Cyborg is among kids. Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go! (although not as good as TT) has Cyborg as a main character and kids from my generation and the next one love Cyborg. 

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

I think it's more of how popular Cyborg is among kids. Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go! (although not as good as TT) has Cyborg as a main character and kids from my generation and the next one love Cyborg. 

Oh, absolutely. The Teen Titans cartoons will certainly be a factor that helps the potential box office of Cyborg. I lost count of how many kids at the school I work at know him from those shows. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cochofles said:

Oh, absolutely. The Teen Titans cartoons will certainly be a factor that helps the potential box office of Cyborg. I lost count of how many kids at the school I work at know him from those shows. 

You're a teacher?