CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Power Rangers has to have the most overpraised opening weekend that I have ever seen. I mean you think it opened with 100 million the way people talk about it. And it's International numbers were non-existent.

I mean, considering that everybody thought it was gonna open to half of its numbers, it's fair that general consensus sees it as a big overperformance.

Too bad it fell off a cliff after its OW though, and those OS numbers made Ghostbusters look good. Shame - I actually thought the movie was fun and not bad.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

Considering the fact that SMH presales were right in line with WW and about half of GOTG2, im really not expecting it to be THAT front loaded. SMH so far is showing it's going to open more than WW and is less than $2M off GOTG2's preview number. Based on this, I'm having a hard time seeing SMH being as front loaded as some folks here are saying it's going to be. 

Yea I know presales aren't for previews or just the weekend, but I think based on what we knew about the presales it was having, the fact that it had $15.4M in previews, imo, shows that it's not really all that front loaded. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I mean, considering that everybody thought it was gonna open to half of its numbers, its fair that general consensus sees it as a big overperformance.

Too bad it fell off a cliff after its OW though, and those OS numbers made Ghostbusters look good. Shame - I actually thought the movie was fun and not bad.

That... thing was released here today only on DVD actually. I passed by it, spit on it and got the Logan Digibook edition instead.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

No, it's not because of the GOTG comp and your projected high end.  It's because you said SS was one of the two best comps and also gave a $100m ow as a reasonable outcome.

It's reasonable low end outcome when we don't have any OD numbers.  Projecting a weekend off previews is talking out of your butt so you better give a large range if you want to be accurate.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

That... thing was released here today only on DVD actually. I passed by it, spit on it and got the Logan Digibook edition instead.

I assume you're talking about Power Rangers, but I would not be shocked if Ghostbusters only came out on DVD now over here of how badly it bombed :rofl:

I didn't hate it that much. Wouldn't say it was... good, but it was fun enough. Easily better than, say, the new Turtles movies, or anything Transformers (bar the 1st one).

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I assume you're talking about Power Rangers, but I would not be shocked if Ghostbusters only came out on DVD now over here of how badly it bombed :rofl:

I didn't hate it that much. Wouldn't say it was... good, but it was fun enough. Easily better than, say, the new Turtles movies, or anything Transformers (bar the 1st one).

Ghostbusters was released on DVD, Bluray and Bluray 4K. PR did way worse than Ghostbusters here. Like, way way worse. PRIS spent a fortune marketing it and it did nothing at the box office.

I think PR is worse than all TF movies and I hated TF5.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

The Tomato Law cannot be denied. His power is immeasurable. The numbers will keep rising and rising.

136m OW, count on it. WOM is great, tomatoes are red, all is good.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Ghostbusters was released on DVD, Bluray and Bluray 4K. PR did way worse than Ghostbusters here. Like, way way worse. PRIS spent a fortune marketing it and it did nothing at the box office.

I wouldn't go that far. Power Rangers isn't fucking 145 minutes long.

10 minutes ago, The Panda said:

It's reasonable low end outcome when we don't have any OD numbers.  Projecting a weekend off previews is talking out of your butt so you better give a large range if you want to be accurate.

Or have confidence in yourself and just pick the number you think is most likely:)...

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Imagine if every MCU and DCEU movie this year does $300M+ domestic.

I'm sure they will. BP could even have a shot if it's well liked since it has some Wonder Woman potential to be a landmark for the genre, which would continue MCU's streak through IW. 

• Like 4

ok yeah, I'm going to break down and do the drive-in tonight to see Spider-man.  I have to be there about  2 hours before the even movie starts, but that will give me time to take a nap since I've been up some 4 am and the second movie, if I stay, will end after 1 am

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Really? You'd think that if there's one country in the world that Power Rangers would do good..... it'd be Japan, but somewhere in the top 30 countries where PR has the most potential, Portugal would be there. PR was literally present throughout my generation's childhood all the way through. If it did worse than Ghostbusters.... Jesus. Does that also mean that Rangers ain't getting a Blu-ray release?

I've not seen TF5 yet (sounds hilarious, though), and I'm in no rush to do it. I could've seen it w/my crush in the theater, but both me and her agreed that this one really isn't worth our money (did go to see Guardians 2 and Wonder Woman w/her, though... :ph34r:).