WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It starts with a disadvantage next weekend. Screens which are making 10-15% of its weekend numbers will just stop playing it thanks to Dunkirk. So any drop will be magnified by that extra percentage.

Not just Dunkirk. Valerian is taking some PLF screens from Apes as well. My local Regal has Dunkirk in IMAX and Valerian in RPX. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I have a gut feeling that the graveyard that is August 2017 could help out the July releases 

Late legs for Dunkirk, Apes and SMH should be pretty good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

I have a gut feeling that the graveyard that is August 2017 could help out the July releases 

Easy to see Dunkirk really legging it out there, Atomic Blonde holding on longer than it usually would, etc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

That's not good.

However it may bounce back the weekend after next and the one after that due to Emoji and Dark Tower double features 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Easy to see Dunkirk really legging it out there, Atomic Blonde holding on longer than it usually would, etc.

Yeah, I'm definitely feeling that Dunkirk will be the biggest benefactor. Interstellar-esque legs wouldn't surprise me. 

• Like 2

Spider-man Homecoming has been performing pretty similarly to Spider-Man 2 since Wednesday. Spider-man 2 made another $117M after its second weekend. That gives Homecoming a pretty decent margin of error to still hit $300M+, even if its late legs aren't quite as strong.

Nothing wrong with a 50% domestic bump over the last film with Spider-Man in it.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, baumer said:

Maybe Spider-man isn't under performing at all.  Maybe there was just that much of a rush factor to it.  

And don't shoot me for saying this but it's also possible the WOM isn't THAT GREAT.  I know plenty of people here that didn't care for it.  It's not going to be the WOM monster than many thought it would be.  

Right, from my own experience, I went to see it with my 16 yo (wife refused to see it) and I wont have a problem with seeing it at least one more time. But to be honest, I had no strong desire to re-watch it right away as I did with WW.  Two friends asked me, how it was and I said it was a really good movie and it was great fun, they said "ok" and that was the full extend of the SM:H movie conversation with them.  I guess they were expecting something else from me like when they asked me about WW and I told them back then that it was a solid 7.5/8 out of 10 movie and I had tickets for another viewing. I don't know the reason why isn't performing as expected. It's hard to explain, like I wrote a while ago my wife wasn't a fan of SH movies but something in the WW film touched her deeply.  I even ask her once again today  to watch Spidey with me instead of WW for the (4th time) and she flat out refused. She told me that it looked too kiddie and it just didn't appeal to her at all. Oh well, I guess...

Edited by LuisDHern
  • Like 3

Just now, aabattery said:

It will benefit Dunkirk, which will open OK but not ball-bustingly fantastic - at this point yes below Interstellar but leg it out like crazy.

• Like 2

I'm getting tired of people saying August is a wasteland. Plenty of midsize films are coming (all OW so don't play cute with me):

The Dark Tower: 20-25M

Detroit: 10-15M

Kidnap: lol

Annabelle: 30-35M

The Nut Job: 10M

The Glass Castle: 7-10M

Hitman's Bodyguard: 20-25M

Logan Lucky: 10-15M

That's not even factoring in indies that will expand like An Inconvenient Sequel, Wind River, Good Time, etc.

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Just curious, but why are some of you saying Spidey could fall less than 20% on its second Sunday?  Isn't 23-26% drop on Sunday in the middle of July more the norm?

I think cause Ant-Man fell 20.8% on the 2nd Sunday I thought 19% as best-case for Spidey is possible.

But you are right, mid July drops more than 20% and goes into low-mid 20s.

Even Minions had a 28% drop on 2nd Sunday.

1 hour ago, Rth Homecoming said:

Neither is performing quite as I thought, so for now lower Apes 19.5,SMH 17.5

I hope this could be like yesterday night, some revised upward in the end, $19.5m to $22m!!! stay even from friday!

I think SMH is missing that visual hook that audiences look for. The most memorable set-piece was lifted straight from Spider-Man 2. The action is so bare bones compared to GV2 colorful, inventive scenes. Or Wonder Woman's inspiring action beats. The action is stripped down from previous entries. That might be a factor in WOM.

On an anecdotal note, my mom won't see it because he's a kid again. The idea of another young inexperienced Spidey has completely turned her off. I can see this affecting older audiences likewise. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm getting tired of people saying August is a wasteland. Plenty of midsize films are coming (all OW so don't play cute with me):

That's not even factoring in indies that will expand like An Inconvenient Sequel, Wind River, Good Time, etc.

Sure gonna look like it a wasteland from a monetary point of view without a 133 million opener this year.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Dark Tower will do 25M... in total.

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Valerian too :) 

Silly younglin. Valerian will be out of most theaters by the time we reach the first August weekend.

• Like 2