WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

3 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

In a world where people don't look at Rotten Tomatoes, there are 4 kinds of word of mouth:

1) Normal word of mouth - "Hey dude, movie is fine, good. I liked it"

2) Insane word of mouth - "Bro!! Movie was great. You have to watch it. I'll probably watch it again! Tal to your friends too!"

3) Negative word of mouth - "Man, I didn't like this movie. Perhaps you might like it. It's not my cup of tea. Good luck"

4) Negative toxic word of mouth - Movie was shit. Please, don't watch it! Don't do that to yourself! It sucks donkey balls. Horrible"

In a world where many people use Rotten Tomatoes before watching movies, there are 4 kinds of word of mouth:

1) Fresh word of mouth - "Bro, critics got it really right this time. Movie was great and delicious. Watch it ASAP!"

2) Barely fresh word of mouth - "You know man, I liked it. It was ok. It could be better. That's all. Feel free to give it a try, if you want"

3) Reverse fresh word of mouth- "Bro, movie is overrated! I was expecting so much more, based on the tomatometer. Good, but not that good"

4) Reverse rotten word of mouth - "Bro, I was expecting shit, but I was surprised. Seriously, give it a try. Critics were really wrong on this one"

So, when a movie like Homecoming gets 93-94% on RT but doesn't get intense word of mouth, that's because this movie is part of the worlds I listed above. It is number 1 ( good word of mouth ) from the first world and number 2 ( barely fresh word of mouth ) from the second world. Both numbers cancel it other, thus explaining the regular performance.

Besides, you can't avoid the "another MCU movie" feeling.  Movies like Deadpool, Logan and Wonder Woman are different and that's why they got intense word of mouth.  GOTG was great for the first time, but it didn't do anythijg new for the second one. So, it was more of the same. Deadpool 2 might be another victim of that, because it's not something new anymore.

Except Logan didn't do great numbers

• Like 1

One thing I wonder about Spider-Man is... where does it go from here? They've already chucked Tony Stark at the franchise, hard to think of how much more they could have sweetened the deal. Maybe a long break would have been a good idea. Still, if it's doing well OS (is it? I haven't checked) then this concern is all moot anyway.

Edited by Hatebox

It's a very poor drop, no excuses there. 

However it is already the sixth highest grossing film domestically this year and with a bunch of franchises dying this summer, it's not too bad for Spidey really. It also improved on ASM2 already, so it's not doom and gloom.

Maybe the franchise just has to build goodwill again. Regardless of quality, the Spider-Man franchise can be compared to a franchise like Twilight. A frontloaded franchise that has a fanbase that always turns up opening weekend and then when it's left for the general audience to give it some legs, they don't as they just don't care and the hunger isn't there anymore.

I never had huge expectations for this film though. I know they pushed Iron Man's involvement and all that but I don't think that will change an audience mind much. Iron Man has been in like 7 films now, audiences will not be that excited to see him again.

I think a sequel could improve though on the goodwill this seems to be creating again but we'll see.

• Like 1

IMDb just put up a list of the 25 highest-grossing CBM

http://www.imdb.com/comic-con/2016-25-highest-grossing-comic-book-movies/ls063108314/?pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=3124104022&pf_rd_r=1YHHRBK8W53W9PCGKNYD&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=15061&pf_rd_i=homepage&ref_=hm_ccn_comnews_hd

aaaand their Wonder Woman numbers are outdated by a week, and they gave GOTG2 the same numbers as GOTG1 :qotd:

They could have also waited until the summer was over before putting this top out. There are no CBM releasing between now and Thor 3 (Valerian doesn't have a shot at this top 25 :ph34r:)

Edited by Daxtreme

7 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

One thing I wonder about Spider-Man is... where does it go from here? They've already chucked Tony Stark at the franchise, hard to think of how much more they could have sweetened the deal. Maybe a long break would have been a good idea. Still, if it's doing well OS (is it? I haven't checked) then this concern is all moot anyway.

Maybe they should give it a rest for a while. Has any other superhero had the insistently frequent ratio of reboots as Spidey? Sony and MCU should make audiences miss him, crave him... 

Edited by Cochofles

20 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I think it will go up. It won't be like Begins to Dark Knight of course - that was nuts - but I expect faith restored and people seeing it over the next three years will work in its favor. If Watts and Co. can make another compelling Spidey, it will probably do better than Homecoming DOM/OS/WW. Again, let's not forget that most/all around here expected another Garfield, Sony Pictures Spidey to decrease from TASM2's $200M DOM. With Marvel Studios, it's going to increase about $100M DOM. It's not the home run many here expected, but it's a definite move in the right direction.

Some of this will definitely depend on how well the next two Avengers flicks are received and how well Spider-man is received in said Avengers sequels.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

I think Homecoming also suffered because of Holland's fatigue. 

Obviously I'm kidding, but I think this Holland guy is really annoying. Guy is everywhere. I don't know. I turn on the computer, and then something about him appears. Then, another interview. Then, another one. Even in the movie, I got the idea he was trying way too hard.

I'm in the minority, but I think this guy is really annoying and his image is being overexposed. Give the guy a rest, lol. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

They should have thrown a grown up Spidey into the MCU and get him to take over Iron mans leadership role or at least as an equal.

I was speaking to my daughter tonight about movies and she said exactly the same thing as I did, she hasn't seen it because they reset his age again.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Smallfoot being moved up? What else do they have in development? 

It's untitled and not Smallfoot. Also two DCEU films for 2020 (2/14 and 6/5) have been dated along with Game Night moving to March 2nd and an event in December 2019.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Obviously I'm kidding, but I think this Holland guy is really annoying. Guy is everywhere. I don't know. I turn on the computer, and then something about him appears. Then, another interview. Then, another one. Even in the movie, I got the idea he was trying way too hard.

I'm in the minority, but I think this guy is really annoying and his image is being overexposed. Give the guy a rest, lol. 

I think you are over estimating how much it really achieve to reach many people, everything on a computer it will be only if you click so that is almost pure "wanted interest about holland people views", almost the same for TV not that the target audience watch it very much. I would ask 100 people outside who is Tom Holland and I doubt many would know.

Just now, YourMother said:

It's untitled and not Smallfoot. Also two DCEU films for 2020 (2/14 and 6/5) have been dated along with Game Night moving to March 2nd and an event in December 2019.

Maybe Adventure Time? Weird to have an untitled film only 11 months away from release. 

I doubt WB will have four DC films in one year, I assume the April and July DC slots will be given to other WB films,

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Gotham City Sirens and Wonder Woman 2 for those DCEU dates is my guess :)