CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Why are we so sure that Dunkirk  will leg it out to a 3 multiplier? 

We're not, but given INTERSTELLAR had excellent legs well past a 3x (and had arguably a more mixed reception), it's a decent assumption. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alli said:

really? People are blaming the leads for Valerian flop? Nobody knows who they are.  They are up-and-coming. A-listers have flops all the time. the concept just wasn't appealing to the masses. it's more of a John Carter than an Avatar.

I agree. Their performances may have hurt the film, but they themselves are not why it flopped.

It flopped because it had no safe brand outside of Besson (whose films are hit and miss with no distinguishable features running through them unlike a Nolan or Tarantino), and the film itself didn't look fresh or appealing.

Besson talks about how Avatar showed that now was the right time for this film, but in the time between Avatar and this movie we've had 2 Star Wars, 3 Star Treks, 2 Guardians of The Galaxy's, John Carter, and Ender's Game. What was supposed to be a redefining spectacle just looked like a bunch of images we've already seen before. That's why it flopped.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Cher too. 

Silkwood was a hit and got her an Oscar nom. 

Mask was a hit. 

Witches of Eastwick was a hit. 

Moonstruck was a huge hit and won her the Oscar. 

Barbra Streisand also (she had a string of box office hits back in the day, as well as Bette Midler and Jennifer Lopez).

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

NOLAN RRRRRANKED:

Inception A+ (who cares if it ripped off Paprika, it's a masterpiece imo)

Memento A+

The Dark Knight A+

The Prestige A

Batman Begins A-

Interstellar A-/B+

Insomnia B+

Following B

The Dark Knight Rises C+/C

Haven't seen Dunkirk yet, but given his track record, I would be shocked if it were anything less than a B- for me.

they may share same traits in term of idea (paprika), but it's far from rip off as they have different direction in storyline, not to mention inception is live-action while paprika being animation.

Inception A

Memento A+

The Dark Knight A+

The Prestige A-

Batman Begins A-

Interstellar B+

Insomnia never saw

Following never saw

The Dark Knight Rises B-

personally I think that nolan's film generally being too clever and lack of emotional element, interstellar was an 2nd attempt after memento, try to engage me with emotional moment, while it worked, but interstellar became the 1st time that i found his film being pretentious.....and confusing, and lack of internal-consistency. Nolan fans like to claim that nolan film was too clever for some dumb to understand, but I think the attempt of trying to make sure your audience get what you want to deliver, it's part of the director task. 

Still, nolan film to me is the live-action of pixar at individual level!  

Just now, Cochofles said:

Barbra Streisand also (she had a string of box office hits back in the day, as well as Bette Midler and Jennifer Lopez).

Oh yeah Streisand was THE #1 female box office draw of the '70s. She dominated the list of top 10 box office draws of the year from the late '60s to the early '80s. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I see a RANKING post and my thumb goes into overdrive to scroll right past it. :kitschjob:

1 minute ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Tdk: 2/10

Tdkr: 10/10

Inception: 5/10

Interstellar: 9/10

Insomnia: 7/10

:WHATanabe: 

• Haha 6

Just now, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

:WHATanabe: 

Look at the grades. Youll see they are just arbitrary numbers....proving that our rankings are useless and subjective. :redcapes:

1 minute ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

We're not, but given INTERSTELLAR had excellent legs well past a 3x (and had arguably a more mixed reception), it's a decent assumption. 

That did 3.96x. But November probably is friendlier leg-wise due to back-loaded openings and Thanksgiving. On top of that INTERSTELLAR has 3.5m counted on Wed-Thu and officially is not part of it's OW. Else it's legs would reduce to (a still big) ~3.75x. It also felt more GA friendly than a war film like Dunkirk, that too where USA didn't have a role. I don't think Dunkirk can cross 3.5x while 3x+ is very likely.

3.1-3.3x will give 150-165 dom with 48-50 ow.

Just now, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Look at the grades. Youll see they are just arbitrary numbers....proving that our rankings are useless and subjective. :redcapes:

For some reason my brain swapped TDK and TDKR at the top, and then those grades seemed accurate for you. :ph34r: 

Here's the thing with Dunkirk for this weekend...

It's been a wealth of riches the last few weeks for the main part of the demo (males aged 25+) - 1st Baby Driver, then Spidey, then Apes, and now Dunkirk...4 movies released in 4 weeks all targeting a lot of that same overlapping demo...and all 4 movies critically received in sky-high ways...

Something usually has to give...people just don't have the time, energy, or funds to hit movie theaters 4 weekends in a row in the summer.  There's just too much to do in the summer outdoors and with family that isn't movies (the winter is much more limiting due to weather and to more mundane weekly lives)...outdoor theater, pool parties, BBQs, free concerts, family vacations, beach trips, etc, etc, etc...

So, people will get behind on the movies...maybe they catch up or maybe they say they'll eventually get to "x" if it's in the theaters or on Netflix...

The good thing for all 4 movies is they likely get a break next week b/c Emoji is not going for their demo and Atomic Blonde is not looking like it will catch on yet...so they could finally all get a moment to breathe...(Baby Driver got the most room to breathe b/c he came 1st - that's always a help:)...

1 minute ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

For some reason my brain swapped TDK and TDKR at the top, and then those grades seemed accurate for you. :ph34r: 

Uh no. Lol. Didnt like Interstellar and loved Inception.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

She can't sing she cant act, her popularity astounded me back when she was relevant.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1