CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Just now, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

I feel like you say this like every other month. :lol: 

Well to be fair, every movie in existence does have different aspects of it that make it unlike anything you've ever seen before due to how the scenes are filmed, how the costumes are designed, what lens and camera they used, etc.

So I technically could say that same phrase after seeing any movie.  I'll probably see that Renegades movie on Labor Day later this year and say that exact phrase and I'll be right :ph34r: 

32 minutes ago, AndyChrono said:

Slightly above average legs IMO.

1. A- Cinemascore is good, but not OMG amazing.

2. Within the span of just a day and half of release, the RT audience score has dropped from over 90%... to below Apes at 86%... and the weekend isn't even over yet.

3. Usually Nolan films hold over 9+ at IMDB for several days because of all his fanboys on there. It's already fallen below 9... and the weekend isn't even over yet.

4. Just a 4 star rating on Fandango

5. Dropping estimates, originally 22M from Asgard, to 20M from Guru, and now its 19.8M. Weekend estimates went from high 50M's and maybe even cracking 60M, now to just low 50M's and its possible it might not even make 50M.

Taken all together, it seems like the Nolan die-hards rushed out on opening day and got sampled by Cinemascore and they gave it an A-. But once the general audience got a crack at the film they didn't seem to like it as much, hence why the aggregated scores over time like RT, Fandango, etc. are consistently dropping. JMO.

Edit: Within the span of my posting this, RT score dropped again to 85%.

Ignore Cinemascore when it comes to Nolan. He makes risky choices in his films and it putts off some people, but it also blows some people out of the water and leads to stronger WOM than you might think with the Cinemascore. 

Inception B+ = 4.7 multiplier

Interstellar B+ = 3.8 multiplier

I don't think Dunkirk will have legs as good as those two, but they are both great examples of how misleading the Cinemascore can be. Meanwhile go look at Captain America 3 and Apes 3. Also good examples in the other direction of how misleading Cinemascore can be. 

• Like 3

SF (Svensk Filmindustri) restored their original 70mm projectors just for Dunkirk. Gonna see tomorrow in one of three theaters in the country screening in 70mm if the effort was worth it.

• Like 1

It's been two days since I've seen seen this and I still can't get that soundtrack out of my head. Chris Nolan and Hans Zimmer are like cookies and milk. Can't wait to get the soundtrack. (and see the film again multiple times)

Dunkirk strikes me as the kind of film that will have better legs, at least for the first couple weeks, than WOM would suggest. It's a true cinematic event and not like anything else that's out, and that alone is going to be attractive to audiences.

19 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

I feel like you say this like every other month. :lol: 

Broken clock, amirite?

• Like 1

WOM is important but just as important is the curiosity factor. That's a big part of what drove Get Out and WW. Not sure if Dunkirk will have that. Depends how hyperbolic the feedback is I think. The Sunday and Monday drops will be very telling.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, afalconer7 said:

It's been two days since I've seen seen this and I still can't get that soundtrack out of my head. Chris Nolan and Hans Zimmer are like cookies and milk. Can't wait to get the soundtrack. (and see the film again multiple times)

This is probably best track of the movie

• Like 1

Was gonna see Dunkirk with my parents today but had a look at the showtimes and I guess that's not happening now.

rvZoBFC.pngQbUUAsA.png

9PM isn't toooo bad but it's kinda late. See what happens I guess.

80sLbvI.png

Oh well.

Just now, aabattery said:

Was gonna see Dunkirk with my parents today but had a look at the showtimes and I guess that's not happening now.

rvZoBFC.pngQbUUAsA.png

80sLbvI.png

Oh well.

At least it's well under 2 hour movie unlike TDKR/Interstellar. 

4 minutes ago, aabattery said:

rvZoBFC.pngQbUUAsA.png

80sLbvI.png

Oh well.

What is Couple seat lol

• Founder / Operator
7 minutes ago, aabattery said:

You know it's an EVENT when Shawn shows up.

It really is. This is the kind of film that demonstrates why you don't need nine-digit box office openings to be a genuine "event". I'm admittedly as much a Nolan fan as anyone, but I'm extremely glad audiences are turning out to support the film so far. After a summer of misfiring franchises, this is (another) clear message to Hollywood about the kind of ambition and immersive experience we want to see studios take more chances at. For an experimental WWII film to open this high without anything in the way of genuine star power beyond Nolan himself is pretty remarkable.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1