Finnick

MOEDAY NUMBERS (The Last Chapter): DUNKIRK:$6.44M | GT:$3.46M | SMH:$3.36M | APES:$2.9M | DP3:$2.32M | VAL:$1.82M | WW:$0.73M

1 minute ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Colin Firth killed 71 innocent religious people in 3 minute 10 seconds.

I think I'm going to rewatch Kingsman tonight.

5 minutes ago, AndyChrono said:

Yes Luc, let's just forget the fact that:

1. Star Wars was all-time box office champ, and one of its sequels is currently domestic box office champ

2. ET was all-time box office champ

3. Jurassic Park was worldwide box office champ

4. Avatar was all-time box office champ, and still worldwide box office champ

4 of the last 5 domestic box office champs have been sci-fi films. No superheroes or US centrism in them either.

ET and Jurassic Park were both more than 20 years ago, Star Wars is a pre-established property, and Avatar was really a hit because of its groundbreaking visuals and Cameron directing.

We can also easily bring up John Carter, Battleship, Jupiter Ascending, Speed Racer, and multiple other recent sci-fi flops instead of those megahits that really don't correlate well to Valerian at all.

2 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Arrival was a great theatre experience but hasn't done well for me upon rewatches. I kinda wish it was more pretentious and not so safe

Arrival was a perfectly fine film up until the epiphany moment which caused the movie to falter for me. It was the movie's big moment and it was handled poorly. Adams and Renner delivered solid performances and I especially liked the interweaving of the family scenes. Villeneuve is still a tremendous filmmaker despite this blemish. I will still rush to see his next film, which is almost here, thankfully.

• Like 1

With Renegades and Leap both moving from LD weekend, there are now no proper wide releases that weekend. There is some Lionsgate Premiere movie, but those barely get a decent theater count. Normally a bad action movie like Mechanic, Transporter, Hitman or similar open on that weekend as one last goodbye to mindless summer movies.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

With Renegades and Leap both moving from LD weekend, there are now no proper wide releases that weekend. There is some Lionsgate Premiere movie, but those barely get a decent theater count. Normally a bad action movie like Mechanic, Transporter, Hitman or similar open on that weekend as one last goodbye to mindless summer movies.

Yep. Wonder Woman and maybe Homecoming are going wide on that weekend.

Just now, grim22 said:

Inhumans is coming out in IMAX that weekend:sparta:

36 minutes ago, grim22 said:

From the Deadline article, STX wanted to change the date, Besson and Europacorp stuck on the date

We never got a good explanation why Besson was obsessed with keeping Valerian on literally the one date he could not use IMAX or market it as an auteur effort to be seen on the biggest screen without being overshadowed. Most foreign distributors moved off the July 21 date.

YXoQiiJ.png

Really running wild with my Photoshop, huh :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

ET and Jurassic Park were both more than 20 years ago, Star Wars is a pre-established property, and Avatar was really a hit because of its groundbreaking visuals and Cameron directing.

We can also easily bring up John Carter, Battleship, Jupiter Ascending, Speed Racer, and multiple other recent sci-fi flops instead of those megahits that really don't correlate well to Valerian at all.

Arrival, martian, interstellar. Fury road while not sci-fi, did pretty good. And valerian was not as offbeat as arrival. 

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I think he meant something good.

Experience the wonder of a TV budget, sets and direction just with IMAX cameras instead, and if you watch this, we won't even give you extra scenes instead saving those for the network premiere.

The wonders of VFX

fzxps7ynrkma0lnhigya.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, damnitgeorge08 said:

Arrival, martian, interstellar. Fury road while not sci-fi, did pretty good. And valerian was not as offbeat as arrival. 

All of those were bolstered by either a highly famous director or great reviews...or even both.  Valerian (sadly) had neither (Besson isn't really a household name like the likes of Nolan/Scott).

Just now, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

All of those were bolstered by either a highly famous director or great reviews...or even both.  Valerian (sadly) had neither (Besson isn't really a household name like the likes of Nolan/Scott).

Well the point was that Besson's reasons for valerian performance are not that reasonable. Offbeat movies with mot so american theme can do good.

29 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

OMG. WOW. After reading this, I have no sympathies whatsoever for Besson and Europacorp. They killed their own movie. When a big hollywood studio like FOX or UNIVERSAL is interested in distributing it, you go with either one. Europacorp would have found a partner later anyways without needing to sacrifice Valerian.

Everything in that article is exactly what I had been saying, i.e. this needed to release in France first in order to build positive buzz before releasing in US & Canada. 

So many assinine decisions. Everyone was on substance it seems. 

Welcome to the EU.

32 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

OMG. WOW. After reading this, I have no sympathies whatsoever for Besson and Europacorp. They killed their own movie. When a big hollywood studio like FOX or UNIVERSAL is interested in distributing it, you go with either one. Europacorp would have found a partner later anyways without needing to sacrifice Valerian.

Everything in that article is exactly what I had been saying, i.e. this needed to release in France first in order to build positive buzz before releasing in US & Canada. 

So many assinine decisions. Everyone was on substance it seems. 

probably Fox or UN wanted a % of the box office...which is fair

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I hope they shell out 10,000 screens for re-expansion.  Megan Leavey!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1