Finnick

MOEDAY NUMBERS (The Last Chapter): DUNKIRK:$6.44M | GT:$3.46M | SMH:$3.36M | APES:$2.9M | DP3:$2.32M | VAL:$1.82M | WW:$0.73M

1 hour ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

The Weinsteins are notorious for getting their piece of shit films a best picture win. SIL over SPR in 98 still makes me puke.

God,for once we agree. IMHO the worst BP misfire in history.

Of course that was also the year that Roberto Bergnini won best actor....1998 was a good year for bad Oscar choices.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

jesus christ.

Are you related to her?

Nope I do not have royal blood (if people are curious why is she getting X opportunity, having powerful family in fashion and publishing will help).

From the Deadline article, STX wanted to change the date, Besson and Europacorp stuck on the date

When the film came to STX, the July 21 date came with it even though it was on the same day that Warner Bros.’ Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk was opening. There was a discussion as to what to do and whether they should move Valerian off that date. The decision was made by Besson and EuropaCorp to stick with the July 21 date.

We never got a good explanation why Besson was obsessed with keeping Valerian on literally the one date he could not use IMAX or market it as an auteur effort to be seen on the biggest screen without being overshadowed. Most foreign distributors moved off the July 21 date.

YXoQiiJ.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I think he's referring to the The Umbrellas of Cherbourg influence, though I'd argue that it's more of a nod then anything else. 

And a couple of the dance numbers scream "Homage to Gene Kelly and the 50's MGM Musicals".

Just now, dudalb said:

And a couple of the dance numbers scream "Homage to Gene Kelly and the 50's MGM Musicals".

Homage isn't the same thing as rip-off though, and there's nothing wrong with making a nod to the older musicals of the past if you ask me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

From the Deadline article, STX wanted to change the date, Besson and Europacorp stuck on the date

We never got a good explanation why Besson was obsessed with keeping Valerian on literally the one date he could not use IMAX or market it as an auteur effort to be seen on the biggest screen without being overshadowed. Most foreign distributors moved off the July 21 date.

YXoQiiJ.png

At this point i actually think he knew it was gonna flop and needed something like Dunkirk to give him a reason to defend himself and the movie. Besson seems to hate american cinema judging by his interviews and statements in the last weeks. Its kinda sad.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The top grossing movie of the summer is starring a woman with a very noticeable Israeli accent and is set in London and only has one American character. Luc Besson is drunk.

Not to mention his statement that none of his films did well in the US; he has already forgotten about "Lucy"? And although not a big hit,"Fifth Element" did fairly well in the US.

God, that rant is almost Trumpian in it's lack of reality.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Homage isn't the same thing as rip-off though, and there's nothing wrong with making a nod to the older musicals of the past if you ask me.

Oh I agree, I really liked La La Land,but agree it is not quite as "Original" as some of it's fans say. Of course you have a bunch of people who have never watched a movie made before they were born;I remember when Gladiator came out people saying how"innovative" a Epic Spectical set in Ancient Rome was......

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Oh I agree, I really liked La La Land,but agree it is not quite as "Original" as some of it's fans say. Of course you have a bunch of people who have never watched a movie made before they were born;I remember when Gladiator came out people saying how"innovative" a Epic Spectical set in Ancient Rome was......

Well it's hard to be completely original these days.

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

At this point i actually think he knew it was gonna flop and needed something like Dunkirk to give him a reason to defend himself and the movie. Besson seems to hate american cinema judging by his interviews and statements in the last weeks. Its kinda sad.

He also seems  intent on  making the box office fail in the US of "Valarien" into an "artistic,brilliant French vs crude,tasteless Americans" issue;sad to say, there is a large audience in France for that sort of crap...though, to be fair, every country seems to have a sizable audience for that sort of crap.

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

He miscalculated the appeal of Dunkirk.  He thought it'd play more to the older crowd and Valerian would play more to the younger crowd.  That's fine if he thought that.  None of us are perfect.  We all make mistakes.

Not to mention, he had the date first, so I could understand why he'd want to keep it.

Why are we re-litigating the Oscars? :rofl: 

It's pretty easy to understand their patterns: it's a body of voters that's basically comprised of your grandparents, and there's a certain amount of voting for personal sentiment in addition to people trying to truly vote for taste. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, grim22 said:

OMG. WOW. After reading this, I have no sympathies whatsoever for Besson and Europacorp. They killed their own movie. When a big hollywood studio like FOX or UNIVERSAL is interested in distributing it, you go with either one. Europacorp would have found a partner later anyways without needing to sacrifice Valerian.

Everything in that article is exactly what I had been saying, i.e. this needed to release in France first in order to build positive buzz before releasing in US & Canada. 

So many assinine decisions. Everyone was on substance it seems. 

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bastien said:

Even the monday is bad for Valerian :(:(

By the way, during his biggest interview in France Luc Besson ironized on the failure of Valerian in the USA: " Never one of my films has worked in the USA" he said " Sci-fi movies that work in the United States are necessarily centered on the US and their heroes are necessarily superheroes. This is not the case of my film. "

Yes Luc, let's just forget the fact that:

1. Star Wars was all-time box office champ, and one of its sequels is currently domestic box office champ

2. ET was all-time box office champ

3. Jurassic Park was worldwide box office champ

4. Avatar was all-time box office champ, and still worldwide box office champ

4 of the last 5 domestic box office champs have been sci-fi films. No superheroes or US centrism in them either.

• Like 2