Finnick

MOEDAY NUMBERS (The Last Chapter): DUNKIRK:$6.44M | GT:$3.46M | SMH:$3.36M | APES:$2.9M | DP3:$2.32M | VAL:$1.82M | WW:$0.73M

45 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I thought it was interesting that the dialogue was more easily understandable in my IMAX viewing than in a regular digital theater (presumably they were piping the 5.1 mix through their Atmos setup). Usually it's the other way around with Nolan movies. 

Laser IMAX was great for me but LieMAX was horrible. Missed 90% of the dialogue in LieMAX. Hoping this Atmos auditorium will provide sound more similar to Laser IMAX. 

7 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Moonlight,12YS, Spotlight, Hurt Locker, Slumdog were 100% political wins. They all sucked too. Slumdog was political cause Hollywood wanted to have slum kids on the stage and drop some donations. I bet they don't even remember those kids anymore, lol. That fad faded as soon as the show was over. 

I don't see why there is something wrong if some political element in movie. An award worthy movie shouldn't just be a technically marvel, but also socially relevant, if movie just produced for the movie-lovers, then we better just sit in a cave and jerk ourselves off non-stop.....

hurt locker looked like a visual poem of war film and is the only suck movie here to me in your list, the others are all great crafted and totally demonstrate the philosopher of visual art....

I understand why it took so many movie to educate people to realise that Micheal bay'S TF was sucked......

1 hour ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

girls trip is going to have mad mad word of mouth. It's hilarious heartbreaking tear-jerking inspiring and Incredibly moving. The theater I was in today with laughing basically from start to finish. I enjoyed it quite a bit as well.

Now I want to see it even more.

I knew it was going to be funny, but I honestly did not even think about it being somewhat of a tearjerking thing too.

Cannot wait!!!! :D 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Nov.  '17. Could Thor go over a Justice League or is that unreasonable? 

nope.gif

I think both will have solid grosses though (JL: $400M/$1.05B and Thor: $280M/$750M).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

I can't begin to stress how disappointing War's performance has been domestically...but overseas it's been downright atrocious.

It's a shame that one of the best movies, if not the best imo of the year isn't doing so well. 

11 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Nov.  '17. Could Thor go over a Justice League or is that unreasonable? 

Absolutely. I'm predicting it to happen.

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

No Wonder Woman boost?

That is the boost :ph34r: 

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Absolutely. I'm predicting it to happen.

That is the boost :ph34r: 

Surprise. Han's underpredicting a WW movie. Still I think it's highly unlikely, JL would have to be pretty much like BVS in terms of reception for that to happen.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JB33 said:

The Oscars are a joke. I used to love watching them - because as a movie buff obviously that's par for the course - but I just can't take it anymore. They're so predictable. You just know an artsy or indie drama film is going to win. Every time.

What's wrong if an artsy or indie drama won? What make you think a blockbuster needs oscar?? i thought our wallet was always at their back if they are good?

Oscar to me, managed to close the sort of "income" gap in between blockbuster and indie film, why is there an urgent need to take care the privilege of top 1% wealthy group if 10% of the "poorest" filmmakers are struggling?   

1 hour ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

The direction is about as competent as an early Kevin Smith film.  The editing looks like they used a super 8 video camera and spliced together scenes.  The cinematography is non existent and some of the acting is terrible and the tone shifts and jump in time line is horrible at times.  So what do you have left?  You have a hot topic now where a young gay black man is being bullied in high school.  Repeat that to yourself again.  I'll do it for you.  You have a young gay black man being bullied in high school.  That's about as sensitive an issue as you have in today's climate.  So the academy rewards it.  Not because it's the best film of the year but because they would look foolish not to.  They got their reputation dragged through the mud last year when #OSCARSOWHITE became a thing.  In years past, films like Do The Right Thing, Boyz N The Hood and Malcolm X were snubbed in almost every way imaginable and no one really cared.  But now with gay rights much more relevant and bullying being at the forefront, this, like Gandhi and other films, were the chosen winner, IMO, not because it was the best film of the year but because it was the most socially relevant and one that would give the academy a reputation boost.  That's my opinion.  I simply don't see Moonlight as anything more than a political cop out....an OOPs my bad, a make up call of sorts.  It's not just not worthy of the oscar, it's just not really a good movie at all.....IMO.

It's so hard to respond to this (especially since I really don't want to have a political discussion). I mean, it's cool you don't like the film. Obviously, I disagree with your assessment of the film, but that's not what I take issue with.

I'll just say this, it really sucks that a movie like Moonlight FINALLY does win best picture and all you hear is 'Oh! It just won cause of politics.' As I said in an earlier post, there are a thousand factors that go into each best picture win throughout the years and, yes, this is often a reflection of the times. What bothers me, however, is how people cherry pick which films they specifically have an issue with and completely undermine the film and its achievements because of these reasons. You don't like the film, cool, but I don't think your assessment of its best picture win is fair at all. And the frustration you and many others express about it's win seems really unjustified (particularly when you look through the academy's history of awarding questionable films).

Edited by nomyth
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I thought it was interesting that the dialogue was more easily understandable in my IMAX viewing than in a regular digital theater (presumably they were piping the 5.1 mix through their Atmos setup). Usually it's the other way around with Nolan movies. 

I wonder if Nolan will use eventually Atmos for his films? 

Laser IMAX is just incredible period. I hope that we'll see it rolled out in more places, in the UK, it's only in two cinemas in the country!