Finnick

MOEDAY NUMBERS (The Last Chapter): DUNKIRK:$6.44M | GT:$3.46M | SMH:$3.36M | APES:$2.9M | DP3:$2.32M | VAL:$1.82M | WW:$0.73M

48 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

At this point i actually think he knew it was gonna flop and needed something like Dunkirk to give him a reason to defend himself and the movie. Besson seems to hate american cinema judging by his interviews and statements in the last weeks. Its kinda sad.

I think you might be onto something. Logic says move to August. But that also means the movie has to stand on its own with no IMAX bad guy to blame.

Not like IMAX would have saved the movie. It only accounted for 25% of Dunkirk's gross and Valerian would do no better in the format. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think you might be onto something. Logic says move to August. But that also means the movie has to stand on its own with no IMAX bad guy to blame.

Not like IMAX would have saved the movie. It only accounted for 25% of Dunkirk's gross and Valerian would do no better in the format. 

The WTF about the release of Valarien for me is not the July 21st release date...questionable as it might be...but why Besson insisted on opening the film in the US  instead of France. It the film was going to be a huge hit and critical success anywhere it would be in France. Then it would have gone into the US and other countries with some momentum. But now it has the albaratross of having flopped in the UD around it's neck;maybe not fatal but it won't help any. And it's underperforming in Germany is a big red flag.

girls trip is going to have mad mad word of mouth. It's hilarious heartbreaking tear-jerking inspiring and Incredibly moving. The theater I was in today with laughing basically from start to finish. I enjoyed it quite a bit as well.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

IMAX hurts Discount Tuesday for sure, but helps the Monday and Wednesday grosses.

I'm actually seeing it tonight on a PLF screen with Dolby Atmos for $5. Normally $14 screen. The show is already about 75% full and I won't be surprised if it's a sellout from walk-ups. 

There's no Atmos Mix

1 hour ago, AndyChrono said:

Yes Luc, let's just forget the fact that:

1. Star Wars was all-time box office champ, and one of its sequels is currently domestic box office champ

2. ET was all-time box office champ

3. Jurassic Park was worldwide box office champ

4. Avatar was all-time box office champ, and still worldwide box office champ

4 of the last 5 domestic box office champs have been sci-fi films. No superheroes or US centrism in them either.

I think that could how used we are to those element, Jedi are kind of superheroes (they have many superhuman capability, Navy arguably so but they do not really count)

As for US centrism, ET is a really american suburb movie, Avatar feature what is for many a clear allegory of the US military of the 2000's, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Themes_in_Avatar#Anti-Americanism

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I am aware of that. But at least it's an Atmos auditorium. They do a better job in general with sound than LieMAX. 

I thought it was interesting that the dialogue was more easily understandable in my IMAX viewing than in a regular digital theater (presumably they were piping the 5.1 mix through their Atmos setup). Usually it's the other way around with Nolan movies. 

2 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

What are the chances of thor 3 becoming the highest grossing movie of all time in NZ?

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

Fuck all.

Was on the train before and was busy for a bit, but to expand on this it is very unlikely. I doubt it can even make the top 10.

Per Rth, this the top 10:

all Time
1-Avatar        17,367,465
2-TFA            14,630,909
3-FOTR            14,609,037
4-ROTK            13,619,235
5-Titanic        12,967,660
6-HFTWP            12,200,238
7-TT            12,138,081
8-AUJ            11,593,367
9-Shrek2        10,858,814
10-DOS            9,418,868

(Taika's Boy is #11)

Avengers is in the top 15 (made about NZD8.8M) while Ultron and Iron Man 3 are quite a bit lower, both made roughly ~NZD6.5M. If they reallllly play up Taika's involvement it has a shot of matching those two but we seem to be a narcissistic bunch and Thor 3 doesn't seem quite New Zealand (or James Cameron) enough to break into that top 10. Maybe if they filmed it in New Zealand it would do more :ph34r:

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

girls trip is going to have mad mad word of mouth. It's hilarious heartbreaking tear-jerking inspiring and Incredibly moving. The theater I was in today with laughing basically from start to finish. I enjoyed it quite a bit as well.

Wow, I expected another by-the-book "raunchy females" comedy.

Looks like I bet on the wrong one. I put Rough Night in my top 15 instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Arrival, martian, interstellar. Fury road while not sci-fi, did pretty good. And valerian was not as offbeat as arrival. 

I always thought dystopian, apocalypse stuff was sci fi because it deals with the future.

5 hours ago, nomyth said:

Let's be real about this one. We're not debating the film's quality. I don't care who does or doesn't like the movie. What I'm debating is the fact that the sole reason people care for this movie is because it's about a gay black man. That is what you and many others assert about this film and, I'm sorry, but I do have to disagree with that assertion. Vehemently.

The direction is about as competent as an early Kevin Smith film.  The editing looks like they used a super 8 video camera and spliced together scenes.  The cinematography is non existent and some of the acting is terrible and the tone shifts and jump in time line is horrible at times.  So what do you have left?  You have a hot topic now where a young gay black man is being bullied in high school.  Repeat that to yourself again.  I'll do it for you.  You have a young gay black man being bullied in high school.  That's about as sensitive an issue as you have in today's climate.  So the academy rewards it.  Not because it's the best film of the year but because they would look foolish not to.  They got their reputation dragged through the mud last year when #OSCARSOWHITE became a thing.  In years past, films like Do The Right Thing, Boyz N The Hood and Malcolm X were snubbed in almost every way imaginable and no one really cared.  But now with gay rights much more relevant and bullying being at the forefront, this, like Gandhi and other films, were the chosen winner, IMO, not because it was the best film of the year but because it was the most socially relevant and one that would give the academy a reputation boost.  That's my opinion.  I simply don't see Moonlight as anything more than a political cop out....an OOPs my bad, a make up call of sorts.  It's not just not worthy of the oscar, it's just not really a good movie at all.....IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I always thought dystopian, apocalypse stuff was sci fi because it deals with the future.

Usually yes, if they are an extension/exploration/allegory of what human nature or system incentive could lead people to do (Say like an Hunger Games) it is Sci-fi yes.

on Imdb:

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

R | 2h | Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi 

It tend to be in the soft-Sci/fi (versus hard sci-fi), that deal with social science/sociology.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Rth Homecoming said:

135-140

I was thinking maybe it could have Jason Bourne legs.

Jason Bourne did 4.238 in previews.  Removing previews from opening weekend and total gross gives 54.977 OW and 158.196 total.  That is a multiplier of 2.877.

War for the Planet of the Apes did 5.012 in previews.   Removing that from OW gives 51.251 and multiplying by multiplier 2.877 gives a guesstimated total of 147.45.  Add in previews and it passes 150!  Hmmmm, maybe this might be the high end considering more competition this August skewing older (Dunkirk, Atomic Blonde, Detroit, Dark Tower, Kidnap, Inconvenient Truth 2) versus last year (Suicide Squad, Florence Foster, War Dogs, Ben-Hur, Mechanic 2)