Finnick

MOEDAY NUMBERS (The Last Chapter): DUNKIRK:$6.44M | GT:$3.46M | SMH:$3.36M | APES:$2.9M | DP3:$2.32M | VAL:$1.82M | WW:$0.73M

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Take you girlfriend to see Big Sick. Or, wait, did she already see it?

She hasn't. I think she'd really like it though seems very up her ally so I certainly am thinking about that

The Weinsteins are notorious for getting their piece of shit films a best picture win. SIL over SPR in 98 still makes me puke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

HISTORY. Its a completely average film that wouldn't have even been nominated in different ear. But because the academy snubbed so many black actors in Black directors from the year before they had to atone for it. Making moonlight some sort of deity of sorts.

Again, I didn't love it. But, it was arguably the best reviewed film of the year and just about everyone I talked to that saw adored the fuck out of it. Like... It knocked them the fuck out.

1 minute ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

HISTORY. Its a completely average film that wouldn't have even been nominated in different ear. But because the academy snubbed so many black actors in Black directors from the year before they had to atone for it. Making moonlight some sort of deity of sorts.

They nominated 20 non black actor in 2015 resulting in the #oscarsowhite controversy, they went ahead and nominated 20 non black actor right away the year after in 2016 and what won ?, the very white Spotlight.

I think many overrate how much voters care about what people think of their choice. The movie had a 99 metacritic, 98% rotten tomatoes score, on what standard/what is your argument that it is an average film ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Dunkirk # is official:

1 (1) Dunkirk Warner Bros. $6,444,109 -51% 3,720 $1,732   $56,957,597 4
2 (2) Girls Trip Universal $3,464,800 -58% 2,591 $1,337   $34,666,720 4
3 (3) Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony Pictures $3,361,636 -51% 4,130 $814   $255,213,302 18
4 (4) War for the Planet of the Apes 20th Century Fox $2,603,761 -60% 4,100 $635   $100,838,898 11
5 (6) Despicable Me 3 Universal $2,326,850 -41% 3,525 $660   $215,947,125 25
6 (5) Valerian and the City of a … STX Entertainment $1,820,364 -60% 3,553 $512   $18,827,988 4
7 (7) Baby Driver Sony Pictures $922,117 -49% 2,503 $368   $85,226,968 27
8 (8) Wonder Woman Warner Bros. $730,589 -49% 1,971 $371   $389,741,896 53
9 (9) The Big Sick Lionsgate $622,557 -56% 2,597 $240   $25,170,078 32
10 (10) Cars 3 Walt Disney $377,939 -37% 1,294 $292   $144,391,201 39

Will Spidey hop Girls Trip on Wednesday?  I expect GT to have a huge night tonight for cheap Tuesday, but GT seems to only play at night and Spidey seems to play all day, so could we see Spidey again make up the weekend by midweek (like he did on Apes)?  I think I'd expect Girls Trip to hop back over the weekend, unless it doesn't show the legs people are expecting (I haven't see it and I don't call comedies after my disasters this summer, so I'm not gonna even guess on these legs til weekend 2:)...

Legs of animations 2017,

DM3 3.5-3.6x (at 253-260 dom)
BB 3.47x
SMURFS3 3.38x
LEGO BAT 3.32x
CARS3 2.8x (at 150)

I'm most impressed by Boss Baby's run, most people here were expecting it to disappoint.

No real animation competition for 11 weeks.

Boy, did DWA get lucky with the release date for Boss Baby. This is another movie belongs in the "release date saves a movie" category.
  • Like 1

It bothers me how the same people who tell people that they shouldn't judge Transformers and Baywatch can say with absolute certainty that Moonlight is pure mediocrity and only got good reviews because it was by people of color.

Movie taste is subjective! And just because you got nothing out of the movie doesn't mean everyone who did is lying or has some political agenda!!!! I LOVED Moonlight. That doesn't mean I'm full of shit. And I can understand not everyone loving it like I did. I hated Birdman. But I'm not gonna go around and act like I was right and everybody else was wrong.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Wrong. I hope you're not stating your opinion as fact. You're just going to negate the fact that it was highest rated movie of all nominees on RT and  Metacritic? The movie deserved that win. To disregard that and say that race had a lot to do with it is not cool.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Too proud. Too egoistic. Besson is getting old. 

The way he said it was not contemptuous.  He wanted, I think, to say that Americans love america, and that this foreign film on foreign characters is not for them.

11 minutes ago, nomyth said:

It bothers me how the same people who tell people that they shouldn't judge Transformers and Baywatch can say with absolute certainty that Moonlight is pure mediocrity and only got good reviews because it was by people of color.

Movie taste is subjective! And just because you got nothing out of the movie doesn't mean everyone who did is lying or has some political agenda!!!! I LOVED Moonlight. That doesn't mean I'm full of shit. And I can understand not everyone loving it like I did. I hated Birdman. But I'm not gonna go around and act like I was right and everybody else was wrong.

So i should not be allowed to state an opinion?

Everyone is allowed to state their opinion. But its annoying if one states it as a FACT. Im totally ok with anyone who says that, in his/her opinion Moonlight deserved its win/didnt deserve it. Just stating, without reasoning, that it didnt deserve it, practically declaring their opinion to be more important than others, isnt ok.

This post isnt directed at a specific poster. Its just an observation from me on various movie forums. I made this mistake as well and still make it sometimes, but i try to avoid it.

• Like 3

I am not trying to be pretentious, but you have questionable taste if you praise La La Land. The movie literally recreates scenes in classic musicals and a few non-musicals and tries to parade as innovative. The praise that a movie that derivative receives is utterly perplexing. I have not seen Moonlight yet, but I will probably like it because I love arthouse movies. Arrival is my favorite movie of 2016, so I have to go with that as my favorite amongst the nominees. I have no plans on watching Hacksaw Ridge or Manchester by the Sea.