MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

ditto on the over sexualized stuff in Atomic Blonde marketing. Wonder Woman was smart not to over sexualize the character.

Atomic Blonde seems beneath Theorn.

Charlize Theron should totally be doing Wonder Woman.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Charlize Theron should totally be doing Wonder Woman.

She should be doing a supporting role instead of being the lead in her own action film?  Why?  

If you mean she should be WW (or Captain Marvel) then that's another matter.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

She is releasing a movie with a nearly 0% RT this weekend (one month after it got a DirecTV release) and you are picking on Atomic Blonde between the 2.... ;)

Producing/leading an action movie after Fury Road and getting David Leitch to do it (with him quitting John Wick 2 to do this one) after he just did an acclaimed action movie like John Wick, with Goodman and Mcavoy co-staring, getting a nice wide release (it is on the biggest screen of my multiplex) from Universal is not bad at all, really not bad at all in today environment. In fact few movie getting wide release were better opportunity for an actor this year imo.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

I don't see a problem with Atomic Blonde's numbers. If it gets to $20M then that's a really solid start for it. I have no idea how audiences are reacting to the film, but I don't see how a sequel doesn't get green lit. It cost $30M to make so it's definitely gonna be a profit for the studio. And if they can make a sequel after it, then there's potential to have an Atomic Blonde franchise similar to John Wick. 

Remember John Wick made $14.5M OW and grossed like $45M. Atomic Blonde is gonna pass those numbers and have the potential to gain more fans via home video similar to what John Wick did. 

• Like 5

I was always worried about AB underperforming because I absolutely knew for certain that everyone was gonna scapegoat Theron's sexuality and act like that was the big problem. And, I'm sorry, but I think you guys are being totally unfair.

First! Can people stop ignoring the fact that Theron was producer on this film and had a lot of creative control and input? Secondly, I'm just tired of the female sexuality discussion because I legit think people have a near impossible time taking a woman seriously when she's owning her sexuality. Especially if her sexuality excludes men.

Everybody gets so defensive about the male gaze that I think they forget that gay/bisexual women exist and need representation in mainstream cinema as well.

My best friend pointed out that in Mad Max they practically had to completely de-sexualize her in order for people to take her character seriously. And, judging by the comments here, it sounds like the same thing was largely true for WW. Yes, the male gaze sucks and if you want to criticize a film like BitWC for that, it would make a lot more sense (considering what the actresses had to say after the fact). But it was ALWAYS clear that this was Theron's idea and it was done on her terms. I won't argue that it wasn't heavily featured in the promotion. It clearly was. But the idea that the film is underperforming for that reason seems like another way to scrutinize female sexuality.

Spy flicks tend to be hit and miss and nobody ever expected a huge opening for AB so I really don't understand why everybody's already trying to come up with reasons why this didn't make more money.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, nomyth said:

I was always worried about AB underperforming because I absolutely knew for certain that everyone was gonna scapegoat Theron's sexuality and act like that was the big problem. And, I'm sorry, but I think you guys are being totally unfair.

First! Can people stop ignoring the fact that Theron was producer on this film and had a lot of creative control and input? Secondly, I'm just tired of the female sexuality discussion because I legit think people have a near impossible time taking a woman seriously when she's owning her sexuality. Especially if her sexuality excludes men.

Everybody gets so defensive about the male gaze that I think they forget that gay/bisexual women exist and need representation in mainstream cinema as well.

My best friend pointed out that in Mad Max they practically had to completely de-sexualize her in order for people to take her character seriously. And, judging by the comments here, it sounds like the same thing was largely true for WW. Yes, the male gaze sucks and if you want to criticize a film like BitWC for that, it would make a lot more sense (considering what the actresses had to say after the fact). But it was ALWAYS clear that this was Theron's idea and it was done on her terms. I won't argue that it wasn't heavily featured in the promotion. It clearly was. But the idea that the film is underperforming for that reason seems like another way to scrutinize female sexuality.

Spy flicks tend to be hit and miss and nobody ever expected a huge opening for AB so I really don't understand why everybody's already trying to come up with reasons why this didn't make more money.

Forget it, @nomyth, it's BOT-town. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Patty Jenkins toally needs to bring Charlize Theron to Wonder Woman 2.

Charlize Theron as a cheetah.

While talking about breaking into the industry, David Sandberg said that he was at WB recently and looking at all the concept art and they were telling him "Charlize is attached to this picture, Rock to that pic" etc. So there seem to be plans for Charlize for sure. 

• Like 2

Charlize "discovered" Jlaw and gave her her first shot in a prestigious Hollywood movie.

So I demand nothing but respect for the Theron.

-_-

Edited by The Futurist

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

Ironically we were on the same side of the world not too long ago ;) BUT 

You should have said hello when you in the UK...I was missing Americans near the end of our stay...