baumer

Dunkirk Tuesday Numbers: Dunkirk 4.48...WW 575K

7 minutes ago, MrPink said:

In the case of Wonder Woman at least, I think the hope is that it drops like Wednesday two weeks ago. Had a similar 30%+ increase on Tuesday, but only dropped 25% on Wednesday.

Funny thing about percentages, a 35% increase followed by a 25% decrease gets you right back to the same number.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If those films stuck to their release dates (I don't for a second believe Episode IX will stay in May), 2019 would be peak BO for Disney.

I want SW9 to move to December, so WB will move Wondy to June 2020. WW needs to be in the summer.

Also three years between WW movies seems like the best, I mean she is already going to be in JL this year so fans will be getting her twice in 2017.

30 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Yeah given the lack of real competition, $200M is still in the cards.

I think it's dead.

Question is can the movie build enough of a lead on Interstellar to deal with the holiday boost Interstellar had during Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year holidays? If it's able to keep pace then it will end up pushing close to $190m. Could be very tough though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I want SW9 to move to December, so WB will move Wondy to June 2020. WW needs to be in the summer.

Also three years between WW movies seems like the best, I mean she is already going to be in JL this year so fans will be getting her twice in 2017.

But WW2 has a better chance of grossing 400 million in December due to the holiday's legs of gold! I want her first two films to gross 400 million!!!! :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But WW2 has a better chance of grossing 400 million in December due to the holiday's legs of gold! I want her first two films to gross 400 million!!!!

WW being in June means it gets summer weekdays (which powered WW to 400M), being in December means less competition (though I would consider Frozen 2 to be pretty big). It's a trade off.

1 minute ago, filmnerdjamie said:

It will. Disney also swore up and down The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi were going in May... when yeah they never truthfully were.

Also I imagine The Lion King moves too.

Why would Lion King move? It has a great spot (same as TDK/Inception). The Avatar/Titanic/TFA spot is better, but mid to late July is about as good as you can get outside of mid-December. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Why would Lion King move? It has a great spot (same as TDK/Inception). The Avatar/Titanic/TFA spot is better, but mid to late July is about as good as you can get outside of mid-December. 

Because The Lion King would be the centerpiece of any other studio's entire slate for the year... but it's following Episode IX (which again I think will move), The Avengers 4 and Toy Story 4. Plus Spring has proven to be the better slot for these live-action/animated redos. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, miketheavenger said:

Dunkirk actually had a slightly bigger Tuesday increase than WW did, which is really impressive. It will probably drop harder on Wednesday, but that's still a very good sign.

I think WW's at the point where people will go see it on any day.  It's been plastered all over the news that it's heading to 400 million and that this is a bit of a historic run.  And people want to be a part of that.

13 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Because The Lion King would be the centerpiece of any other studio's entire slate for the year... but it's following Episode IX (which again I think will move), The Avengers 4 and Toy Story 4. Plus Spring has proven to be the better slot for these live-action/animated redos. 

I agree...Disney might want to open up that schedule and space their sequel tentpoles/remakes a little to avoid fatigue...

I'd do Lion King in the spring, Avengers IV and Toys IV in the traditional summer dates and spacing, and Star IX in the winter...and I'd have smaller (and cheaper) more original/premier concepts surrounding the big 4 for that year...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Summer is ALL ABOUT the huge openings so sequels tend to work best here since it is all about maximizing the OW.

Winter is ALL ABOUT the legs, so original movies like Frozen have the most potential to break out here.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Summer is ALL ABOUT the huge openings so sequels tend to work best here since it is all about maximizing the OW.

Winter is ALL ABOUT the legs, so original movies like Frozen have the most potential to break out here.

Well....

1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $247,966,675 26.5% 4,134 $59,982 $936,662,225 12/18/2015
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Summer is no longer exclusive to big blockbusters (sequels, redos, whatever). In fact, that's Hollywood's problem. There needs to be a cooling off period in any industry. But instead they want every single weekend now to be summer... which is exactly what Lucas and Spielberg were warning everyone about a few years back... and got ignored.

But what do they know? They only invented the modern day blockbuster model that's been replicated for 40+ years now. Fuck those guys, am I right?!

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I agree...Disney might want to open up that schedule and space their sequel tentpoles/remakes a little to avoid fatigue...

I'd do Lion King in the spring, Avengers IV and Toys IV in the traditional summer dates and spacing, and Star IX in the winter...and I'd have smaller (and cheaper) more original/premier concepts surrounding the big 4 for that year...

Agreed.