baumer

Dunkirk Tuesday Numbers: Dunkirk 4.48...WW 575K

3 minutes ago, AJ2k said:

You have to consider the circumstances. My brother has 4 kids so there's no way in hell he's shelling out $$$ to buy tickets for 6 people (or getting a babysitter) unless the movie is something that can't be missed. And honestly in hindsight the RT rating is rarely wrong. He would have been beyond pissed if he had wasted his money to take his kids to the Emoji movie only to find out it was terrible. 

That's obviously a different situation than, say, one person deciding to not see a movie because """"just"""" 55% or something of critics liked the movie

Lol at that Emoji surge.

I generally believe in the value of good reviews but we have to understand that their effect is 10 times smaller in kids movies.

When kids are interested in a movie, because it looks funny/good parents won't  say them no just because RT says it is not good.

DM3 could have had a 20% on RT and still do 900m WW.

Just look at e Lego Batman as an example compared to Boss Baby. The first one underperformed while having grrat reviews while the other one over performed big Time while being rotten.

14 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Guardians Vol. 1 did $333M DOM

It's kind of a silly comparison given there's pretty difference between kids in school in the last week of August v. the first few days of August. That said, Spidey should finish somewhere between $315M and $330M DOM. I'm with you there. I'd honestly peg it to finish with just over/under Suicide Squad.

After some harsh early dips due to being frontloaded, Spidey's gonna finish with very, very respectable total DOM and damn impressive total WW. Should easily do $100M+ in China once it opens there. With Iron Man in the marketing and Spidey already hugely popular there, I'm thinking more like $125M+ in China.

Actually, that's a good question... What are those that follow China box office returns expecting from Homecoming in China?

I'm well aware of that. My point is that Homecoming is simply better positioned than SS and it's enjoying better WOM. See the comparisons I did on the Homecoming thread to see what I'm talking about. If somehow Homecoming fell from a cliff and started performing just like SS from this day forward, SS made more $39.63m. That would get Homecoming to $321.9m. I don't think that's happening, I think Homecoming will keep performing above Squad for a good period of time, getting enough gas in the tank for something around $325m-$340m dom. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, a2knet said:

It's releasing one week before Apes and that will have a negative impact (on both movies).

Probably right but movies in China tend to make a lot of money very quickly and then fizzle. It'll have made A LOT in just seven days. Then, War will do well too. Gonna say $100M+ for War and $130M+ for Homecoming.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I'm well aware of that. My point is that Homecoming is simply better positioned than SS and it's enjoying better WOM. See the comparisons I did on the Homecoming thread to see what I'm talking about. If somehow Homecoming fell from a cliff and started performing just like SS from this day forward, SS made more $39.63m. That would get Homecoming to $321.9m. I don't think that's happening, I think Homecoming will keep performing above Squad for a good period of time, getting enough gas in the tank for something around $325m-$340m dom. 

I'd love to see place just above Spider-man 3 unadjusted DOM. That'd be incredible

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Lol at that Emoji surge.

I generally believe in the value of good reviews but we have to understand that their effect is 10 times smaller in kids movies.

When kids are interested in a movie, because it looks funny/good parents won't  say them no just because RT says it is not good.

DM3 could have had a 20% on RT and still do 900m WW.

Just look at e Lego Batman as an example compared to Boss Baby. The first one underperformed while having grrat reviews while the other one over performed big Time while being rotten.

Domestically The Boss Baby and Lego Batman were only $1m apart, OS is where the Boss Baby did better. 

The Emoji Movie isn't going to lose money but it's not going to be a success for Sony and I think they should be worried about the future of SPA since none of their animated films so far have failed to crack $100m domestically, Smurfs did better OS but in the eye of Sony, the film was a flop.

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'd love to see place just above Spider-man 3 unadjusted DOM. That'd be incredible

And if it breaks out in Japan/China, it might do just enough to become the highest grossing Spider-Man film of all time unadjusted. How is that for a second reboot in 5 years? :lol:

Speaking of SW, what's the O/U for the number of days TLJ needs to pass BatB? 11 days? That would be Christmas Day. If TFA can rocket past $500M in 10 days, surely TLJ can clear that hurdle on the big holiday. Or will it need another day or two? Or will the unthinkable happen and it jumps past $503M+ on day 9 or earlier?

Edited by LonePirate

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Here is a simple test for the dipshit studios who think Rotten Tomatoes is a bad thing.....

Name a single movie that was ever hurt by good critics reviews or critics scores.  

You can't?  Ok.

That means the only danger is a few movies getting caught up in mediocre to bad reviews.  I would say maybe 10% at most that end up in that range are there unjustly because they were ahead of their time or critics simply didn't get it.  Guess what?  That has always happened throughout the history of cinema and long before RT happened.  

Basically the only thing that has changed is the studios can't trick the public into watching their garbage products and they are making better movies because of it.  Seems like a win for everyone except executives that have no talent and don't know what they are doing. 

No one in their minds can think that good reviews may hurt a movie. It goes without a saying. But there are a few people, including me, who think that they may not have a good impact on the movie either If other factors are problematic. A good example is Apes which although garnering acclaim undoubtedly underperformed.

Regarding Rotten Tomatoes, my problem is that it completely simplifies the whole review process. Art is not black or white. You can not just go rotten/fresh. I would be much happier had they been using the average score.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That Floating Guy said:

I don't respect people who don't see a movie just because "lol the rt score is at a 54%, was gonna see it before but bad reviews so not seeing it now."  See the fucking movie if you're interested in it, don't skip it just because a sampling of people didn't like it.

Costs money to go to the movies, man. Can't blame someone for not going if they think they might get something mediocre.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Costs money to go to the movies, man. Can't blame someone for not going if they think they might get something mediocre.

I'm talking about movies that people are already looking forward to.  "I was really looking forward to that one movie, but now it has a mixed RT score so nope I'll go see this movie I have no interest in but it has good reviews so I must be getting something good."

It's obviously a different situation if it's a movie you were never looking forward to that gets shitty reviews.  People should have their own opinions instead of relying on a consensus of a small group of people.

37 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Guardians Vol. 1 did $333M DOM

It's kind of a silly comparison given there's pretty difference between kids in school in the last week of August v. the first few days of August. That said, Spidey should finish somewhere between $315M and $330M DOM. I'm with you there. I'd honestly peg it to finish with just over/under Suicide Squad.

After some harsh early dips due to being frontloaded, Spidey's gonna finish with very, very respectable total DOM and damn impressive total WW. Should easily do $100M+ in China once it opens there. With Iron Man in the marketing and Spidey already hugely popular there, I'm thinking more like $125M+ in China.

Actually, that's a good question... What are those that follow China box office returns expecting from Homecoming in China?

I expect around 800(115+) mill yuan but @Gavin Feng has it a little lower around 700 mill(100+)

Its a tough one to predict when theater losses are so massive in China sometimes. And on its 8th day it faces Apes..

But i strongly feel that 100 mill $ is the floor and with Iron Man in the promotion anything can happen.. I would not blink twice if it does 150 mill but i'll stay lower for now..

Maybe @firedeep or @Olive wants to weigh in?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

I'm talking about movies that people are already looking forward to.  "I was really looking forward to that one movie, but now it has a mixed RT score so nope I'll go see this movie I have no interest in but it has good reviews so I must be getting something good."

It's obviously a different situation if it's a movie you were never looking forward to that gets shitty reviews.  People should have their own opinions instead of relying on a consensus of a small group of people.

Eh. You're saying this from the perspective of someone who sees literally every movie. Some people just don't like going to the movies that much, and I can't really blame them if they skip something if they doubt it's worth their time. 

Edited by aabattery

Just now, aabattery said:

Eh. You're saying this from the perspective of someone who sees literally every movie. Some people just don't like going to the movies that much, and I can't really blame them if they skip something if they have doubt it's worth their time. 

I'm not talking about those kind of people that see very few movies a year and are selective about what they see (the ones that will see like 3 or 4 movies and have them be Wonder Woman, Star Wars, GOTG 2, and Beauty and the Beast or something like that).  I'm talking about people who see a decent amount of movies per year (10-20, give or take a few), and then decide to not see a certain movie they were already excited for because of a number.

27 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Somehow I don't think Homecoming will be affected that much. Apes? Hell yes. 

It will shave off 20-25 mill in total compared to if nothing big opend on Homecomings 2nd weekend IMO

The percentage you need to get over to be received as fresh is 60% (or maybe 65%??? not sure).

What If you have two different movies that lets say the first one gains a 62% with an average of 5.2 and the second one gets a 59% (rotten) and yet a 5.4 average??

That's my problem with RT. You can have movies that have the same reception getting different certifications.... 

• Like 1