Alli

Weekend Thread. Dark Tower 19.5...Dunkirk 17.6....Emoji 12.3...Girls Trip 11.4 not sure what page| Not the sex thread

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

@CJohn my theater today:

Reveal hidden contents

Dark Tower: 103/744

Kidnap: 50/354

Dunkirk: 50/565

Lion King: 44/402

DM3: 31/312

SMH: 29/390

GT: 26/390

Emoji: 25/327

Apes: 22/354

Atomic: 20/390

Detroit: 18/450

Valerian: 9/264

WW: 6/69

Dark Tower looking solid. Kidnap as well.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Alli said:

Too bad about Atomic Blonde. A pure badass heroine just isn't enough to sell these days. This movie needed Angelina Joile. Charlize is not big enough star to put assess in seats.

Stars don't put asses in the seats like they used to anyway. It's more about the concept, and Blonde's was niche from the get-go.

28 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I think the marketing failed to make it look deeper than 'action and oomph'.

A lot of the marketing struck me as being "isn't she badass?" I don't think they could have sold it much differently honestly.

Edited by Fancyarcher

10 minutes ago, Alli said:

Of course she's still huge. Maleficent was a hit.    Anyway Salt sold exclusively on AJ's name and it was a major hit. Guess you're right...AB didn't reach the general audience, just hardcore action fans

Salt was nearly a decade ago. Maleficent, just like the other WDAS live action reboots, sold well only partly because of her but mostly because of the property.

Detriot's budget wasn't much. These "bombing" remarks are silly. Enough with that.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Alli said:

Too bad about Atomic Blonde. A pure badass heroine just isn't enough to sell these days. This movie needed Angelina Joile. Charlize is not big enough star to put assess in seats.

Atomic Blonde was never making a ton of money. John Wick only made 43mil in 2014 and 92mil in 2017. I have no idea why certain people had astronomical expectations for Atomic Blonde. At best it was always going to do 70ish million. It's just not a blockbuster type of film.  That's like expecting the Wick movies to do 130-150mil. Why would they?

Personally I think better trailers would have netted Blonde that early to mid 20's opening that everyone wanted it to open with. But alas they went the "isn't she hot!" And male gaze Lesbian make out session bro!" advertising route. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

New releases aren't really that welcoming as Dark Tower will either break-even or make modest profit overseas or both. Detroit at first could have been Hidden Figures, but instead turned out to be Patriot's Day with Dunkirk attracting the older adult crowd. 

Kidnap shouldn't be a horrible start, but nothing to set the studio or Halle Berry's career on fire.

I'll never get the sort of bitterness I see directed towards Megan Ellison. She's doing the type of movies that people say that people with her means should do. I'm not saying that anybody in here is bitter about it but I've seen other people.  I say go Megan Ellison, keep making those important movies that aren't about superheroes.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, the beast said:
BoxOffice @BoxOffice
Following
More

#AtomicBlonde earned an estimated $2.42M on Friday. Domestic total is now $28.3M.

7:41 AM - 5 Aug 2017

I don't think it can go below 8m (-56%).

2.42 + 3.38 (+40%) +2.2 (-35%) = 8

Gives it 34 cume. 3x the weekend more gives 34 + 8*3 = 58 dom.

Edited by a2knet