Alli

Weekend Thread. Dark Tower 19.5...Dunkirk 17.6....Emoji 12.3...Girls Trip 11.4 not sure what page| Not the sex thread

Just now, filmlover said:

Hidden Figures had a lot more going for it than Detroit does (a much bigger cast of famous names compared to the mostly unknowns of the latter and a strong appeal for an underserved older demographic) even beyond having a more awards-friendly release. Pretty obvious which movie has the stronger box office potential there.

Not to mention one is a little more family friendly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm sure it'll be good at least. The casting is interesting and varied.

Poor career choices (she was big for a few years), and she's not exactly great when it comes to picking scripts either.

I'm surprised Paramount dropped out, you'd think after the success of The Big Short, they'd be keen on Adam McKay's next project. 

Halle did two series of Extant for CBS which she was also a producer so I imagine she'll be sought after for TV projects much like Viola Davis was. 

Looking at what my theater sold earlier and how it's doing today:

The Dark Tower and Dunkirk are pretty much neck and neck; the shows so far had around 40 seats sold. It's going to be a close race this weekend for sure.

Kidnap is selling well. The two showings today sold 24-28 seats each, and tonight's show is already at that level.

Detroit is obviously selling like shit. My showing only had 4 seats sold, and the 1:00 show didn't fare much better at 10 seats. The rest of the day has only sold a few seats.

The Lion King is selling eh. I don't think any showing has sold more than 10 seats. Rereleasing Disney movies is a decent experiment by AMC, but I imagine theaters will be pissed when they have to allocate at least half a screen to a princess film for 5 weeks in September and October. Those aren't dead periods for films, and most kids will not see them during the week.

Atomic Blonde collapsed hard from last week. The first showing only sold 16 seats, and the show in 5 minutes has only sold 14 seats.

Emoji fell pretty hard too, but most of that can be attributed to the reduction of showtimes. It's flipping screens often with Valerian because the one showing of WW needs to be fit in somewhere, and as a result, 3D is the only option this afternoon.

Speaking of which, Valerian is still selling ok with tickets in the mid-teens at each showing. It's definitely above Apes today, which has only been around 10 tickets per show.

DM3 is still performing well.

Girls Trip is performing close to last week, aka not much during the day.

SMH's 3D shows are at the end of the line. The 1:05 3D sold no seats, and the rest of the day looks pretty quiet. The morning show sold about 20 tickets though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

20, 50... it was a number in the over 19's, and that is always a sucky strategy for a limited release.

Could you explain why ? Who would be affected by the fact if it open in 25 vs 18 vs 4 theater ? Very few people would have a conscious difference between those scenario.

There is some success story of limited release over 20 theater:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=lostintranslation.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=blairwitchproject.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=nocountryforoldmen.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=descendents.htm

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Hidden Figures had a lot more going for it than Detroit does (a much bigger cast of famous names compared to the mostly unknowns of the latter and a strong appeal for an underserved older demographic) even beyond having a more awards-friendly release. Pretty obvious which movie has the stronger box office potential there.

Huh, completely disagree about the mostly unknown cast of Detroit - I'll give you Will Poulter, but Boyega, Anthony Mackie, John Krasinski and Jason Mitchell are not exactly unknowns, mate. HF had a more well known cast, but it's not like Detroit is almost a collection of no-names. Also, why wouldn't Detroit have strong appeal for that older demographic too? On paper, it appeals to the same demographic as HF - older, awards demographics - which I will also give you are being served by Dunkirk just fine, but could always use something different since Dunkirk has been out for 3 weeks now - and both the white and black communities. If there's any real difference maker, I would say it was the family audience that HF was strongly supported by.

Sure, HF always had bigger box office potential, but Detroit could've come significantly closer than it will. It COULD have, that's what I'm saying. Especially w/the barren-ass August where it would experience zero competition.

Just now, That Floating Guy said:

No one at Dark Tower is going with a group either.  Everyone is alone.  Coincidence?  🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

(including me)

That happened to me at Detroit :lol: 

Oh shit, you had the same number of people too 

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

You seeing it in a large format?

Nah.  Seeing it at our shitty Regal because of the Sony movie promo.  I'll get digital copies of Rough Night, Baby Driver, Spider-Man, and this, free popcorn, and 4000 credits with RCC.  nice deal

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

Lmao my mom gave me $19 to spend at the theater and my change after buying the ticket was 19 cents.  Amazing.

Was the showtime at 7:19?

• Like 1

Just now, That Floating Guy said:

No???

It's a reference to the books. 19 is an important number in the series, that's why Previews yesterday where at 19:19 or (7:19) and you said you got $19 to spend and 19 cents in change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

It's a reference to the books. 19 is an important number in the series, that's why Previews yesterday where at 19:19 or (7:19) and you said you got $19 to spend and 19 cents in change.

dude I'm aware, but it doesn't make sense because it's obviously not preview night

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm surprised Paramount dropped out, you'd think after the success of The Big Short, they'd be keen on Adam McKay's next project. 

Halle did two series of Extant for CBS which she was also a producer so I imagine she'll be sought after for TV projects much like Viola Davis was. 

Paramount has been making some bone-headed decisions lately, so I wish I was surprise.

I'm can imagine Berry doing a HBO or Netflix show sometime in the future. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Huh, completely disagree about the mostly unknown cast of Detroit - I'll give you Will Poulter, but Boyega, Anthony Mackie, John Krasinski and Jason Mitchell are not exactly unknowns, mate. HF had a more well known cast, but it's not like Detroit is almost a collection of no-names. Also, why wouldn't Detroit have strong appeal for that older demographic too? On paper, it appeals to the same demographic as HF - older, awards demographics - which I will also give you are being served by Dunkirk just fine, but could always use something different since Dunkirk has been out for 3 weeks now - and both the white and black communities. If there's any real difference maker, I would say it was the family audience that HF was strongly supported by.

Sure, HF always had bigger box office potential, but Detroit could've come significantly closer than it will. It COULD have, that's what I'm saying. Especially w/the barren-ass August where it would experience zero competition.

Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, Kevin Costner, Kirsten Dunst, and even Jim Parsons are far more established names than anybody in Detroit, whose only real household names are John Krasinski and Anthony Mackie (John Boyega is still completely unestablished other than being known as "that Star Wars guy"). As for why Hidden Figures has more appeal, it has more uplifting qualities that people go to the movies for compared to the nearly 2.5 hours of misery that apparently permeates Detroit.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

New CEO making some change in the slate, apparently it was the around 50m cost of the project he didn't like (but that is something McKay will achieve to get somewhere and 10 year,s ago it would have been much more than that).

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Could you explain why ? Who would be affected by the fact if it open in 25 vs 18 vs 4 theater ? Very few people would have a conscious difference between those scenario.

There is some success story of limited release over 20 theater:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=lostintranslation.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=blairwitchproject.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=nocountryforoldmen.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=descendents.htm

...okay, not ALWAYS, but the point is that there are many releases that try that strategy, and instead of eye-popping PTA's, they get good numbers in correlation to the amount of theaters they've got... which usually amounts to somewhere in the 20/30K PTA. Why not go for 4/5 theater OW's where there's chances of them getting a much bigger number PTA-wise, which is what matters most when it comes to a limited release's OW (or correct me if I'm wrong there, but in my experience of following box office, that's what I have learned over the years - PTA over actual regarding limited openings)?

Lost In Translation i.e. pulled a mighty 40K in 15 theaters. Alright. Put it in 5 theaters, and it smashes 100K like a knife through butter. From that point on, start a small but steady expansion and become a hit. And while that doesn't always equate successful wide expansions - Steve Jobs - it will always be a bigger headline than a 30/40 PTA despite a higher theater count. Moonlight was far from a smash - it only did 25M DOM iirc. But off of its 100K PTA opening, it was on the eyes of every box office fan out there, as well as exhibitors and awards circuits. But what do I know, this is all just my opinion, really.