Alli

Weekend Thread. Dark Tower 19.5...Dunkirk 17.6....Emoji 12.3...Girls Trip 11.4 not sure what page| Not the sex thread

Most people were always leery of this Summer slate. I thought it would do better but it didn't. It sucked box office wise like most predicted. The Dark Tower looked like cheap trash from the beginning, it was never going to save August.

As for the Detroit. Always felt like a long shot to be in the Oscar and box office race. I think if they want to nominate a female director it will be Patty Jenkins. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

In other news, theater chains sure are happy to see this summer end after the flops and disappointments it produced (it felt like there were more of those this summer than previous years). Earnings for AMC are also down: http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/amc-box-office-1202515742/

May and June were both anchored by literally one movie each. July was better but ended after just 3 weeks. It was a very short summer for sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

My audience at Detroit consists of 2 single old guys sitting far away from me.

FEELS GOOD BUT ALSO BAD BECAUSE THIS IS BOMBING

If people want to see a depressing ass story they'll just watch political news. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

May and June were both anchored by literally one movie each. July was better but ended after just 3 weeks. It was a very short summer for sure.

I'd say it was a pretty good 4 week run - Baby Driver (June 28), Spidey (July 7), Apes (July 14), and Dunkirk/Girls Trip (July 21), plus the 2 other supers...that's a pretty awesome slate - it would have been better if they started Father's Day and ended July 28, but as we've seen, studios like to pack movies...if they gave them more room to breathe, I think all 5 movies would have started a little higher and gotten better runs (especially Apes, the "loser" in the sweeps of packed good movies)...

EDIT: One thing that was missing this summer was the great animated original...Emoji just flubbed that role and Captain Undies was too narrow a market (targeting the male book readers)...heck, we didn't even get the great animated sequel...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I'd like to think that this will teach Hollywood "make better movies" but it'll probably just make the divide between the heavy hitters and the more midrange titles even bigger.

3 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

let me fucking tell yyou kid valerian aint no joke it'a a fujcking masterpiece that will be APREVIatcated on home video so shut your bitch ass 7uup

Great Snyder fan impression, bro.  :)

Edited by MrGamer2558
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think September is going to the strongest it has been in a long time, It has the potential to smash the September record as does Kingsman and I expect Ninjago will do solid business as well. 

• Like 1