Alli

Weekend Thread. Dark Tower 19.5...Dunkirk 17.6....Emoji 12.3...Girls Trip 11.4 not sure what page| Not the sex thread

4 minutes ago, babz06 said:

It should not have caused that much damage. Every actor has a flop

or too. That's just an excuse people use to justify why Halle didn't have a bigger career. She's attractive and a good actress and should of have gotten more and better roles.

At least she still gets lead roles at almost 51, which is more than can be said for most actresses (especially black ones) at her age. I do think she's a draw in certain types of movies between The Call and now Kidnap appearing to do better than expected despite languishing on the shelf for years.

Edited by filmlover

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

At least she still gets lead roles at almost 51, which is more than can be said for most actresses (especially black ones) at her age. I do think she's a draw in certain types of movies between The Call and now Kidnap appearing to do better than expected despite languishing on the shelf for years.

HALLE BERRY CANNOT BE 50 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!! I DONT BELIEVE YOU

• Like 3

IMDb just did a "Top-Rated Books-to-Big-Screen movies" list, as ranked by IMDb users, which is ranked fine for 53/54 titles...

Until of course they put The Dark Tower at #1, for literally no valid reason except the Sony Check which probably passed yesterday :qotd:

Top-Rated my ass. The Dark Tower is 6/10 already on IDMb, which is horrendous for a new movie.

Edit: Apparently The Dark Tower is higher rated than Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather, and LOTR. Good to know IMDb! :ph34r:

Edited by Daxtreme

3 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

IMDb just did a "Top-Rated Books-to-Big-Screen movies" list, as ranked by IMDb users, which is ranked fine for 53/54 titles...

Until of course they put The Dark Tower at #1, for literally no valid reason except the Sony Check which probably passed yesterday :qotd:

Top-Rated my ass. The Dark Tower is 6/10 already on IDMb, which is horrendous for a new movie.

Edit: Apparently The Dark Tower is higher rated than Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather, and LOTR. Good to know IMDb! :ph34r:

That's obviously not what they're implying at all.  They're just showing that they're doing this list to promote Dark Tower

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I guess last week's not overly impressive 50-theater PTA for Detroit was a sign of things to come. Sad, but oh well.

It opened in 20 theaters last weekend, not 50.

It actually did fine last weekend given how many theaters they put it in along with the platform release being added at the 11th hour. But putting it in 3,000+ theaters this weekend was a terrible choice. The theater drop in two weeks will be ugly.

• Like 1

Just now, Daxtreme said:

:bash::wtf::winomg::WHATanabe::bourne::jeb!::ohmyzod:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, babz06 said:

It should not have caused that much damage. Every actor has a flop

or too. That's just an excuse people use to justify why Halle didn't have a bigger career. She's attractive and a good actress and should of have gotten more and better roles.

I do not know how much damage it did, but I think it is more a long series of uninteresting movies in general.

Between 2000 and Cloud Atlas(2012)

The only director I did recognize (not that I am a perfect metric I could easily miss great name) are:

-Singer (in her from what I remember terrible role with a terrible wig/accent X-mens movies)

-Marc Foster

-Susanne Bier

That is it, in a very important 12 year's window.

It is one thing to have all those great opportunity like James Bond, X-men franchise, giant blockbuster Gothika, but if they all are between bad and mediocre it will not necessarily translate into drawing power, cultivating great working relationship with good director is a big part of it (except if you get big roles in many franchises).

It actually did fine last weekend given how many theaters they put it in along with the platform release being added at the 11th hour. But putting it in 3,000+ theaters this weekend was a terrible choice. The theater drop in two weeks will be ugly.

The Dark Tower is going to theater drop harder in two weeks, bro.

9 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

That's obviously not what they're implying at all.  They're just showing that they're doing this list to promote Dark Tower

Of course they're doing this list to promote The Dark Tower. 

But they didn't have to do it this way, it's just a joke at this point. The name of the list is literally "Top-Rated", I'd say that's exactly what they're implying -- that The Dark Tower is Top-Rated... The Dark Tower isn't top-rated, it ain't even in the same ballpark as those other movies on the list.

Name it anything else and it's fine. But "Top-Rated" is something that's objectively calculable, it's a number, and The Dark Tower shouldn't be on this list, especially when all those other movies have an 8+ rating on IDMb.

Edited by Daxtreme
typo
  • Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

It opened in 20 theaters last weekend, not 50.

20, 50... it was a number in the over 19's, and that is always a sucky strategy for a limited release.

Now I won't disagree that it wasn't shabby given the high theater count, but it still was far from mindblowing. Hidden Figures did 20K PTA in 25 theaters, for comparision (and yes, HF was an Oscar season-release, but still, doesn't change that it had a noticeably better PTA w/more theaters than Detroit, which is harder to accomplish than w/less theaters).

Absolutely, though, going from 20 to 3000+ in one weekend wasn't a wise choice.

48 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think the Cheney film could do quite well, The Big Short was a great film and I hope this will be of similar quality.

I'm sure it'll be good at least. The casting is interesting and varied.

38 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I think so. Halle needed a win, in always surprised why she never had a bigger career. It seems like hollywood never knew what to do with her after the Oscar win.

Poor career choices (she was big for a few years), and she's not exactly great when it comes to picking scripts either.

Edited by Fancyarcher

1 hour ago, AJG said:

My brother summed up Detroit perfectly on twitter: “if I want to watch black people get unfairly murdered by police I’ll turn on the news”.

this I honestly think this is  part of what is turning ppl away 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

20, 50... it was a number in the over 19's, and that is always a sucky strategy for a limited release.

Now I won't disagree that it wasn't shabby given the high theater count, but it still was far from mindblowing. Hidden Figures did 20K PTA in 25 theaters, for comparision (and yes, HF was an Oscar season-release, but still, doesn't change that it had a noticeably better PTA w/more theaters than Detroit, which is harder to accomplish than w/less theaters).

Absolutely, though, going from 20 to 3000+ in one weekend wasn't a wise choice.

Hidden Figures had a lot more going for it than Detroit does (a much bigger cast of famous names compared to the mostly unknowns of the latter and a strong appeal for an underserved older demographic) even beyond having a more awards-friendly release. Pretty obvious which movie has the stronger box office potential there.