grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread: The Death of Box Office | Posting or Discussing Any Weekend Numbers = Banned | Pokémon or True Detective gifs Are Allowed

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah, but...this could be an Apes situation...no matter how good the movie, the timing after IT, with American Assassin, and before Kingsman means a lot of movies all going for the same R-rated audience at the same time...in a month where the audience is more limited to start with...

It should have released last weekend and gotten 2 weeks free of IT like Don't Breathe released last year...now it might go down in the wave of both premier and sequel and spinoff properties, which if they are all good, could keep this movie in an "Apes-like" situation with nowhere to go...

The movie's final cut was only completed within the past week; it still hasn't been rated by the MPAA because some technical aspects needed to be finalized. 

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

mother! and Passion have as much in common as Saw and Toy Story:)...

Both are hard-R movies that have controversial subject matter.  They have quite a bit in common just from that alone, actually.  Passion shows that audiences are willing to handle tougher subject matter if the film itself looks appealing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

But that would actually be pretty good don't you think?

I don't think it is bad, but it had a solid push so I was expecting closer to 3M.

4 minutes ago, That Tulip Guy said:

Both are hard-R movies that have controversial subject matter.  They have quite a bit in common just from that alone, actually.  Passion shows that audiences are willing to handle tougher subject matter if the film itself looks appealing.

No offense, but you were barely alive when The Passion came out. You had to be there to witness just how much hysteria that movie caused at the time.

mother! could do well but using The Passion as a reason as to why is...foolish, to say the least.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lionsgate’s action comedy The Hitman’s Bodyguard will earn the No. 1 slot easily with $10.1M over four-days this weekend, the only summer pic to hold the top spot for three weekends in a row this season. An easy feat, because there’s zero competition Last night, the Ryan Reynolds-Samuel L. Jackson pic drew $1M at 3,377 locations for a two-week running cume of $44.7M. Today is expected to bring in $2.2M. Cume by EOD Monday will be $54.8M.

Out of the fresh limited crop, Imax’s presentation of the Marvel TV pilot Inhumans looks to be the best as of this minute with an estimated $2.3Mat 393 sites over FSSM. They held previews last night in some locations. 

The only title to preview last night was Sony’s 4K re-release of Steven Spielberg’s Oscar-winning 1977 sci-fi epic Close Encounters of the Third Kind which drew $95K at 809 locations that started at 7PM.  Close Encounters is playing at 901 locations, which includes 444 premium large format screens, and industry estimates currently figure that the Spielberg classic will make $2.1M in four days after a $585K start today.

Weinstein Co. also has its period film Tulip Fever at 765 sites, however, the film was not widely screened for the press. Harvey Weinstein detailed the film’s path to the big screen in a Deadline column, a journey that began during his Miramax days.The film is crashing with a 6% Rotten Tomatoes score and a projected $1.4M four-day start. TWC’s Wind River and Leap! are faring much better with an estimated $4.2M a piece over the holiday. By Monday, Wind River in its fifth weekend should count a running total of $16.6M, which is behind 16% the running total of Taylor Sheridan’s scripted western Hell or High Water (final domestic $27M) from last summer.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/labor-day-weekend-box-office-hitmans-bodyguard-close-encounters-of-third-kind-tulip-fever-marvel-inhumans-1202159557/

Also, Deadline tracks It at $60-66M

Edited by CoolEric258

1 minute ago, That Tulip Guy said:

A movie to watch to literally deepen and understand one's faith in full vs one to get entertained by aren't in the same league...

Passion became THE movie for many Christians to relive the central component of their faith...the R rating was irrelevant to so many, who looked to literally experience the moments they had read about and believed for years...it was quite literally a "religious experience" and its viewing a "pilgrimage" to so many...

It's a movie that really can't be compared to any other b/c it was and is so unlike any other...

Now that being said - did I see it in theaters?  Nope.  But I knew so many families who took all their members (kids included) to see this movie b/c they needed to see this movie, so I get the "passion" it inspired...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It should have released last weekend and gotten 2 weeks free of IT like Don't Breathe released last year...now it might go down in the wave of both premier and sequel and spinoff properties, which if they are all good, could keep this movie in an "Apes-like" situation with nowhere to go...

Considering that the last 2 Darren Aronofsky played around 30% dbo / 70% intl and that IT will be an USA/UK/Australia alone type of really big phenomenon, not really sure it would have been worth it to loose Venice festival (and others like Toronto) buzz just to not be in IT second weekends legs. A large portion of the audience will be different, hard to imagine someone hesitating between American Assassin and Aronofsky latest passion project.

Chance are that foreign will be the big market for this, Black Swan was a 222m foreign total monster after all.

Last September 3 R-rated for adult movie Sully (35)/Mag 7 (34)/Deepwater Horizon (20m) opened 20m or more with all ok legs (3.57, 2.7, 3.03 relative to their audience reaction and Mag7 being a remake of a popular property), mother! is probably more targeting a 10-14m type of OW, it does not need that much space domestic wise.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I'm not totally against rereleases in general, saw the Lion King rerelease years ago and Jurassic Park reelease.

However, you rerelease pop culture phenomenons.

Close Encounters seems very low on the list of popular movies and of public awareness.

I understand what you're saying but CE *was* a pop culture phenomenon. The problem with having such a narrow focus is a few years from now your favorites will be "forgotten" too. :P 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I could buy the arguments of "people don't want to see a dark movie like mother!" more if there wasn't a movie about goddamn kids being terrorized by a fucking clown opening to 70M+ next weekend.

That was said to be filled of humor and fun, no ?....

13 minutes ago, That Tulip Guy said:

It take much more than a controversial subject matter for a movie to be controversial.  Nothing can came close to something like Jesus in term of controversy in a original movie I would imagine, but the movie need to be talked about and seen to create some controversy, because nothing controversial is in the marketing material that would come after the OD and can just effect the OW by some multiplier effect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, That Tulip Guy said:

Pretty sure none of those movies are Rated R.

You are right (not sure why I thought), but very small percentage of the audience were 16 or below, at least first weekend those were 90%+ 17 and up people in the audience.

Posting this here because this thread has the most traffic at the moment: My mom and I were just debating whether daytime audiences or nighttime audiences are worse at movies because of my experience today with annoying ass seniors. In your experiences, what time of the day has worse audience members?

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Posting this here because this thread has the most traffic at the moment: My mom and I were just debating whether daytime audiences or nighttime audiences are worse at movies because of my experience today with annoying ass seniors. In your experiences, what time of the day has worse audience members?

The ~3:30 PM show is death here because it usually has a lot of annoying teens. The ~9PM and midnight show are usually also potentially problematic.

Here, the best times are the ~1 PM show and the ~6 PM show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Runtimes without credits and attachments for next weekend:

IT: 2:09. Attachments include at least The Nun.

Home Again: 1:32. Attachments are Marshall and Duck Duck Goose.

WOAH WOAH WOAH