grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread: The Death of Box Office | Posting or Discussing Any Weekend Numbers = Banned | Pokémon or True Detective gifs Are Allowed

54 minutes ago, That Tulip Guy said:

After reading the third act spoilers, mother! will have a $10M Friday, a $20M weekend, and a $35M finish.

which would be more than 2.5 times its budget, domestic alone, and fantastic! (PS, personally, I think people on AW are trolling eachother.)

This is a risky movie.  It may do fantastically, or it may 'merely' make money.  I don't have enough information to guess which, but as a Jennifer Lawrence fan, I'm here for her risky, possibly too-intense-for-general-audiences, movie.

And clearly, it is a risk Bardem, Pfeiffer, Harris etc were also willing to take.

53 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That bad, huh?

I'm going down with this ship :) 

I'm pretty sure I will be damned proud of 'this ship' regardless of the box office.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Seriously, why is it that American films with predominantly black casts either don't sell overseas or are not pushed hard enough? I am truly hoping that Black Panther creates a seismic change as far as worldwide audiences embracing black casts. It's just ridiculous.

Nah, black actors has nothing to do with it.

Comedies always have a hard time overseas because it s difficult to translate humor, wether it s subtitles or dubbing, you always loose a big part of what the joke is about.

So unless you have a super high concept like Hangover or Ted or Jim Carey in his prime, most comedies always struggle overseas.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Seriously, why is it that American films with predominantly black casts either don't sell overseas or are not pushed hard enough? I am truly hoping that Black Panther creates a seismic change as far as worldwide audiences embracing black casts. It's just ridiculous.

The movies tend to be comedies, which are hard enough sells as it is, and they hardly ever star actors who mean anything to anyone outside of the US. And correct me if I'm wrong but a good chunk of them probably get specific enough about the black experience in America that they wouldn't resonate nearly as much in countries with little to no black population. I suppose you could call it a vicious circle - they aren't pushed hard enough because they don't sell, and they don't sell because they aren't pushed, though there are other reasons as well. Black Panther will be successful because it's an MCU movie, but why would it change anything for comedies and dramas?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Late to all of this, but @WrathOfHan, I rarely have issues with audiences. (Then again, I go to fewer movies than you.) 9am shows rarely have any sort of issues, though. 

I honestly think a lot of it just has to do with my area's demographics. Even though my county isn't the most populated in Central Florida, there are WAY more people over 65 here than other cities. IE Altamonte Springs has basically double the residents yet my city (Leesburg; don't come here btw) has over 1,000 more people over 65 than Altamonte. This place is basically where old people die :lol: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Late to all of this, but @WrathOfHan, I rarely have issues with audiences. (Then again, I go to fewer movies than you.) 9am shows rarely have any sort of issues, though. 

You go to Arclight though, no?  I'm pretty sure the tickets there are more expensive, so I imagine if someone buys a ticket for something as pricey as that then they'll want to get their money's worth.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

t of the Academy judges.

Also, continuing the conversation: "You don't wanna see Tulip Fever, mommy? Well, we've also got.... huh, Hitman's Bodyguard again? Annabelle: Creation agai-oh sorry, I can't watch scary stuff cause I'll poopoo in my pants. Wait, you wanna see Inhumans? HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA"

In another words, there's NOTHING out there. N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Mayweat

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Annabelle was sort of ruined at my 7pm preview showing because of the teenage girls.  Ouija 2 was ruined opening night because some female kept guessing outloud what was going to  happen next and somehow thought everyone was enjoying hearing her talk as much as she was.  It was like she was making everything more fun.....  I am glad I remembered the Annabelle incident because I was planning on seeing It Thursday night at 7 same place.  I think I will just do the Friday early bird instead.

39 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

It is in part a self-fulling prophecy, in the leaked sony e-mail you can read foreign distributor when talking about a movie prospect/marketing strategy and budget that sadly black cast do not play well in their market if it is not Will Smith. I don't think that they tend to push them as much in some market.

32 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Nah, black actors has nothing to do with it.

Comedies always have a hard time overseas because it s difficult to translate humor, wether it s subtitles or dubbing, you always loose a big part of what the joke is about.

So unless you have a super high concept like Hangover or Ted or Jim Carey in his prime, most comedies always struggle overseas.

In many case that can be true, very american centrist theme in general will also play a factor over the humor that need to travel factor, a movie like Brad Pitt Moneyball played 70/30 dbo/foreign, because it is a baseball movie that will not make sense elsewhere even if Pitt is one of the biggest star of all time oversea.

Not too far from Straight Outta Compton 80/20 and other movie that will make little sense to people outside the US, I misunderstood a lot of it, when they were saying east/west I thought they were talking about pacific ocean coast and Atlantic ocean coast, not different part of the same city separated by an highway.

And movies with a lot of black actor often have a very american centrist theme to them (Detroit, The Help, Hidden Figures being a good example of that) being an other factor, than comedy or not.

Example of comedy (they tend to be domestic heavy even with a white cast like Futurist said)

Anchorman 94/6

Step Brother 78/22

Trainwreck 78/22

Anchorman 2 73/27

The other guy 70/30

Jump Street 68/32

Daddy Home 62/38

The hangover 60/40

Bridemaids 58/41

Neighbors 55/45

Rought Night did a 50/50 split, (mostly because it flopped, normally would have been more domestic heavy)

Some example of movie with a cast with many black actor

No Good deed 96/4

Think like a man 95/5

Help 78/22

Hidden Figures was 73/26

But the very international Rocky franchise had a drastic domestic shift with Creed, so maybe there is something to it or it could simply be that star power is more important oversea for US movies and not having a star in the lead role was the change, not the skin color.

Rocky 4: 43/57

Rocky 5: 34/66

Rocky 6: 45/55

Rocky 7: 63/36 (Creed)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 5

In France movies about Baseball and American Football are considered metastized cancer to audiences by distributors.

Moneyball got released because Brad Pitt but most of the time, local distributors don't even bother or it s a very small amount of screens.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I tend to go around 5pm ish, any later and you're with the sort of people you'd actively avoid in elsewhere but TBH when I go to the theatre, audiences are usually well behaved but I have been to musicals where the audiences are just as bad if not worse as cinema audiences.

21 minutes ago, That Tulip Guy said:

You go to Arclight though, no?  I'm pretty sure the tickets there are more expensive, so I imagine if someone buys a ticket for something as pricey as that then they'll want to get their money's worth.

There is a market for cinemas that are aimed at a more upscale audience, it's been done well in the UK for years but unlike Arclight and the Alamo, they're 4-7 screens with the emphasis on the night out so you get nicer concessions and at times actual food.

41 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

They simply don't sell well in many countries, it does depend on the market though. Girls Trip did decently in the UK as did Hidden Figures. Black Panther will be a hit because it's a superhero film. 

16 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It is in part a self-fulling prophecy, in the leaked sony e-mail you can read foreign distributor when talking about a movie prospect/marketing strategy and budget that sadly black cast do not play well in their market if it is not Will Smith. I don't think that they tend to push them as much in some market.

In many case that can be true, very american centrist theme in general will also play a factor over the humor that need to travel factor, a movie like Brad Pitt Moneyball played 70/30 dbo/foreign, because it is a baseball movie that will not make sense elsewhere even if Pitt is one of the biggest star of all time oversea.

Not too far from Straight Outta Compton 80/20 and other movie that will make little sense to people outside the US, I misunderstood a lot of it, when they were saying east/west I thought they were talking about pacific ocean coast and Atlantic ocean coast, not different part of the same city separated by an highway.

And movies with a lot of black actor often have a very american centrist theme to them (Detroit, The Help, Hidden Figures being a good example of that) being an other factor, than comedy or not.

Example of comedy (they tend to be domestic heavy even with a white cast like Futurist said)

Anchorman 94/6

Step Brother 78/22

Trainwreck 78/22

Anchorman 2 73/27

The other guy 70/30

Jump Street 68/32

Daddy Home 62/38

The hangover 60/40

Bridemaids 58/41

Neighbors 55/45

Rought Night did a 50/50 split, (mostly because it flopped, normally would have been more domestic heavy)

Some example of movie with a cast with many black actor

No Good deed 96/4

Think like a man 95/5

Help 78/22

Hidden Figures was 73/26

But the very international Rocky franchise had a drastic domestic shift with Creed, so maybe there is something to it or it could simply be that star power is more important oversea for US movies and not having a star in the lead role was the change, not the skin color.

Rocky 4: 43/57

Rocky 5: 34/66

Rocky 6: 45/55

Rocky 7: 63/36 (Creed)

It does depend on the market, the UK does better with films like Detroit, Hidden Figures as does Australia but in many places, unless it stars Will Smith or Denzel, they're not going to be that successful.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It does depend on the market, the UK does better with films like Detroit, Hidden Figures as does Australia but in many places, unless it stars Will Smith or Denzel, they're not going to be that successful.

The fact that even Denzel play very domestic heavy versus every other non comedic a-lister could be seen has a sign thought. He never won any Bafta either.

Denzel in is career has a 55/45 dbo/foreign ratio.

Other A-lister not to far from is age group:

Pitt:     26/74 (Pitt was crazy big foreign market wise)

Depp:  37/63

Damon: 45/55

Hanks: 46/54

Denzel: 55/45

That why you can read an e-mail like this:

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/40707

No, I am not saying the Equalizer should not have been made or that African American actors should not have been used......I am also saying that since 2010 all of Denzel's pictures have grossed approximately 40% from international (2 Guns, Flight, Safe House, and The Book of Eli), expect Unstoppable which was ~51%.  In a marketplace in which international is ~65% of theatrical gross (70% according to the MPAA), the decisions on this project were not great.  I think they should have either made it for less, or not cast Denzel.  

But I also did read in the past that Denzel rarely accept to travel for promotions, so that could just because of that and people over analyzing is lack of foreign appeal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

What do you mean only? That's a pretty damn good result for Dunkirk compared to a very well-known franchise movie.

Yeah, it's not like it was gonna gross Dark Knight numbers or something. Dunkirk's done great business.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cochofles said:

As literally everyone already said, it is because they are mostly comedies, which is a genre that on itself usually performs like shit OS unless they have big names attached (Baywatch), have action elements (Central Intelligence) or are named The Hangover. Girls Trip wasn't even released here at all, which makes sense after Bad Moms absolutely imploded here last Summer :lol: The House wasn't release here either.

Black Panther is gonna do like 500M OS because it is a MCU movie.