grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread: The Death of Box Office | Posting or Discussing Any Weekend Numbers = Banned | Pokémon or True Detective gifs Are Allowed

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

As expected. You were delusional if you thought it was gonna be a super bomb. Next it will do solid ratings and get renewed and everyone will act surprised.

tumblr_nrp30cgNQ91rerzc4o1_400.gif

• Haha 2

The Hitman's Bodyguard is going to end up being a moderate hit for Lionsgate and more successful than most other comedies this summer apart from Girls Trip. Speaking of Girls Trip, the OS is poor although it's triple what both Think Like a Man and its sequel OS and will probably end up doing $20m OS but I guess these films make the bulk of their money domestic

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I think we've moved past this but seeing old movies on the big screen is super cool. I've seen Raiders (with live orchestra!), Alien and Stalker this year and it was great. I'm all for some re-releases.

I saw Beauty and the Beast on the big screen this year, it was pretty cool

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, That Tulip Guy said:

@trifle thoughts on this?

I kinda needed your part, too, to have any idea what you were talking about.  So I went back.

I can't predict at all what the box office will be here.  I will only be disappointed if it doesn't make money and at a $13M budget, it would be hard for it not to make money.  There is too much rumor and no concrete fact about the film, no reviews, no unguarded audience reactions.  I get that it may be more intense and controversial than other films Jen has been in, and possibly even more so than other films Aronofsky has directed. What that says about the size of the audience, I don't know. I don't think controversial necessarily means bad box office, and could mean people go specifically to see what the movie is about.

I'm going, of course.  I'm going with someone I don't usually go to movies as much with, who likes horror.  I don't know if that says anything about the general public.

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

You are both being a bit too bullish imo, no way an small original movie without a giant marketing has a 20m OW minimum floor, (well many giant movie with giant year's long marketing do not even achieve that), we live in a world that a giant $200M Disney movie like Tomorrowland with 2 year's of massive marketing including Superbowls ads, starring Clooney, made by Brad Bird, 10 minute previews playing before Age of Ultron and so on did $33m and that GITS/Valerian/Baywatch/Atomic Blonde didn't do 20m.

Let alone a very small scale original movie that look artsy, when was the last one to open at $20m ? what comparable do you have in mind ? The Witches had a whole year of buzz, some of the best reviews ever for an horror movie, 2000 theater, didn't do $9m. Even Drive made only $11.3m and they did spent a bit like an action blockbuster on is domestic theatrical release on it.

Maybe the hype will grow but right now it is not really that superior to movie that will not open at 20m like American Assasin (AA being a franchise movie need to be corrected down a bit, but still, we would not say that American Made floor is $20m):

Rankings Movie Diff from Yesterday Total Likes
1 Girls Trip +2,837 286,708
2 Maze Runner: The Death Cure +1,729 3,481,856
3 Blade Runner 2049 +1,523 1,417,712
4 It (2017) +1,485 1,150,440
5 American Made +1,239 82,822
6 Dunkirk +1,233 626,140
7 I Can Only Imagine +949 118,366
8 Star Wars: The Last Jedi +878 19,013,104
9 mother! +840 94,050
10 American Assassin +822 126,538

Youtube trailers views August 20 - August 26, 2017:

1 IT (Warner / New Line) 1.070 M 49.048 M Sep. 8, 2017 4  
2 Thor: Ragnarok (Disney) 952 K 85.908 M Nov. 3, 2017 4  
3 Justice League (Warner Bros.) 832 K 73.393 M Nov. 17, 2017 4  
4 Alpha (Sony / Columbia) 680 K 4.750 M Mar. 2, 2018 2  
5 The LEGO Ninjago Movie (Warner Bros.) 625 K 14.006 M Sep. 22, 2017 5  
6 American Assassin (Lionsgate / CBS Films) 552 K 8.085 M Sep. 15, 2017 8  
7 Flatliners (Sony / Screen Gems) 509 K 6.236 M Sep. 29, 2017 2  
8 mother! (Paramount) 351 K 8.405 M Sep. 15, 2017 6  
9 Pitch Perfect 3 (Universal) 341 K 16.016 M Dec. 22, 2017 2  
10 Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Disney) 235 K 46.372 M Dec. 15, 2017 2  

Not surprising for box office pro to stay with it as a bit bigger The Witch, about to double It come at Night, until some hype actually start, if it does.

I respect your well documented and thoughtful opinions on box office, and I will be beyond thrilled if it has a $20M OW.  I'd be happy with the ones projected, and anything else is reason for celebration.  Mind you, I'm open to celebration!

3 hours ago, That Tulip Guy said:

I just want to remind everyone that The Passion of the Christ is a 2 hour movie about Jesus being tortured and that made 370M domestic.

this is the line I had to go back to to make sense of your thread.  I don't think the two situations are comparable.  This movie is a director lashing out in frustration at the turn of political and environmental events.  I agree gore doesn't necessarily kill it's box office, but we can't say gore necessarily bolsters it, either.  We just don't know enough about the film to know what it will make at this point, or I don't, anyhow!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

I saw Beauty and the Beast on the big screen this year, it was pretty cool

The remaster looked a bit weird (the animation became photo-realistic) and there was a noticeable amount of autotune added in, but other than that yeah it was nice to see on the big screen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That Tulip Guy said:

The remaster looked a bit weird (the animation became photo-realistic) and there was a noticeable amount of autotune added in, but other than that yeah it was nice to see on the big screen

FbY8H6P.gif

• Like 2

Just now, That Tulip Guy said:

what joke?  I was just discussing the rerelease of BATB that came out this year.

Actually the joke is that I saw Beauty and the Beast (2017), but the post implied that I saw Beauty and the Beast (1991). This is a clever way of acknowledging that the two motion pictures are quite similar, to the point where some may deem them too similar.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Actually the joke is that I saw Beauty and the Beast (2017), but the post implied that I saw Beauty and the Beast (1991). This is a clever way of acknowledging that the two motion pictures are quite similar, to the point where some may deem them too similar.

i understood your joke regarding Beauty and the Beast (2017) being similar to Beauty and the Beast (1991) and was trying to continue off the joke.  people didn't like it.  please don't hurt me for being unfunny.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The Force Awakens

Beauty & the Beast 2017

It

Hollywood has it critical mass when it comes to creativity.

Just now, That Tulip Guy said:

i understood your joke regarding Beauty and the Beast (2017) being similar to Beauty and the Beast (1991) and was trying to continue off the joke.  people didn't like it.  please don't hurt me for being unfunny.

Thank you for understanding. I'm glad this encounter came to a satisfactory conclusion without leaving anyone confused. Peace be with you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

But the Roadhouse MC has had so many great moments the past few episodes!

No joke he's one of the best characters. 

Spoiler

- Proud to present both The Nine Inch Nails *and* James Hurley

- Has a homemade volume control, 1/3 of which is above ten

- Loves ZZ Top

- Dances like there's no tomorrow

Bless this man.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Hitman's Bodyguard is going to end up being a moderate hit for Lionsgate and more successful than most other comedies this summer apart from Girls Trip. Speaking of Girls Trip, the OS is poor although it's triple what both Think Like a Man and its sequel OS and will probably end up doing $20m OS but I guess these films make the bulk of their money domestic

Seriously, why is it that American films with predominantly black casts either don't sell overseas or are not pushed hard enough? I am truly hoping that Black Panther creates a seismic change as far as worldwide audiences embracing black casts. It's just ridiculous.

• Like 2