baumer

Top 25 films of 1997 (Countdown will begin Sunday Nov. 26th at Noon EST 9AM PST)

Good Will Hunting is nice. Hating it is the same as hating Shawshank Redemption. I understand at some point there comes the need to rail against middlebrow cinema but claiming it's an abomination is even sillier to me than claiming it's some major artistic masterpiece. It's a well-made little movie. Better than most of its kind.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Good Will Hunting is nice. Hating it is the same as hating Shawshank Redemption. I understand at some point there comes the need to rail against middlebrow cinema but claiming it's an abomination is even sillier to me than claiming it's some major artistic masterpiece. It's a well-made little movie. Better than most of its kind.

I do dislike Shawshank as well. I feel like both are endurance tests for my patience.

Edited by Goffe

11 hours ago, Tower said:

Unless Baumer objects, I think we should keep the rule that foreign films should go by original release, meaning that Mononoke counts as a 1997 release. 

P.S if you haven't seen Mononoke, watch it now, I just saw it recently for the first time and it's incredible. It's now my Favourite Animated film of all time and will likely be my number 1 on this list.

Tele proposed 2000 as a cutoff point for this earlier, I think it's as good a one as any. So yeah with years prior to 2000 let's just go by IMDb. 

8 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Clearly it was long and boring.

Precisely. GWH is about this flawless dude with perfect memory and poor me attitude who doesn't want to reach his full potential because :rolleyes: reasons. How interesting can that be? Hint: It can't.

25 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I think it should go by the first non-festival US release date (so as an example, Ridley Scott's Legend would be a 1986 movie instead of 1985).  That's how I do shit at least.

Ain't nobody got time for that. This kinda thing is useful when we rank, say, best movies of 2014 and make sure to include Under the Skin, but when it's been decades it's just added headache. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goffe said:

Tele, how can you be so wrong all the time?

3 hours ago, Goffe said:

Also, let's restrain ourselves from putting the 97's abomination also known as Good Will Hunting on the list.

It WILL be your fault if you do it.

Goffe, how can you be so wrong all the time?

• Like 1