CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

This is going to be the second biggest opening day of a film that is not a sequel or a remake or a prequel.  The Hunger Games is still tops with 67.2 million but this is certainly unprecedented. A horror movie, gory and violent and rated R, hits 51 mill OD!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/?page=open&p=.htm

• Like 6

I'm still being conservative due to the hurricane and NFL Sunday

And that's only a bump of 8% on Saturday from the true friday.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

This is going to be the second biggest opening day of a film that is not a sequel or a remake or a prequel.  

I would call it a remake.

It's certainly a know property thanks to that fairly famous miniseries.

3 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Back in January, WrathofHan made a prediction thread for every release this year. He thought It would only gross $50M...in total. Now, it's being grossed in one day. HOLY FUCK

I think most of us thought it would do less than 100 before the trailer views.  I said I'd be happy with 80.

3 hours ago, kitik said:

I would call it a remake.

It's certainly a know property thanks to that fairly famous miniseries.

It's a known property like Hunger Games is.  But I personally don't count TV as a remake.

Amazing! My original OW thoughts were around 50m and here it is past that in one day. :ohmyzod:

Also for the Record, Paranormal Activity 3 is not the current OW record holder. Not sure why everyone keeps saying that since Hannibal has held that record since 2001 with 58m. 

Remember this excerpt from Deadline when the first tracking numbers came in?

http://deadline.com/2017/08/it-stephen-king-projected-box-office-opening-1202150870/

For It, males overall are 24% unaided, 75 total awareness, 57% definite and 17% first choice. Females are 26% unaided, 76% total, 50% definite and 18% first choice. Teen males are 24% unaided, 75% total, 66% definite, and 24% first choice.

“It’s not competing against anything on tracking,” said one distribution bean-counter. “That’s why those figures are so high.”

Anyone can easily make a mistake and predict a $100M-plus opening, but you have to take into account the softer fall marketplace,” said our source.

:sparta:

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

True but Shay is notorious for supporting films that later flop and opposing films that later do great

I really do get excited when I see Shay hating on something that I'm looking forward to.

• Like 2

Just now, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

It's a known property like Hunger Games is.  But I personally don't count TV as a remake.

IT's a new adaptation of the novel much like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was an adaptation of the book and not Willy Wonka. If it doesn't use elements from the TV series or the previous film, it's not a remake

• Like 1