WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

2 minutes ago, the beast said:

dm3 did over $750m+ overseas

Spidey recovered phenomonally after that 62% 2nd weekend drop

and annabelle 2 is increasing from the first annabelle and hitting 100m despite being a sequel to a not well received spin off

Thanks!

The 4 box office records smashed by DM3 this year are:

1. Highest grossing animated franchise of all time worldwide

2. Highest grossing animated franchise of all time OS *internationally*

3. Only animated franchise to have 2 films crossing 1B worldwide

4. Only animated franchise in history to have 3 films crossing 900m and 950m worldwide

Plus: Illumination is now the only animation studio to have 3 films crossing 900m worldwide in their original runs. Not even Disney or Pixar did this in original runs for anby of their films (Nemo crossed 900m in its 2nd DOM run)

In the words of Chris Meledandri: 

“The shadow of Disney is so large and looms so powerful that it’s shocking when we go head to head with them and we do beat them,” Meledandri said. He credited his films’ consistency and “populist” appeal.

Edited by MinaTakla
added animated in points 3 and 4 for clarity
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Are you kidding? 

It passed 1b two weeks ago and it was barely mentioned. 

If it was a Pixar movie we would have been having an update every half an hour.

I think that Girls Trip and Baby Driver were also box office stories worthy of mentioning in 2017.

The only reason I don't think GOTGV2 is that noteworthy is because it did absolutely what everyone expected a well-reviewed, well-marketed sequel to a beloved MCU film to do.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

It was barely mentioned because it's been nearly 3 months since it was released and not many people here liked the movie nor gave a shit about its run.  That's how things work, bud

You are asking why people care about DM3 when it is talked once a month or may be less and it has had such a monstrous run. Last year we were talking x10 times about Moana for such a mediocre run. I can't imagine what it would have been like with Zootopia or Dory.

I am not telling you to like it nor to care but can't the fans of the franchise have their moment after such an impressive feat? It's not like there has been overtalk about that movie... Actually quite the opposite.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

The 4 box office records smashed by DM3 this year are:

1. Highest grossing animated franchise of all time worldwide

2. Highest grossing animated franchise of all time OS *internationally*

3. Only franchise to have 2 films crossing 1B worldwide

4. Only franchise in history to have 3 films crossing 900m and 950m worldwide

Plus: Illumination is now the only animation studio to have 3 films crossing 900m worldwide in their original runs. Not even Disney or Pixar did this in original runs for anby of their films (Nemo crossed 900m in its 2nd DOM run)

In the words of Chris Meledandri: 

“The shadow of Disney is so large and looms so powerful that it’s shocking when we go head to head with them and we do beat them,” Meledandri said. He credited his films’ consistency and “populist” appeal.

These aren't records lmao

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

I think that Girls Trip and Baby Driver were also box office stories worthy of mentioning in 2017.

The only reason I don't think GOTGV2 is that noteworthy is because it did absolutely what everyone expected a well-reviewed, well-marketed sequel to a beloved MCU film to do.

yeah I think you have to include Baby Driver, as well

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

You are asking why people care about DM3 when it is talked once a month or may be less and it has had such a monstrous run. Last year we were talking x10 times about Moana for such a mediocre run. I can't imagine what it would have been like with Zootopia or Dory.

I am not telling you to like it nor to care but can't the fans of the franchise have their moment after such an impressive feat? It's not like there has been overtalk about that movie... Actually quite the opposite.

I was referring to a few select people who constantly cheer it on and act like it passing $1B is something that everyone MUST talk about.  The reason people were talking so much about Moana is cause many people loved the movie.  Very few people here even liked DM3 (most people gave it C's in the RTM thread).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Oh and Illumination scored big box office records that even Disney or Pixar haven't even reached yet despite being in the business for over 20 years, so yup

Edited by MinaTakla

20 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Teenage date nights with new Moviepasses?  I'm only half-kidding...I mean, you're a 16 year old male looking for a nice Fri/Sat date - what else are you taking her to?  

Also, you've got teens all back to school, so they probably are hanging out with friends again.  Pools are closed, beaches are getting cold...and football games are only Friday nights:)...

I still remember how BOT was freaking out about that 62.2% 2nd weekend drop.....

• Like 1

This is again insane for IT. 

$60m second weekend beats the horror opening weekend again.

Those international holds are jaw dropping. Happy to have contributed again this weekend! 

This is mind blowing!!

Annabelle 2 also almost at $100m domestically and now over $290m worldwide, surpassing Split and Get Out. 

What a time for horror! 

• Like 5

Predictions for next weekend:

Kingsman: 45M

Ninjago: 35M

It: 30M

American Assassin: 6M

Home Again: 3.2M

mother!: 3M

Friend Request: 2.5M

The Hitman's Bodyguard: 1.6M

Wind River: 1.5M

Annabelle Creation: 1.2M

I wouldn't be surprised to see Brad's Status as high as 8th

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

This is again insane for IT. 

$60m second weekend beats the horror opening weekend again.

Those international holds are jaw dropping. Happy to have contributed again this weekend! 

This is mind blowing!!

Annabelle 2 also almost at $100m domestically and now over $290m worldwide, surpassing Split and Get Out. 

What a time for horror! 

It will cross 700m WW or close to it by end of run. Amazing.

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I was referring to a few select people who constantly cheer it on and act like it passing $1B is something that everyone MUST talk about.  The reason people were talking so much about Moana is cause many people loved the movie.  Very few people here even liked DM3 (most people gave it C's in the RTM thread).

this is a BOX OFFICE forum

• Like 2