WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

With all due respect if mother! (or yes Valerian) registered with Joe Sixpack, executives would call it a fluke and not take any of its success to heart. 

Hell in a six-month span, Avatar and Inception were zeitgeist smashes. What did executives say to that? "Eh, fluke!" and kept digging through IPs instead of investing in chancy projects.

• Like 3

• Community Manager
Just now, filmnerdjamie said:

With all due respect if mother! (or yes Valerian) registered with Joe Sixpack, executives would call it a fluke and not take any of its success to heart. 

Hell in a six-month span, Avatar and Inception were zeitgeist smashes. What did executives say to that? "Eh, fluke!" and kept digging through IPs instead of investing in chancy projects.

Huh? After Avatar, 3D releases finally really became a thing. Almost every tentpole for a few years had to be converted to 3D. It was annoying. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, a2knet said:

We had Get Out, Split, Dunkirk and Baby Driver this year. So can't complain that Hollywood is playing it safe and not experimenting and churning out new creative ideas.

(Additionally, even a big studio movie like Logan, on paper a CBM with a major SH who has appeared for the umpteenth time, did something fresh and bold. So artsy films and indie films can't exclusively lay a claim on innovation.)

Of the 21 movies currently at $100M+ DOM, we have 8 as "premier" concepts to screen (not reboots, sequels, or remakes)...WW, Dunkirk, IT, Get Out, The Boss Baby, Split, Girls Trip, and Baby Driver...it's been a good year to show the strength of giving audiences theatrical releases not done before - we don't always need franchises and retreads - new screen material (whether completely original or derived from other media sources) can hit big...maybe mother! didn't hit this weekend, but AA's gonna be at least a modest hit with its $33M Production budget, so even this weekend, we'll have another successful premier project to hit the screen, even while riding the wave of IT...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, Hollywood did take a lesson from Avatar; it was just a lesson about presentation rather than development. I still think 3D would have an audience if the studios hadn't beaten it into the ground by sanctioning poor conversion after poor conversion.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Of the 21 movies currently at $100M+ DOM, we have 8 as "premier" concepts to screen (not reboots, sequels, or remakes)...WW, Dunkirk, IT, Get Out, The Boss Baby, Split, Girls Trip, and Baby Driver...it's been a good year to show the strength of giving audiences theatrical releases not done before - we don't always need franchises and retreads - new screen material (whether completely original or derived from other media sources) can hit big...maybe mother! didn't hit this weekend, but AA's gonna be at least a modest hit with its $33M Production budget, so even this weekend, we'll have another successful premier project to hit the screen, even while riding the wave of IT...

WW is the fourth film in a shared universe and the second appearance of the titular character on screen.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Yes, this is true.

Which is why you should be watching A Cure for Wellness (2017, dir. Gore Verbinski) right now.

That's a really good out of left field bonkers movie.But it would have bombed anyway even if it had huge stars instead of Dane DeHaan. I'm just glad a hollywood suit read this script and said "what the hell let's make this movie". There's still hope.

• Like 1

Why do films like mother! need to be successful? We have original films that do well and we have some that don't. We also have franchise films that do well and others that don't. 

A film like mother! is failing at the box office because audiences are seeing it exactly for what it is and are being extremely turned off by it. And no it has nothing to do with not getting the movie....you can get the movie and still not like it/hate it.  

At the end of the day, a movie like mother! is never going to appeal to the GA. So making more of them isn't going to change anything. They're going to keep flopping at the box office. Maybe and I mean maybe if the marketing wasn't so mis-leading it's WOM wouldn't be so damn toxic but how the hell was Paramount going to market mother! AND have it appeal to the GA? It's not gonna happen. 

I mean this year alone we have had numerous original films do really really well at the BO so clearly it's not all franchise driven. The GA just isn't interested in whatever the hell mother! was trying to do. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

WW is the fourth film in a shared universe and the second appearance of the titular character on screen.

Yes, I figured someone would b&tch about her inclusion...but since her film had pretty much nothing to do with the existing universe, I'm giving her a pass...you can make it 7 if you feel better, WoH...I am sorry mother! didn't hit, but we should be happy about all those who have (and that means we should be happy about AA this weekend, even if it didn't aim as high creatively as mother!:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Why do films like mother! need to be successful? We have original films that do well and we have some that don't. We also have franchise films that do well and others that don't. 

A film like mother! is failing at the box office because audiences are seeing it exactly for what it is and are being extremely turned off by it. And no it has nothing to do with not getting the movie....you can get the movie and still not like it/hate it.  

At the end of the day, a movie like mother! is never going to appeal to the GA. So making more of them isn't going to change anything. They're going to keep flopping at the box office. Maybe and I mean maybe if the marketing wasn't so mis-leading it's WOM wouldn't be so damn toxic but how the hell was Paramount going to market mother! AND have it appeal to the GA? It's not gonna happen. 

I mean this year alone we have had numerous original films do really really well at the BO so clearly it's not all franchise driven. The GA just isn't interested in whatever the hell mother! was trying to do. 

No real plot or character spoilers for mother! I haven't even seen it. But relevant to the BO is it's themes:

70 percent of the country is Christian. A significant portion of this country doesn't believe climate change.

Like mother! Was going to struggle with it's message regardless of how "accesssible" it was.

• Like 2