WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

true. but to be fair both Shutter Island and Wolf of Wall Street did score a lowly C+. Both did very well at the bo even legs wise. Wolf of Wall Street kept on going even after the holidays and Shutter Island did 3.1x.

"F" as in general, I did not see people vehemently hating on either those movies or walking out...

1 minute ago, La Binoche said:

He's too smart and savvy to star in one. 

True. He built over the years the cred "he is never in bad movies", Tom Cruise had that too but I think he lost it. Hanks too

Edited by XO21

I'm still amazed that audiences embraced The Revenant. Oscar nominations aside, we're talking about a grim, graphic 157-minute film with long stretches of minimal dialogue.

DiCaprio takes enough risks that I won't be surprised if he takes on a film that divides audiences to a degree as large as mother! For as much as the internet loves it now, The Wolf of Wall Street got a C from CinemaScore.

• Like 3

Just now, Webslinger said:

I'm still amazed that audiences embraced The Revenant. Oscar nominations aside, we're talking about a grim, graphic 157-minute film with long stretches of minimal dialogue.

DiCaprio takes enough risks that I won't be surprised if he takes on a film that divides audiences to a degree as large as mother! For as much as the internet loves it now, The Wolf of Wall Street got a C from CinemaScore.

The "Dicaprio raped by a bear" headlines are responsible for The Revenant's s box office success.

• Like 1

Revanant is one of the bigger bo surprises in recent years. It gets left out of the 'unexpected bo' talk but it's right up there.

40 ow and 4.55x multiplier (even subtracting the 1.3m it made in limited release before going wide) was insane for a movie like this.

Edited by a2knet

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

People at my school love The Revenant.  It just ended up being one of the rare films that was widely acclaimed amongst both "cinephiles" and the GA.

The general audience are cinephiles. They go to movies because they like them.  

Time to go see It again since I'm a cinephile of horror movies 😉

Edited by Harley

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Well, TWOWS also made well over 100M+ DOM, as did Shutter Island and The Aviator, two movies that I also don't imagine as easy watches for general audiences, yet they made a shit ton of money. Leo can pretty much get away with anything he wants. His last bomb was J Edgar, and in any sane world, a Leo DiCaprio/Clint Eastwood joint would not be a bomb, the movie was just mismanaged to my knowledge (in a lot of ways, including quality).

Though, right now, he doesn't look to be taking a risky way as DiCaprio seems to have his sights on either a Da Vinci or - if rumors are to be true - a Stan Lee biopic, maybe both. Whichever he goes with, a lot of money will be made.

• Like 2