Alli

Weekend thread | IT Floats again in its 4th weekend: 17.3M...Cruise and Kingsman fight it out for 2nd: 17.016 and 17.0

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Tom Cruise and Harrison Ford should get honorary Oscars 

calm down. you're always over reacting. cruise is still young. would you sway the same about depp, pitt? these guys are still making movies for an audience. hell. keaton had a hell of a comeback

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Tom Cruise and Harrison Ford should get honorary Oscars 

Honorary Oscar was created to honor people involved in movie either in role that do not rewarded by competitive Oscar or on movies that are not recognized by the Academy, Jackie Chan getting one being a perfect example of that, Hong Kong Action cinema never win anything at the Oscar, he is one of the biggest, best figure in world cinema history and one of the most successful ever. Or Godard or Spike Lee that was shunned on some movies for possible non-competitive related reason.

Like the Special Achievement Award, the Special Award and Honorary Award have been used to reward significant achievements of the year that did not fit in existing categories, subsequently leading the Academy to establish several new categories, and to honor exceptional career achievements, contributions to the motion picture industry, and service to the Academy.

They still often bent the spirit of it, and give it often to people that just never won and could easily have with the type of work they did like O Toole and a long list.

The Academy could have easily gave Cruise an Oscar, still could have, he really worked a lot in academy compatible project and went for it, and still has a lot of time to do so, seam way too early for this.

Ford was nominated only one time in is career, despite having some of the best opportunity, that said the argument make arguably a bit more sense for is age and because a lot of is career best achievement were not something realistically in contention for a competitive Academy award (you do not win for Solo/Indiana Jones an lead acting Oscar, specially not on sequels)

• Like 1

October looks like Blade Runner and Happy Death Day's month. Other than that modest to flop earners. Suburbicon looks interesting but strange, and The Foreigner looks actually decent but both of this I don't see doing much. Is Thank For Your Service still even coming out? 

• Like 1

1.96 Thu for K2 it seems. (Deadline says 1st week is 49.7 and the cume till Wed was 47.74)

I think it needs a 150% on Friday to do 17-18 over the weekend (would then need 45-50% bump on Sat and around 35% Sun drop). K1 jumped 130% on it's 1st Friday in Feb.

But a 19-20 weekend looks very tough.

1 minute ago, Maxmoser3 said:

October looks like Blade Runner and Happy Death Day's month. Other than that modest to flop earners. Suburbicon looks interesting but strange, and The Foreigner looks actually decent but both of this I don't see doing much. Is Thank For Your Service still even coming out? 

don't forget The Snowman. It can surprise

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

http://deadline.com/2017/09/tom-cruise-emma-stone-american-made-battle-of-the-sexes-flatliners-weekend-box-office-1202179279/

Updated, 12:06PM: Ouch. We knew Tom Cruise’s American Made wasn’t going to file No. 1, but as of right now it looks like not only Kingsman: The Golden Circle will beat the Cross Creek/Universal feature, but the third weekend of New Line/Warner Bros. It as well.

The 20th Century Fox/MARV spy pic is eyeing around $5.5M-$5.6M for a take that’s between $18M-$19M at 4,038, -53% for a 10-day near $68.7M . The first chapter grossed $18.3M in weekend 2 and Golden Circle might file under that. We’ll see.

The all powerful It is currently edging out American Made for second with $4.8M today and $16M for a running cume by Sunday near $290M.

American Made per industry projections is at $5.5M for today, including last night’s $960K, for a three-day at $15M.

Sony/Cross Creek’s Flatliners is going into a deep sleep thanks to injection of 0% Rotten Tomatoes Score with $2.6M today and $6.5M for the weekend.

Fox Searchlight’s expansion to 1,213 theaters of The Battle of the Sexes looks to earn $1.25M-$1.5M today with a three-day around $4M.

As we always footnote on these midday reports — we could be looking at a different ranking by nightfall, but this is what it looks like right now. We’ll have more updates for you later.

• Like 1

That's a MASSIVE Friday jump for Kingsman :ohmygod: 

I don't see how It gets to 16M with 4.8M. 15.5M is a more realistic target.

Meh for AM.

I knew I should have went a little lower for Sexes. 5M should be enough for a good score, though. 

Looking to be bang on with Flatliners.

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That's a MASSIVE Friday jump for Kingsman :ohmygod: 

I don't see how It gets to 16M with 4.8M. 15.5M is a more realistic target.

Meh for AM.

I knew I should have went a little lower for Sexes. 5M should be enough for a good score, though. 

Looking to be bang on with Flatliners.

There's definitely some funky math going on here. These increases look too large. That's a higher 2nd Friday than Kingsman 1 despite starting 300k lower

• Like 2

5.5-5.6m is good for K2.

5.5 + 8 (+45%) + 4.8 (-40%) = 18.3m (-53.1%)

18.3m weekend will give it 68m 10-day cume and that leaves it on track for >105m :

Rest of the weekends combined could bring in 10 + 6 + 3.5 + 2 + 1.2 + 0.7 + 1.1 (rest of the run + dollar bump) = 24.5m

That gives around 14.5m in rest of the weekdays combined (~60% of 24.5m) for a dom total of,

68 + 24.5 + 14.5 = 107m

Edited by a2knet