Alli

Weekend thread | IT Floats again in its 4th weekend: 17.3M...Cruise and Kingsman fight it out for 2nd: 17.016 and 17.0

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=gifted.htm

This year, Gifted did 3.1m on is first wide weekend (1,150 theater) and went to 2000 the week after, maybe Battle of the sexes was much more established before this weekend (TIFF, star power, known story, etc...) and will not expend as well and should have made much more, but could it not have a similar pattern/performance ?

It's definitely not impossible, but Gifted also released in a dead period. I'm not sure how many midsize/smaller theaters that don't already have it will be willing to keep it for two weeks starting next week.

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

So Box Office pro is predicting that Coco will make more in its OW than The Star will make overall! 

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Coco doesn’t seem to have the issues that surrounded the TGD, the reviews will be out in October so we will get an idea how the film will be received. 

The Star being released a week before Coco and against JL is like Smurfs and The Boss Baby all over again! 

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/pZoEV

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's definitely not impossible, but Gifted also released in a dead period. I'm not sure how many midsize/smaller theaters that don't already have it will be willing to keep it for two weeks starting next week.

That is true in a more competitive period, Wild never went over 1,350 theater, with a very similar first weekend:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=wild2014.htm

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That is true in a more competitive period, Wild never went over 1,350 theater, with a very similar first weekend:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=wild2014.htm

If Wild ended up being a bigger Oscar player, that might not have been the case. It already overperformed in nominations with Laura Dern :lol: 

21 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's supposed to be in 750 theaters next weekend, but I won't be surprised if it hits 1k then if the PTA this weekend is really great. Theaters like mine made the mistake of letting holdovers keep too many screens, and they're going to pay next weekend when barely anything will be gone.

I imagine Focus will be happy if Victoria and Abdul can crack $20-30m domestic, it's a decent film and an easier sell compared to say The Danish Girl or Legend.  

3 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

I still think that a movie like American Made would go completely unnoticed without a big star like Tom Cruise. In fact, IMO 15m is decent for the type of film it is. Kingsman 2 could also have a drop right around 50%, which would be really solid.

I don't think so. War dogs, a similar type of story also did 15M.  

15M is a lousy opening for AM

Edited by Alli

28 minutes ago, Alli said:

I don't think so. War dogs, a similar type of story also did 15M.  

15M is a lousy opening for AM

You are comparing to a movie that also had some domestic star power attach to it with Jonah Hill, Bradley Cooper and from the director of Hangovers trilogy, not to something with unknowns, with the great trailers (95% positive sentiment score on ispotTV) and the nice big promo budget of WB (even reached number one spending one week: http://variety.com/2016/more/news/war-dogs-tops-tv-ad-spending-1201827530/).

Not an easy movie to beat (domestic wise), with an interesting high concept.

Look at Triple 9 and an other long list of crime type, crime biography (The gambler, Most violent year, Runner runner), it could have been lost in the shuffle without the big director/lead actor name, hard to say because it would have probably not have been made, at least we do not have much comparable without those 2 element to compare it to.

War Dogs was pretty much what I imagined American Made to do domestic.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

American Made was so mediocre, I'm baffled by its 86% RT score. This is basically of the same quality as War Dogs. Actually, I might honestly prefer War Dogs solely for Jonah Hill's hilarious turn. I honestly think a bunch of critics gave it a pass because Cruise finally did something resembling a character driven film again, which is what they've been clamoring him to do for years.

Edited by Wilfred

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

You are comparing to a movie that also had some domestic star power attach to it with Jonah Hill, Bradley Cooper and from the director of Hangovers trilogy, not to something with unknowns, with the great trailers (95% positive sentiment score on ispotTV) and the nice big promo budget of WB (even reached number one spending one week: http://variety.com/2016/more/news/war-dogs-tops-tv-ad-spending-1201827530/).

Not an easy movie to beat (domestic wise), with an interesting high concept.

Look at Triple 9 and an other long list of crime type, crime biography (The gambler, Most violent year, Runner runner), it could have been lost in the shuffle without the big director/lead actor name, hard to say because it would have probably not have been made, at least we do not have much comparable without those 2 element to compare it to.

Is Jonah Hill that big of a BO draw?  He's had some success and i loved him in TWOWS, but i think he's more of a niche actor

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alli said:

Is Jonah Hill that big of a BO draw?  He's had some success and i loved him in TWOWS, but i think he's more of a niche actor

Domestic in a comedy, not a bad one imo, maybe a bit above Galifiankis below Ferrell. Vulture had it in their top 40 domestic box office draw wise in 2015...

He is certainly above unknown. 22 Jump street 57m OW was really impressive, same for 21 JS 36m OW or this is the end over 20, etc...

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=gifted.htm

This year, Gifted did 3.1m on is first wide weekend (1,150 theater) and went to 2000 the week after, maybe Battle of the sexes was much more established before this weekend (TIFF, star power, known story, etc...) and will not expend as well and should have made much more, but could it not have a similar pattern/performance ?

As said it was a less competitive period and easier to get screens.  Fox also knows the internal numbers and how it played in art houses vs multiplexes and regionally which would figure in to any greater expansion.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/neon-colossal-stx-their-finest-specialty-box-office-1202066229/

Fox Searchlight bowed drama Gifted in 56 theaters over the weekend to a decent start. Starring Chris Evans, McKenna Grace and Octavia Spencer, Gifted grossed $476K, giving it an $8,500 PTA. The company said that it sees its initial run as an initial word of mouth release before it heads wide starting next week. Searchlight said the film played well in its mix of art houses, upscale suburban multiplexes and limited number of mainstream theaters.

“I think we are very OK with the result. Not over the moon, but we didn’t release this to go after per screen average. It’s more of a sneak to get the word out,” said Searchlight’s Frank Rodriguez Sunday. “We’ve only spent 28% of our [advertising] weight so far. In the mainstream multiplexes, we were right in the mix coming in second, third and sometimes fourth. We were actually number one in [one] suburban Chicago multiplex. There were no bad performances in any of the theaters it played. We’ve set out a real solid foundation. I think it’s going to be a very long haul.”

Gifted's RT audience score was also around 88/89 it's first few weeks.  It's PTA only dropped about 14% when it went from 1100 to 2000 theaters.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/the-promise-free-fire-born-in-china-unforgettable-phoenix-forgotten-previews-box-office-1202073216/

One thing that we’re watching build is the little film Gifted from Fox Searchlight, which has quietly and steadily been expanding and has has a decent per screen average even in its No. 8 slot. The film, which garnered an A+ CinemaScore from its under 25 audience, will have grossed about $10.8M in three weekends. Weekend to weekend, its up 46% to 48% but it’s up 10% in the same theaters from last weekend.

• Like 1

Saw Stronger, really good and emotional. Jake G is terrific, but Tatiana Maslany is especially great. Hope her film career goes somewhere.

20 minutes ago, Alli said:

There are very few true "box office draws" left, so it doesn't really matter really. At best Hill's name helped say War Dogs open to maybe 8 million or so. The Jump Street films were more successful because of marketing, reviews, hype etc...