aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals ~ BR2049 32.753M :((, TMBU 10.551M, It 9.972M, MLP:TM 8.885M, K:TGC 8.675M, AM 8.446M, TLNM 7.002 M, V&A 4.171M | All those posts will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die

2 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Yeah there were some teenagers in our Battle of the Sexes screening this afternoon (who clearly snuck in based on how they couldn't decide where to sit... in a screening room with pre-arranged seating) I had to shut up.

One of my favorite theatrical experiences was my best friend and I seeing Pineapple Express. Saturday night, opening weekend and everyone else was watching The Dark Knight for the God-knows-how-manieth time at that multplex. It's us, a few other people our age scattered throughout the 200 seat room... and an elderly couple sitting nice and quiet up front. Besides what a blast we had with the film itself, they were a hoot. Walked out after it ended and couldn't help but hear their conversation.

HUSBAND: Well, that was the stupidest movie I've ever seen...

WIFE: (Proudly) I LIKED IT!

Hahahaha one of my best theater experiences recently was my second screening of IT.

One of the big jump scare moments happened and I heard a loud noise and this person a row behind me loudly say "Shit! There goes my popcorn. Yep it's gone ya'll" as it quieted down.

I was waiting to see how the crowd would react to that scene and they did not let me down lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1.)Blade Runner 2049  (ALC/WB/SONY), 4,058 theaters / $14.1M Fri. (includes $4M previews) / 3-day cume: $36.5M / Wk 1

2.)My Little Pony  (LG), 2,528 heaters / $3.1M Fri. (includes $290K previews) / 3-day cume: $11.1M / Wk 1

3.)The Mountain Between Us  (FOX), 3,088 heaters / $3.45M Fri. (includes $400K previews) / 3-day cume: $9.7M / Wk 1

4.) It  (NL/WB), 3,605 theaters (-312) / $2.7M Fri. / 3-day cume: $9.3M (-45%) / Total: $304.6M / Wk 5

5/6.) Kingsman: The Golden Circle (FOX), 3,488 theaters (-550) / $2.3M Fri.  / 3-day cume: $8.14M (-52%) / Total: $80M / Wk 3

American Made  (UNI), 3,031 (+7) / $2.37M Fri. (-61%) / 3-day cume: $8.12M (-52%)/Total: $30.5M/ Wk 2

7.) The Lego Ninjago Movie (WB), 3,611 theaters (-436) / $1.7M Fri.  / 3-day cume: $6.75M (-42%) / Total: $43.8M / Wk 3

8.) Victoria & Abdul  (FOCUS), 732 theaters (+655) / $1.2K Fri. (+300%) / 3-day cume: $4.5M (+313%)/Total: $6.3M/ Wk 3

9.) Flatliners  (SONY), 2,552 theaters / $1M Fri./ 3-day cume: $3.5M (-46%) / Total: $12M /Wk 2

10.) Battle of the Sexes (FSL), 1,822 theaters (+609) / $728K Fri. / 3-day cume: $2.46M (-28%) / Total: $7.7M / Wk 3

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

1.)Blade Runner 2049  (ALC/WB/SONY), 4,058 theaters / $14.1M Fri. (includes $4M previews) / 3-day cume: $36.5M / Wk 1

2.)My Little Pony  (LG), 2,528 heaters / $3.1M Fri. (includes $290K previews) / 3-day cume: $11.1M / Wk 1

3.)The Mountain Between Us  (FOX), 3,088 heaters / $3.45M Fri. (includes $400K previews) / 3-day cume: $9.7M / Wk 1

4.) It  (NL/WB), 3,605 theaters (-312) / $2.7M Fri. / 3-day cume: $9.3M (-45%) / Total: $304.6M / Wk 5

5/6.) Kingsman: The Golden Circle (FOX), 3,488 theaters (-550) / $2.3M Fri.  / 3-day cume: $8.14M (-52%) / Total: $80M / Wk 3

American Made  (UNI), 3,031 (+7) / $2.37M Fri. (-61%) / 3-day cume: $8.12M (-52%)/Total: $30.5M/ Wk 2

7.) The Lego Ninjago Movie (WB), 3,611 theaters (-436) / $1.7M Fri.  / 3-day cume: $6.75M (-42%) / Total: $43.8M / Wk 3

8.) Victoria & Abdul  (FOCUS), 732 theaters (+655) / $1.2K Fri. (+300%) / 3-day cume: $4.5M (+313%)/Total: $6.3M/ Wk 3

9.) Flatliners  (SONY), 2,552 theaters / $1M Fri./ 3-day cume: $3.5M (-46%) / Total: $12M /Wk 2

10.) Battle of the Sexes (FSL), 1,822 theaters (+609) / $728K Fri. / 3-day cume: $2.46M (-28%) / Total: $7.7M / Wk 3

Seems like another decent drop for IT though. WB should put the extended DC back in theaters at the end of the month and market it. People will come back (including me).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

But, but the Cinemascore ...

:hahaha:

Fanbase movie with a movie following the original I guess ? (and a cinemascore that had screening with fans of the first....), I imagine that score will go down by weekend ends if it is updated. It is beautiful but quite slow without a really rewarding ending like they say.

I was hoping for 21-22mil and got 14mil instead. That's bad. It's not a mystery why these numbers are low. I way over predicted it and I'm not pretending that the numbers are a mystery. Blade Runner is a niche thing and obviously the film didn't look eye catching enough to people. I liked the second trailer but it obviously didn't move the needle enough.

Don't see what's so interesting about My Little Pony's opening weekend. 

The Mountains Between Us did lame numbers. It looked lame so not shocking.

So much for American Made having good legs.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Seriously, a 10M real Friday? Wow, that's........ I tried to maintain myself in check about expectations, and even I am disappointed. I guess saying 40M+ is a lock so much to myself totally jinxed it - which is what I do, I jinx things and people because I'm the embodiment of bad luck. Sorry y'all :sadben:BUT, then again, luck is for losers, winners don't need it, soooooo.... :ph34r:

Anyway, let's see if the internal multiplier is stronger than that (or if DHD's Friday estimates are totally off here), or we have a major letdown in hands here, for sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Openings like this make you start to lose interest in domestic box office 

I mean... I really liked it as a film and I am not a fan of the original. At all.

But this ain't remotely shocking. Sequelizing an already-expensive 35 year-old box-office flop that nobody outside of genre and film dweebs like us remember to the tune of $200M+ 

What did anyone seriously... honestly... expect? And again, I dug 2049 on its own merits. Best to celebrate this film even existing.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 5

41 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Dont know if he was or not but he should have been the first actor they went to when casting the lead 

You can assume they have, most of the time, DiCaprio is attached to 15-20 projects for a reason, he is the top choice a lot of the time and he must say no to a tons of project, it is not like we would know if is agents does not want us too. Walbergh said he started is production company because the only script he ever saw were only for roles DiCaprio passed, were offered to Damon that passed, then to him.

Edited by Barnack

28 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Alcon Entertainment is the studio that co-financed Blade Runner 2049 with Sony and not WB right? And they only get the domestic grosses while Sony gets all the foreign. WB is only the distributor in North America.

From I what I understand if is a 50/50 split with Sony and Alcon (they probably share all revenus with usually sony paying themselves first a little bit), WB is distributing domestic in exchange of a distributing fee (say 20% or something of the domestic gross)

Props to @filmnerdjamie. He nailed the Kingsman predicts, and he nailed his expectation on BR2049 underperforming. Despite the great wom (it's still rocking it on Flixster), it's still a slow paced 2:40+ min. movie and that's not an easy watch for anybody. I don't know if it's gonna have great legs (I can hope, if only because of what Arrival did last year), but.... damn.

(Since you can see the future, what are the three big tentpoles of Nov. and Dec. - Ragnarok, Justice League and The Last Jedi - gonna do? :ph34r:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1