aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals ~ BR2049 32.753M :((, TMBU 10.551M, It 9.972M, MLP:TM 8.885M, K:TGC 8.675M, AM 8.446M, TLNM 7.002 M, V&A 4.171M | All those posts will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die

Was grimdark still a huge fad beyond a shortsighted Warner Brothers who couldn't understand that not every character was Batman? Also Blade Runner is a serious sci fi movie, it's supposed to be dark. Drop the Disney pipe for a moment and realize that every movie shouldn't have a dance off at the end.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

You don’t think BR49 can reach a 2.85 multiplier for $100m?

I doubt 100m with this early front-loading. If the ow is 4 previews + 32 and it does 3x of 32, then the dom will be 4 + 96 = 100. That's 2.78x the ow.

I think the lowest disastrous end is a Covfefe like multiplier: 74.3/36.2 = 2.05x but that's too pessimistic.

MAG7 did ~2.6x (36 ow /93 dom). Even if BR has much better reception, MAG7 did not have sequelitis.

2.5-2.7x with 36 ow gives 90-97 dom. Thinking somewhere in between. High 80s on cards too.

Edited by a2knet

23 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Alcon is fucked but Denis will be fine because he's an awesome filmmaker. He did his job and made a good movie. Not his fault nobody cares about Blade Runner.

yep, it isn't that the movie underperformed in its opening weekend due to horrid reviews. It's simply that the studio may have overestimated the interest in the property but the director did the best job with it that could be done. That said, Legendary may re-think Dune not because of Denis but because of hard sci fi limited appeal. IMO, that property has always been more suitable for GoT-like treatment, and considering how great many TV show production values are these days, it would be a gain for everyone. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

yep, it isn't that the movie underperformed in its opening weekend due to horrid reviews. It's simply that the studio may have overestimated the interest in the property but the director did the best job with it that could be done. That said, Legendary may re-think Dune not because of Denis but because of hard sci fi limited appeal. IMO, that property has always been more suitable for GoT-like treatment, a TV show and considering how great many TV show production values are these days, it would be a gain for everyone. 

Yes, it's doubtful that Dune would make enough money to cover what will have to be an enormous budget.

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

A $36.5m opening is great for a sequel to Blade Runner.  The budget was just far too big for Rated R hard sci-fi film based off a decades old cult favorite IP.  If they kept it around $80-90m they might have had a great franchise starter on their hands.

Yeah, though how do you get those production values on a smaller budget.

Times like these I respect Cameron.

Big budget + great visuals + solid cast =\= easy money ... like few folks say while dissing Avatar (which I too didn't love but will conceded that I was a minority).

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

A $36.5m opening is great for a sequel to Blade Runner.  The budget was just far too big for Rated R hard sci-fi film based off a decades old cult favorite IP.  If they kept it around $80-90m they might have had a great franchise starter on their hands.

I wonder if WB suspected this hence why they just took domestic rights due to their deal with Alcon. 

That's some major ouch for Blade Runner. 

I can understand why not everyone may enjoy it but I thougt was pretty good myself. The length probably threw a lot of people off though.

• Sad 1

I presumed from the get-go that Blade Runner 2049 was going to do relatively so-so (poorly relative to budget) at the box office, and was just happy we were getting a well-financed sequel made by a top notch director to enjoy. I mean, the original has become a cult classic among film fans, but it wasn't some huge phenomenon (and from what I understand, pretty widely disliked when the theatrical version opened).

With that being said, this will be the highest opening film for Villeneuve.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I doubt 100m with this early front-loading. If the ow is 4 previews + 32 and it does 3x of 32, then the dom will be 4 + 96 = 100. That's 2.78x the ow.

I think the lowest disastrous end is a Covfefe like multiplier: 74.3/36.2 = 2.05x but that's too pessimistic.

MAG7 did ~2.6x (36 ow /93 dom). Even if BR has much better reception, MAG7 did not have sequelitis.

2.5-2.7x with 36 ow gives 90-97 dom. Thinking somewhere in between. High 80s on cards too.

Weekend frontloading means nothing. Look at Dunkirk. Very frontloaded on the weekend and ends up with 3.7+ multiplier. 

10 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Big budget + great visuals + solid cast =\= easy money ... like few folks say while dissing Avatar (which I too didn't love but will conceded that I was a minority).

Big Budget + great visuals + solid cast + cliche story so no one is challenged - easy money.

Blade Runners universe and story isnt easily accessible. Avatars is. Which i dont mean as a negative per se.

Edited by Brainbug

Well fuck, looks like this is going to be close to my 37M prediction in the Derby :jeb!: 

Good for MLP, MBU, and It.

That's an extremely disappointing hold for AM. Kingsman dropped as expected.

That is a SUPER impressive number for Victoria and Abdul. It should be going wider over the next few weeks.

Flatliners holding that well shows how starved teens are for a movie. It'll collapse next weekend when HDD is out.

Battle of the Sexes' expansion didn't do much to help it out.

@Alli The Snowman's embargo comes from a user on Awards Watch who is going to a critics screening on the day before previews

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, cookie said:

That's some major ouch for Blade Runner. 

I can understand why not everyone may enjoy it but I thougt was pretty good myself. The length probably threw a lot of people off though.

I don't think enjoyment and WOM are to blame. Poeple simply aren't interested this weekend. Sometimes you are aware that a really good movie is playing but you just aren't interested in its premise or stars or both or other reason (length). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Yeah, though how do you get those production values on a smaller budget.

The first film had great visuals and production values - probably better with a $28m budget which in 2017 $s is about $70m.  Now production costs haven't followed along with inflation but Ghost In The Shell reportedly cost $110m and it looked pretty good.  The script was just pants.   But if the script can't be fulfilled with a smaller budget, change it.  Adapt. 

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Big Budget + great visuals + solid cast + cliche story so no one is challenged - easy money.

Blade Runners universe and story isnt easily accessible. Avatars is. Which i dont mean as a negative per se.

i think it's easy to feel that way now. but avatar had blue fully cgi characters in lieu of real human characters for most part. that was risky has hell. the story was less complex and more ga-friendly than BR for sure. but after the original BR flopped, they should have tried to fix that somewhat this time around.