aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals ~ BR2049 32.753M :((, TMBU 10.551M, It 9.972M, MLP:TM 8.885M, K:TGC 8.675M, AM 8.446M, TLNM 7.002 M, V&A 4.171M | All those posts will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die

Covenant was forgettable pandering although Fassbender did some career best work in it, don't care at all that it underperformed.  Scott and co should've made a Prometheus sequel.  Always better to aim high and risk failing than playing it safe imo.

Blade Runner 2049 bombing though, that hurts though.  Well, I don't know if Blade Runner needs or should have more than 2 movies.  Alien certainly didn't.

Just now, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Could you report the post, please?

Just did but I've reported similar posts from people over the past few months and while yeah as someone who's not a part of the moderator and administrator group, I don't see everything but from what I can see not much is done to curb the issues when actual trolls who basically just exist to troll are left unbanned and that's a bigger issue then people who at least join the discussion at times albeit do it in a toxic manner frequently. I'm not saying that there can't be disagreements, it's a movie forum, movies are something where debates get heated frequently and that's fine, but the constant snideness and toxicity has just gotten incredibly unpleasant to be around and read.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

You can see that everyone wanted Blade Runner to succeed because the box office articles today are very defensive. Wonder why they can't afford the same courtesy to say, a Transformers movie.

Or VALERIAN, or A:C, or any number of underperformers. They're hardly objective -- in this particular case they admired the movie. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Just did but I've reported similar posts from people over the past few months and while yeah as someone who's not a part of the moderator and administrator group, I don't see everything but from what I can see not much is done to curb the issues when actual trolls who basically just exist to troll are left unbanned and that's a bigger issue then people who at least join the discussion at times albeit do it in a toxic manner frequently. I'm not saying that there can't be disagreements, it's a movie forum, movies are something where debates get heated frequently and that's fine, but the constant snideness and toxicity has just gotten incredibly unpleasant to be around and read.

All due respect, but how do you know nothing's been done?

You can see that everyone wanted Blade Runner to succeed because the box office articles today are very defensive. Wonder why they can't afford the same courtesy to say, a Transformers movie.

Links to those articles?

also yes, people root for movies like Pirates and Transformers to fail but then get a rude awakening when it happens to movies they like as well 

Just now, Squadron Leader Tele said:

All due respect, but how do you know nothing's been done?

I didn't say nothing's been done and that's why I included a clause that I don't see everything behind the scenes, however when there's visible troll accounts which exist just to troll that still aren't banned then it just to me shows that there's still a problem.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It'd be a very good result if the budget wasn't at least 3x as big.

This movie wasn't completely on my radar so I didn't know the budget until the last few weeks but assumed it was closer to Arrival than Mad Max 4.  I was also surprised when tracking numbers started appearing at $40m+ and then $50m+ by the trades and B.O. sites.

I don't think it's 20-20 hindsight thinking they made a big mistake overestimating the demand and audience for this film.  I think it was an extreme lack of foresight in the never ending chase of IP that could hopefully spawn sequels.  It's just the artier side of a studio spending $200m on a movie based on You Sunk My Battleship.

From Alcon's POV, a sequel to Blade Runner made sense. It had a strong afterlife with home entertainment. I think Warner Bros were more hesitant hence why they only distribute it domestically. 

Edited by Jonwo

Just now, Mojoguy said:

BR's massive budget is going to kill it more than anything. Whoever decided to greenlight that budget kind of didn't think this through.

It was financed by Alcon and Sony. I don't think you could do Blade Runner on the cheap, I imagine getting Harrison Ford back cost them a pretty penny

• Founder / Operator

This is one reason I try to ignore the sensationalism of box office reporting in certain corners of the Internet. It's one thing to give detailed reasons and/or hypotheses as to why a movie didn't measure up to box office expectations. It's a completely different beast to impose subjective, negative opinions about a movie or franchise onto said movie or franchise just because the author has what he/she thinks is an opportunity to get on their podium when the movie they're rooting against fails on some level.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

I didn't say nothing's been done and that's why I included a clause that I don't see everything behind the scenes, however when there's visible troll accounts which exist just to troll that still aren't banned then it just to me shows that there's still a problem.

I dunno what to say. I guess we disagree in some areas, given the post you reported. I don't think it falls into the categories you're talking about. 

In terms of other people or other situations, we're generally fairly lenient here -- and always have been -- so again, I'm not sure what to say. I feel like we hand out enough suspensions and bans, and unless something significantly changes, I don't see us getting a lot harsher suddenly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I dunno what to say. I guess we disagree in some areas, given the post you reported. I don't think it falls into the categories you're talking about. 

In terms of other people or other situations, we're generally fairly lenient here -- and always have been -- so again, I'm not sure what to say. I feel like we hand out enough suspensions and bans, and unless something significantly changes, I don't see us getting a lot harsher suddenly. 

Agree to disagree then I guess.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

How burnt are we talking?

It was a somewhat false alarm. It's a bit crunchy but it was mostly the cheese on the edges.

The numbers are bad, but the pizza is still good.

I know I joked earlier about Blade Runner 2079 but I wouldn't be surprised if a future financier company or studio does decide to make a third Blade Runner in 30 years time, with motion captured Harrison Ford and 66 year old Ryan Gosling and whoever the big auteur director is in the year 2047. 

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

From Alcon's POV, a sequel to Blade Runner made sense. It had a strong afterlife with home entertainment. I think Warner Bros were more hesitant hence why they only distribute it domestically. 

A sequel made sense. 

Not one at $150-185m not including P&A though.

• Like 1