Alli

WEEKEND Box Office: BOO-21.6M; Geostorm-13.3M; OTB-6M; Snowman-3.4M

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

Only the Brave: Detroit, Flatliners, Battle of the Sexes

Hide contents

2x:

Deadpool 2: Logan, Logan Round 2

The Shape of Water: War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, mother!

Black Panther: The Hitman’s Bodyguard, mother!

Darkest Hour: Atomic Blonde, Blade Runner 2049

Same Kind of Different as Me: Megan Leavey, The Stray

The Star: The Emoji Movie, My Little Pony: The Movie

Downsizing: mother!, Battle of the Sexes

Polaroid: Wind River, Happy Death Day

Annihilation: Blade Runner 2049, Happy Death Day

Father Figures: American Made, Happy Death Day

The Greatest Showman: Despicable Me 3

A Wrinkle in Time: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Call Me by Your Name: Brigsby Bear

Novitiate: Brigsby Bear

The Killing of a Sacred Deer: Good Time

Forever My Girl: Megan Leavey

Alpha: Dunkirk Round 2

Proud Mary: Girls Trip

The Current War: Wind River

Boo 2! A Madea Halloween: The Hitman’s Bodyguard

Paddington 2: The LEGO Ninjago Movie

Isle of Dogs: The LEGO Ninjago Movie

Pacific Rim: Uprising: Blade Runner 2049

Roman J. Israel Esq.: Blade Runner 2049

The Commuter: American Made

All the Money in the World: American Made

Tomb Raider: Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Red Sparrow: Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Super Troopers 2: Kingsman: The Golden Circle

The Man Who Invented Christmas: The Stray

Duck Duck Goose: My Little Pony: The Movie

Keep Watching: Happy Death Day

Maze Runner: The Death Cure: Happy Death Day

Insidious: The Last Key: Happy Death Day

Wow, you barely got OTB :jeb!: There was a time I thought it could be my next stalker :lol: 

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It is hard to distinguish if it is :

1) People are less interested about a movie if they hear someone they do not know is the star than when it was just unknown who it would be

2) Do not like him

3) Imagined a list of possible name they would have preferred when the question came up and he was just not has popular than those in their heads.

Well people are technically drawn into the more concept then the star these days, so unfamiliarity may a play part in these random polls. I don't think a lot of people skip a film, just because of who's in it though, as audiences seem to care about actual names as much, anymore. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

5 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Well people are technically drawn into the more concept then the star these days, so unfamiliarity may a play part in these random polls. I don't think a lot of people skip a film, just because of who's in it though, as audiences seem to care about actual names as much, anymore. 

I think studios do some kind of polling.i believe there's some truth to drawing power.  there's a reason Jennifer Lawrence is paid 20M a movie. she's a likely draw. plus she has a very likeable personality. but of course if the movie is truly shit or controversial, nothing can help it.

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1

Minus Madea, this weekend is trash. Only The Brave may have great wom, but should do $7 milion for the weekend. While The Snowman, with an  horrendous audience score, it will more likely die. Then the other two, Geostorm will be lucky jto perform(more likely though) like Transcendence or Pompeii. Then Same Kind Of Different Me will probably debut like All Saints or last Fall's I'm Not Ashamed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Alli said:

I think studios do some kind of polling.i believe there's some truth to drawing power.  there's a reason Jennifer Lawrence is paid 20M a movie. she's a likely draw. plus she has a very likeable personality. but of course if the movie is truly shit or controversial, nothing can help it.

Actual huge box office draws are rare though. Lawrence gets paid as much as she does, because for the most part, she's very good with her script choices.  

Remember when say Hanks could get a film like Cast Away to gross $233m domestically, or when comedies with mega-stars, used to do really huge numbers. You don't seem to see that anymore, because everything is all about the big blockbuster. It seems to have eclipsed actual drawing power.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

How come? (Asking only because you're more thoughtful than most, not getting defensive.)

:redcapes:

Mostly I just thought it was dreadfully self-serious and overdone. I was with it during the early scenes, especially liked the scene in the bar with James Badge Dale and the group of women they're trying to impress/pick up, which had a kind of loose energy the rest of the movie didn't. But then it just devolved into laughable melodrama. I guess my overall problem is that it swings between two extremes - first presenting Fassbender as a guy who has the power to make women wet just by staring at them, and then quickly going as far as to have him cry during orgasms and accept random blowjobs from men and fall to his knees in the rain and wail because PAIN and MISERY. And then there's the implication of childhood abuse as a half-assed explanation of sorts, which is neither here nor there. Any serious exploration of sex addiction gets lost in the process imo.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Naw, he is amazing in Steve Jobs. He steals 12 Years of Slaver as a fucking slaveowner. He has amazing chops. He needs a better agent to get him the right parts. He needs to be more like Daniel Day-Lewis and be much much much more discerning with choosing his roles.

Fassbinder has Marlon Brando disease...a superb actor who is often a poor judge of scripts.

We can all snicker at the Medea films,  but there are a studio exec's dream....they cost little to make, but are incredibly  reliable  performers at the box office. They are  money in the bank.

And a franchise like Medea can help to pay off the losses from expensive failures. Don't forget, what matters in the end is not what the individual films do, but the balance sheet for the studio's whole program at the end of the year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Fassbender suffers from Colin Farrell syndrome: a character actor cast in leading man roles because of his looks. He'll never be a draw, but I've always found him very watchable.

Jude Law is another example. He gained attention from great supporting turns (Ripley, A.I., Road to Perdition), then he flopped as a Hollywood leading man and went back to supporting roles and lead in only small movies. 

Fassbender, Farrell and Law are all very good actors in my book.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

New BOP predictions and TCs: http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-forecast-star-wars-last-jedi-ferdinand/

Star Wars: 215/742

Ferdinand: 20/150

Jigsaw: 12/25.8 (-20%)

Suburbicon: 8.5/27 (-15/16%)

Daddy's Home: 27/85.5 (-10%)

Orient Express: 25/94 (+6%)

Thor: 4,000

Bad Moms: 3,200

Next weekend is gonna be such a calm-before-the-storm frame.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Some theaters are doing advance screenings of Bad Moms on Wednesday night. I don't know if this is a good or bad buzz booster given Sony tried the same thing with OTB last week. It's selling well in presales at least.

Whats OTB?