Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Not really sure where to ask this in the forum, as it crosses over several different areas, but I'd like to ask the BOT Hive Mind an Amazon Prime app question.

I have Amazon Prime. I do NOT have a smart TV.  If I bought a smart TV that has the Amazon Prime app natively and then I bought (not streamed/rented, BOUGHT) a movie/TV series/whatever that can be downloaded, can I download the movie/TV show onto an external hard drive, hook up that hard drive to the smart TV and then have the Amazon Prime Video app 'look for' whatever I bought on that hard drive?  Presuming that, yes, the Amazon app on the smart TV is associated with my account.

See, I know I can download/purchase some Amazon Prime content.  And I know that an app on my computer can be tied into my Amazon Prime account and play it. At least I'm pretty sure on that point.

What I do not know is if the Amazon Prime app on a smart TV is, well, smart enough to look for an already bought and downloaded program on a hard drive hooked up to my TV.

The reason I ask is I detest the thought of constantly streaming things when I have 'bought' them (and not just for bandwidth concerns).

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter. :)

(if there is a specific forum where I should ask this, point me in the direction and I'll ask it there)

Saw Vice tonight, thought it was pretty great. The post-credit scene is legit one of the best I've ever seen. 

Seeing On the Basis of Sex and The Upside next week I think. Can U Ever Forgive Me on the 21st and Ben is Back (I think) on the 25th. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Saw Vice tonight, thought it was pretty great. The post-credit scene is legit one of the best I've ever seen. 

Seeing On the Basis of Sex and The Upside next week I think. Can U Ever Forgive Me on the 21st and Ben is Back (I think) on the 25th. 

Quite the lineup! I'm seeing VICE next weekend.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

@Porthos in no way, shape, or form am I super-familiar with Prime purchases, but I don’t think so. Your best bet might be to snag a Roku? MoviesAnywhere will sync most movies and have them playable thru streaming devices.

I want to avoid the Plex/server route if I can as I have other options there, but I'll keep that (and MoviesAnywhere) in mind. 👍

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I want to avoid the Plex/server route if I can as I have other options there, but I'll keep that (and MoviesAnywhere) in mind. 👍

I'm also pretty sure MoviesAnywhere in this case would still be streaming it off the cloud, which is what I want to avoid if at all possible.  But I'll look into offline storage options there as well. :)

43 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm also pretty sure MoviesAnywhere in this case would still be streaming it off the cloud, which is what I want to avoid if at all possible.  But I'll look into offline storage options there as well. :)

Not to be super-snotty, but if you wanna avoid any sort of streaming and also want to avoid a home media server, just get Blu-rays. Unless someone knows something I don’t (quite possible). 

21 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Not to be super-snotty, but if you wanna avoid any sort of streaming and also want to avoid a home media server, just get Blu-rays. Unless someone knows something I don’t (quite possible). 

I already have a home media player for my ripped DVDs/Blu-Rays is the point. :lol: (Also looking into different, newer, ones, but that's besides the point)

=====

Okay, you asked for it, Tele. ;)

My problem is that a small amount of DVD/Blu Rays which I rip don't have subtitles or closed captions but the ones I can purchase off of Amazon Prime video almost always do.  Now, for me, this isn't a problem. But for my elderly father who is very hard of hearing, having subtitles/CC is nearly a necessity. 

I've just been ignoring this all this time and just not buying any DVDs/BRs without subtitles/CCs, but recently I've been looking into things which I can buy and download off of Amazon Prime which fit the bill.  But before I go through the time and trouble of all of this I wanted to do my homework and ask if someone was already using an external HD on a smart TV with the Amazon Prime Video app.

Now I could go through the immense trouble of buying the Amazon Prime version of the program in question, ripping off the subtitles, and then remixing it on the DVD/Blu-ray.  But that is a hassle I'd really like to avoid. :lol:

Hence asking if I could just play a purchased Amazon Prime vid off an external HD. ;)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Alas, I know not (not nearly familiar enough with both Prime and non-Apple ways of getting video to your TV). Is it a stupid suggestion to just use VLC or something and get an HDMI cable from your laptop or other computer?

Probably not.  If I had to bite the bullet, I could probably go the Plex route or set up a mini-computer and hook it up to a TV as an HTPC. But then we're dealing with the issue of controlling the HTPC via a remote.  Which has already got me twitching. :P

Hence looking for a more elegant solution from a more civilized time.

---

Really, a smart TV IS just a glorified computer bolted to a TV, so in theory this might work.  I just don't feel like popping for a smart TV and then finding out it doesn't.  

This is also something that I don't need to deal with in the short term, but I was thinking about it just now and thought I might get some advice from folks here who might have dealt with Amazon Prime on their smart TVs.  Like if most new TVs have this app built in already, might as well find out if it can solve a 'problem' that's reared it's head on occasion. :)

• Like 1

The most elegant solution is just to stream that sumbitch. :ph34r: 

(Well, not really the most elegant, but certainly the simplest.)

My TV is technically “smart” but it’s relatively old. That being said, its Amazon Prime app doesn’t indicate any way to navigate elsewhere for purchased movies. There might be a way to hack it, I suppose. But at some point all this becomes more trouble than it's worth, no? Especially since we’re talking only a few titles here and there (in theory).

edit: I googled a bit and it seems like Amazon doesn’t let you download to anything other than a mobile device. (At least as of last year). 

“Unfortunately, Amazon video can only be downloaded to certain mobile devices.  It can’t be downloaded to a PC.”

https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/digital-content/prime-video/465608-download-purchased-movies-to-an-external-drive

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The most elegant solution is just to stream that sumbitch. :ph34r: 

(Well, not really the most elegant, but certainly the simplest.)

My TV is technically “smart” but it’s relatively old. That being said, its Amazon Prime app doesn’t indicate any way to navigate elsewhere for purchased movies. There might be a way to hack it, I suppose. But at some point all this becomes more trouble than it's worth, no? Especially since we’re talking only a few titles here and there (in theory).

edit: I googled a bit and it seems like Amazon doesn’t let you download to anything other than a mobile device. (At least as of last year). 

“Unfortunately, Amazon video can only be downloaded to certain mobile devices.  It can’t be downloaded to a PC.”

https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/digital-content/prime-video/465608-download-purchased-movies-to-an-external-drive

Thanks for that. 

But because I can be a stubborn sumbitch (shocking, I know :blush: :lol:), I'll look into it further.  Already got some leads via Google, but thanks for the clarification that the simple solution I was hoping for won't work. 👍

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1