Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

8 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Agreed. I’ll confess to not really seeking out any contrary opinions on this subject, but is there really a significant base of people outside of whomever concocted this thing in league offices that really *likes* this extra inning ghost runner nonsense? It feels like the reaction has been largely negative (and rightly so).

People who like Pinball Baseball and want games to be over so they can watch something else.

So, yes.  Including the cheerleaders anchors over at MLB Network like Greg Amsinger who just want chaos on the field as it is "exciting".

I actually like Greg usually.  But dude is... Well, I've yet to hear him be disagreeable with any MLB rule change.  And he really likes seeing things that introduce more chaos to the game.  Gots more to say about him, but I'll hold my tongue for once.

Isn't that hard to find positive opinions on this.  Folks like to cloak it in "don't make baseball boring" and "think of player safety", but ultimately?  

It really comes down to: They want baseball games to be over with so they can watch something else.  Short attention span theater, in other words.

Edited by Porthos

IMO the 'ghost runner' should start at 1st base. If it goes into the 12th, then shift to 2nd. A gradual escalation if you will.

Overall I don't like the rule in general but I will say since the Astros have a shit bullpen, I just don't like extra innings PERIOD lol. I got to go to the Orioles game yesterday and it was AMAZING. 13 runs baby

• Like 2

Was watching quite a bit of Conan this week including rewatching some Conan Without Borders episodes. Sad that the show is ending today, but hopefully whatever this new show he is going to do next is going to have the same kind of quality comedy. I wonder if staff members like Jordan Schlansky and Aaron will also move onto that show since his interactions with them is better than the celeb stuff (I'm pretty sure Sona will move since she's his personal assistant).

22 hours ago, MrPink said:

I got to go to the Orioles game yesterday and it was AMAZING. 13 runs baby

Yeessss, I thot you might be in a better mood lately regarding the 'stros. :lol:   Going on an 11 game win streak and outscoring your opponents by a bazillion runs in the meantime probably increases your enjoyment of the games.  Just a smidge, that is. ;)

• Like 2

Finally finished my Lost rewatch with my parents, and I wasn't sobbing for the last 20 minutes like the first time, but that ending still gives me goosebumps. One thing I noticed throughout the rewatch (and why the ending works so well imo) is how the show focuses and lingers on human gestures. Not a fan of most of season 6, but the ending probably the most beautiful piece of TV I've ever seen (tied with The Leftovers ending probably).

Putting this in spoilers because cjohn seems to still be going through the show.

Spoiler

For the alternate timeline/afterlife part, did the writers rip off an amazing neurosurgeon who has a son who is extremely talented with the piano, both of whome have a terrible relationship with each other from Everwood lol?

• Thanks 1

Watched on Netflix a movie called The Room (with Olga Kurylenko). Totally recommend, better than most fiction movies that play in theaters. The acting is kinda bad, but the movie is worth it. Way better than the low rating on Imdb. The RT critics score is more in line with the quality of the movie.

Edited by Maggie

6 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Fuck Angel Hernandez but also fuck da Giants. :ph34r:

Ah, the rare post where I can't leave any sort of reaction, even though I'd like to.  A conundrum, it is.

Hmmm...

How about this as a reply, instead:

5ev112.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Chicago said:

France just got spectacularly knocked out of the Euros and ya'll still discussing Baseball. 

Why wouldn't I want to discuss the best sport on earth???  :thinking:

edited:

Besides, Angel Hernandez's suckiness transcends mere fandom of one particular sport or another.  When someone sees call after call after call that is that atrocious?

Well, the Muse strikes when it does, and can not be denied. 👍

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Why wouldn't I want to discuss the best sport on earth???  :thinking:

edited:

Besides, Angel Hernandez's suckiness transcends mere fandom of one particular sport or another.  When someone sees call after call after call that is that atrocious?

Well, the Muse strikes when it does, and can not be denied. 👍

Baseball is just a less skillful version of cricket

15 minutes ago, Chicago said:

At some point hollywood will just have to come up with new stories. I miss the days where a franchise was born out of nothing.

It feels like the only ones in recent years are John Wick and Knives Out, am I missing others? (I suppose there are smaller scale genre ones like The Purge).

26 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

It feels like the only ones in recent years are John Wick and Knives Out, am I missing others? (I suppose there are smaller scale genre ones like The Purge).

A Quiet Place. Also the entire Conjuring franchise is still going sorta strong although that will be turning a decade old in two years.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1