Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Yeesh, this place sometimes feels like it is slowly turning into Men's Rights Activist Theory. Every single topic is pretty much turning into a bunch of people shitting on the MeToo movement and finding ways to excuse people accused of sexual assault. You go into the fucking Star is Born topic and there's a bunch of people talking about how MeToo is ruining Hollywood. I respect that there is absolutely some real complexity to this issue, but it seems that people are willing to excuse a heck of a lot to feel comfortable. The main Weinstein thread is particularly icky. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Yeesh, this place sometimes feels like it is slowly turning into Men's Rights Activist Theory. Every single topic is pretty much turning into a bunch of people shitting on the MeToo movement and finding ways to excuse people accused of sexual assault. You go into the fucking Star is Born topic and there's a bunch of people talking about how MeToo is ruining Hollywood. I respect that there is absolutely some real complexity to this issue, but it seems that people are willing to excuse a heck of a lot to feel comfortable. The main Weinstein thread is particularly icky. 

Mods already getting prepared for when Ocean's Eight about to come out in a few months like:

Image result for harley quinn hammer

33 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Most people I see are talking about how Hollywood is taking the wrong lesson from MeToo (i.e because of MeToo all sex is bad so we must cut down our movie because of it even though the movement is about abuse of power and not consensual sex), which is pretty much Hollywood standard operation.

The Weinstein thread is something else though. Geez.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, cookie said:

Most people I see are talking about how Hollywood is taking the wrong lesson from MeToo (i.e because of MeToo all sex is bad so we must cut down our movie because of it even though the movement is about abuse of power and not consensual sex), which is pretty much Hollywood standard operation.

The Weinstein thread is something else though. Geez.

Yea I guess it reads more like that but Hollywood's conservative views on sex in contrast to violence has always been a major issue. I just don't get why the MeToo movement has anything to do with a movie already been shot for months. 

The Weinstein thread makes me want to take a shower whenever I read a new post. 

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with the #metoo movement as it highlights a problem that many people (mostly men) have thought was not that big of an issue in this modern progressive era. 

The issue is with Hollywood, who are now a bunch of lying hypocrites after spending years spewing moral absolutism ontop people from privileged places.

I don't know how in Cmasterclay world that makes one an MRA member lol 

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 hour ago, La Binoche said:

Well apparently it's Meryl's fault that a number of actresses allowed Harvey Weinstein to take advantage of them instead of telling him to fuck off, so that might cost her. 

I think in my eyes she is a bit tainted because Weinstein behaviour was rather well known in the Hollywood Insider circles and two of them worked together and many others who worked closely with Weinstein have been tainted as well. 

15 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Yea I guess it reads more like that but Hollywood's conservative views on sex in contrast to violence has always been a major issue. I just don't get why the MeToo movement has anything to do with a movie already been shot for months. 

Not just Hollywood. The rest of the world is still baffled at the national meltdown a nipple caused the last decade.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think people are trying to expand the discussion of MeToo, starting off as a discussion about the abuse of women by men in power to becoming also about how women are viewed in Hollywood. Thing is the latter discussion isn't really new.

Edited by Jay Beezy

25 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think in my eyes she is a bit tainted because Weinstein behaviour was rather well known in the Hollywood Insider circles and two of them worked together and many others who worked closely with Weinstein have been tainted as well. 

Nicole Kidman doesn't feel tainted, and she worked with him even more than Streep. 

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, it has stood out to me over the years how male directors often sexualize their actresses in films just for the sake of it. You almost never see that in films directed by females re: their male actors.

I think that will change over time as more female directors direct more mainstream films. 

The partially Nude scene in Wonder Women of Chris Pine is an example if the type of sexuality we shall see in such films.

I dont have an issue with it, but I don't buy the argument men won't be sexualized in female-directed blockbuster films in the future. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1