Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

I need to get in a group for a group project tomorrow, and it's been bugging me. The people I sit next to would've been ideal because I'm somewhat sociable with them, but their group is full. I don't want to be stuck with a shitty group. GAH

20 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I need to get in a group for a group project tomorrow, and it's been bugging me. The people I sit next to would've been ideal because I'm somewhat sociable with them, but their group is full. I don't want to be stuck with a shitty group. GAH

Maybe that's why you need to be in another group. Expand your horizon

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

I think the film Drive has single-handedly revived synth music. There's a shitload of new acts now. 

To think I used to hate 80s music as a kid. Now I really jam to it.

When I first saw it I assumed M83 was involved. 

Ya know, Drag Me To Hell, that was kind of a harsh punishment just for denying an old lady a loan. Then again, it was a greedy thing to do for the sake of a promotion, and she tried cursing an innocent person, so she kinda deserved it. Then again, she looked like the type of girl that would recycle and use paper bags, so she should get some points for that right?

• Haha 1

Just now, Jandrew said:

Ya know, Drag Me To Hell, that was kind of a harsh punishment just for denying an old lady a loan. Then again, it was a greedy thing to do for the sake of a promotion, and she tried cursing an innocent person, so she kinda deserved it. Then again, she looked like the type of girl that would recycle and use paper bags, so she should get some points for that right?

Best movie ever. I saw it opening weekend and the audience lost their shit during this scene:

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Lessons learned:

1. Don't work for a bank.

2. Don't slight the elderly.

3. Don't work for a bank.

4. Be nice.

5. Don't work for a bank.

6. If your girlfriend is acting paranoid and you havent seen her house cat lately, travel by plane, not train.

7. Don't work for a bank.

Got it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Moon -> Source Code -> Warcraft -> Mute is such a crazy progression. Source Code is one of the few movies where the director should have listened to the studio regarding where the movie should end instead of where he thought it should end. The freeze frame where like 99% of people will assume it ends was where the studio wanted the ending as well, Jones tacked on the final 5 minutes.

Seriously hope he regains form at some point, sad to see

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jandrew said:

Holy shit this Toronto/Detroit game. This is peak NBA. DeRozan is a G. He just dunked so hard with 4 seconds left he cut his hand. The Raptors are too legit. We seriously may not get Warriors/Cavs this year, it just may actually happen. We may finally be able to watch basketball again.

So I take it you trust the process as well! Nice to hear

• Haha 1

So I guess I'm not as confident at finding a place as I was before and Im getting nervous :( I could really use some advice.

So my 2 friends I've had since grade 6, one guy one girl, are all looking for a place in Victoria for September to go to university. We had looked at a place to rent last night and contacted the person, it was a 10 minute bus ride to the Uni 3 bedrooms, it's 1950 a month furnished so 650 each. Problem is they want us down there this weekend but none of us can make it cause, well, its MANY hours away to get there we just couldn't make the trip this weekend... and by the time we could make it aka next weekend, likely the place would be gone. So keep looking I guess... or should we bend over backwards for this place. Is it really that unique/worth it

Then my parents said they would be interested in maybe buying a place for my friends and I as a sort of long term investment and the three of us would split the mortgage payments. Using a mortgage calculator we could get a 400 000 dollar place and it would cost us 650 a month each. But our budgets are about 750 each so we could pretty much go as high as 450k but how easy it'll be to find a 3 bedroom place for that I have no idea. One of my friend's parents expressed interest in maybe going in on that 50/50 with my parents but idk if that would be a good idea even... would it?

And then today my friend had 2 girls in his bio class say they were looking for a place next year they found one its 5 bedroom and it would cost us each, what do you know, 650 a month. They asked if the 3 of us wanted in on it and yea that would be a sweet deal its a huge place but idk about living with 2 people I've never met... and 5 people in general that's a lot. You never know when someone might move out unexpectedly and leave the rest with the rent. And with EVERY rental its a one year thing so we would have to stay there in summer even though our families live elsewhere. 

And with buying a place we have somewhere guaranteed till we finish school. Our parents could make our money back, and my parents are selling the house we live in now and moving to an apartment so we have tons of furniture to bring. Sure we could still pay rent in summer but it'd be a place that like our families could have so like if the three of us weren't staying there permanently in summer it would be a place to have. Or we could sublet it out during summers... idk. I don't know about any of this, does anyone have any advice?

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

So I guess I'm not as confident at finding a place as I was before and Im getting nervous :( I could really use some advice.

So my 2 friends I've had since grade 6, one guy one girl, are all looking for a place in Victoria for September to go to university. We had looked at a place to rent last night and contacted the person, it was a 10 minute bus ride to the Uni 3 bedrooms, it's 1950 a month furnished so 650 each. Problem is they want us down there this weekend but none of us can make it cause, well, its MANY hours away to get there we just couldn't make the trip this weekend... and by the time we could make it aka next weekend, likely the place would be gone. So keep looking I guess... or should we bend over backwards for this place. Is it really that unique/worth it

Then my parents said they would be interested in maybe buying a place for my friends and I as a sort of long term investment and the three of us would split the mortgage payments. Using a mortgage calculator we could get a 400 000 dollar place and it would cost us 650 a month each. But our budgets are about 750 each so we could pretty much go as high as 450k but how easy it'll be to find a 3 bedroom place for that I have no idea. One of my friend's parents expressed interest in maybe going in on that 50/50 with my parents but idk if that would be a good idea even... would it?

And then today my friend had 2 girls in his bio class say they were looking for a place next year they found one its 5 bedroom and it would cost us each, what do you know, 650 a month. They asked if the 3 of us wanted in on it and yea that would be a sweet deal its a huge place but idk about living with 2 people I've never met... and 5 people in general that's a lot. You never know when someone might move out unexpectedly and leave the rest with the rent. And with EVERY rental its a one year thing so we would have to stay there in summer even though our families live elsewhere. 

And with buying a place we have somewhere guaranteed till we finish school. Our parents could make our money back, and my parents are selling the house we live in now and moving to an apartment so we have tons of furniture to bring. Sure we could still pay rent in summer but it'd be a place that like our families could have so like if the three of us weren't staying there permanently in summer it would be a place to have. Or we could sublet it out during summers... idk. I don't know about any of this, does anyone have any advice?

If one of you could make the trip that's fine also, I'm living in a house right now that I didn't inspect myself. I just saw the pictures and listened to the explanations from someone I trusted.

I don't know much about the American housing system but why pay rent when you can pay mortgage right? When renting you're just throwing money into The Abyss (trademark james cameron). The trickiness comes from the dynamics of 5 parties owning the house, can these people be trusted in a long terms? Will someone get wet feet and want to drop out... etc. You would need contingency plans.

The third option is the reality for most university goers! Strangers are fine most of the time, or maybe I was just lucky. Invite the two bio girls and your friends to go eat or something if you want to get a better grasp. I must have lived with about 12 strangers so far, sure they come and go but I was friends with most of them when we lived together. Just sign a 1 year contract, if it doesn't work out find somewhere else for your second year (assuming this is your first year of university).

option 1&3 are the perfectly normal and won't be too much different, if you can pick 1. Option 2 is a little wild, you will need listen to and trust your parents on that one if you think of doing it.

Of course this is just for consideration after-all like JamesCameronScholar my expertise lies in the field of James Cameron, in life sometimes you got to do things that seem a little scary at first. I was shitting it when going to my first year dorm, never having lived away from home or making my own dinners / washing my clothes / paying bills, but it's all pretty easy and it all went dandy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cloverfield was utter crap. It didn't raise any questions other than how the fuck did it cost $45 million to make? Or is that just the price Netflix bought it for.

Edited by Treeing Me Apart
  • Like 1