Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

You're only mad about this because of MoviePass.

If MoviePass had enough leverage to guarantee reserved seating, you'd care far less.

That's a factor that plays into it but even without MoviePass I'd still be bothered by reserved seating

1 minute ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

But those were also the days of only having one theater available. I do same day, spur of the moment watching whenever I can... only difference is I pull up my mobile Fandango app to see what’s playing and at what theater. And, of course, whether I can get a decent seat. 

Even in my area where there's only one theater for a good portion of the county (until the new theater opens anyways), reserved seating isn't that hard to deal with.

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

UK's been reserve seats for ages now... at least at VUE and Cineplexium

the first movie i saw with reserved seats at my local was GREEN LANTERN. obviously i didn't need to worry about whether or not i was gonna be able to get a decent seat.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's not like you can't get same day tickets anymore; unless it's a movie opening to 30M+, you can easily get seats only a couple of hours in advance.

The issue is the theater capacity is much smaller (like, sub-100 is the average size at my reserved seating theater) and it's a really popular theater.  Annihilation sold out on opening night and that opened with $11M.  I saw Detroit in its 4th weekend (when it was averaging $482 per theater) and that was 60% full.  Roman J. Israel opened with $4M and the theater was nearly sold out (a few stray seats were left open).  Hell, even a preview showing of Downsizing attracted a decent amount of people (nearly half full).

8 minutes ago, That Ambitious Guy said:

The issue is the theater capacity is much smaller (like, sub-100 is the average size at my reserved seating theater) and it's a really popular theater.  Annihilation sold out on opening night and that opened with $11M.  I saw Detroit in its 4th weekend (when it was averaging $482 per theater) and that was 60% full.  Roman J. Israel opened with $4M and the theater was nearly sold out (a few stray seats were left open).  Hell, even a preview showing of Downsizing attracted a decent amount of people (nearly half full).

Yes, so that's the problem, not reserved seating.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Nothing beats walking into the theatre 20 minutes after the session start time and seeing the best seat in the house empty and waiting for you.

I'm just about to leave for avengers. Without reserved seating I probably would've had to have left like an hour ago.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the first movie i saw with reserved seats at my local was GREEN LANTERN. obviously i didn't need to worry about whether or not i was gonna be able to get a decent seat.

you ever been a complete BADMAN and moved into a VIP seat because they were empty after it started? B)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

Pretty much every reserved seating theater in my area is like this with the only exception being the IMAX auditoriums.  Pretty much all of them upgraded to recliners when they added in reserved seating.  If they kept the theater capacities at the same they were and didn't add in recliners, then yes I would have much less of a problem with it.

Edited by That Ambitious Guy

18 minutes ago, That Ambitious Guy said:

9 minutes ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

My AMC has shitty capacity, yet that's not often an issue. Getting seats a couple of hours in advance is still easy.

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I'm just about to leave for avengers. Without reserved seating I probably would've had to have left like an hour ago.

This is the main reason I like reserved seating. I can just show up 10 minutes before showtime and not worry at all about long box office lines or a busy theater. I've shared this story before, but when I saw Three Billboards on the first Friday it expanded at a non-reserved theater, I barely managed to get a good seat with more than 20 minutes until showtime. It was in an auditorium with over 200 seats too. Shit like that is where reserved seating rocks because I don't have to stare at ads and/or a blank screen.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

My AMC has shitty capacity, yet that's not often an issue. Getting seats a couple of hours in advance is still easy.

Yeah but like you live in the shitty part of Florida with a bunch of seniors who probably have no idea how to use online ticketing

• ...wtf 1