Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

32 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

lmao

The business model of CNN+ was misguided from the start when they didn't have a live stream section. No one wants news capsules and interviews pre-recorded.

If Jeff Zucker was not already fired, he would have been now. News, but recorded, feels like a very niche market. Anyway, it will likely be absorbed into HBO Max and Discovery+ to create a mega streamer

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

CNN+ always seemed like a dumb idea that was doomed to fail. Didn't think they would die this fast though.

If the old regime was in place it would have limped out a year or so at least. Zaslav and Co wouldn't have launched it if the merger was a month earlier.

It's crazy that they didn't launch a streaming version of CNN, it was just "More CNN but no live streaming". Feels like they never got a good value proposition. The shows on CNN+ were on HBO Max before they pulled them and will likely just go back there.

I have to say though, the combined HBO Max, Discovery+ and CNN+ will be a mega streamer, especially if they get into live sports as well

The winners (aka The Who Paid the Most Awards) for this year's CinemaCon:

Cinema Verité Award: Robert De Niro

Comedy Star of the Year: Billy Eichner

Star of Tomorrow: Glenn Powell (he was supposed to win the award two years when Top Gun was originally gonna come out)

Star of the Year: Zoe Saldana

Rising Star of 2022: Abby Ryder Fortson (the daughter from the first two Ant-Man movies for Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret)

20 hours ago, grim22 said:

If the old regime was in place it would have limped out a year or so at least. Zaslav and Co wouldn't have launched it if the merger was a month earlier.

It's crazy that they didn't launch a streaming version of CNN, it was just "More CNN but no live streaming". Feels like they never got a good value proposition. The shows on CNN+ were on HBO Max before they pulled them and will likely just go back there.

I have to say though, the combined HBO Max, Discovery+ and CNN+ will be a mega streamer, especially if they get into live sports as well

Not a good week for Warners, with Dumbledore and CNN+ failing, and the Ezra  Miller scandle creating big problems for their biggest franchise.

On 4/18/2022 at 7:16 PM, tawasal said:

I have been having dreams of Emily Beecham once in a while ever since I saw it long ago and love Ally Io (something)'s eyebrows too.  

I just finished it, I'm surprised at how much I liked it overall.  Season 3 while enjoyable enough does get a little cheesy...and it  suffered from what I felt like was rushed writing with some of the character motivations.  It also suffers from a lack of Marton Csokas who is just so good at playing colorful villains.  I agree Emily Beecham is definitely a standout, I don't think I've seen her in anything else.

I liked Season 1 the best because it kinda felt the most like Game of Thrones in a post-apocalyptic future.  With some modest adjustments in plot and character directions and a bigger budget this could have been one of the true great shows out there.

Under the Banner of Heaven (the new Andrew Garfield Hulu limited series from Dustin Lance Black) is getting raves so far. The Limited Series category at the Emmys this year is looking to be a blood bath, with Hulu seemingly providing a majority of the contenders. Both Dopesick and The Dropout were really good and would make for worthy winners if they did.

It's too bad that Beanie Feldstein's post-Booksmart projects haven't been all that great between Impeachment being mediocre and now this Funny Girl revival getting lousy reviews. Just remembered she's also making Linklater's 20-years-in-the-making-literally version of Merrily We Roll Along opposite Ben Platt, who just completed his own "the role that made him a star ended up killing his leading man career" arc. Not too late to abort that project, Richard!

Edited by filmlover

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's too bad that Beanie Feldstein's post-Booksmart projects haven't been all that great between Impeachment being mediocre and now this Funny Girl revival getting lousy reviews. Just remembered she's also making Linklater's 20-years-in-the-making-literally version of Merrily We Roll Along opposite Ben Platt, who just completed his own "the role that made him a star ended up killing his leading man career" arc. Not too late to abort that project, Richard!

That 20 years thing just feels like a bad idea. Whatever happened to just casting different people to play the leads at different points in their life?

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That 20 years thing just feels like a bad idea. Whatever happened to just casting different people to play the leads at different points in their life?

Clearly he thought the 12 year shoot of Boyhood wasn't challenging enough and decided to up the ante. Though banking on Ben Platt still being relevant in 20 years feels like a colossal mistake. At least Hawke and Arquette had already established themselves as strong actors before shooting their first scenes in Boyhood back in 2002 (and maintained active careers throughout its shoot).