Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The best response to this:

After all the jokes about it, I think Gisele and Pete would avoid that even if they crossed paths and actually liked each other. But I feel like she'll bring real "revenge" energy with whomever she dates next.

The TMZ reporter must be embedded at the courthouse:

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

34 minutes ago, grim22 said:

When these accounts find out there's no such thing and that people just found them annoying and blocked them, they will still continue saying that shit.

I’m pretty sure they already know this argument is bullshit, but the “victim” narrative sells to their audience. What they really seek is to not be bound by social norms, lines of acceptable/tolerable behavior, go as full asshole as possible and not face any consequences for it 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

When these accounts find out there's no such thing and that people just found them annoying and blocked them, they will still continue saying that shit.

Shadowbanning by apps is designed on purpose is to make users they dont want on their apps become bored and leave.

The issue is apps say they dont do this, but i have hard time believing they dont as its such a powerful tool.

Like yeah some creators  go down in views due to bad content, but it cant exmplain losing 80-99% of user interactions overnight. 

I think the issue about shadowbanning is just needs to be clear if apps do it or not. I am not against apps shadowbanning in general. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2022/04/social-media-shadowbans-tiktok-twitter/629702/

It creates a lot of lack of trust in moderation in general. 

Tik tok says they dont shadowbanned but my friend had videos go from having 100k views to 5 lol  The only why that can happen is a shadowban. 

Edited by Torontofan

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Saw this yesterday and seems appropriate:

very long thread from someone who used to run Reddit back in the day.  I don't agree with everything in the v long thread, but the insights about how utterly impossible content moderation is on a platform like Twitter 100% ring true.  Not nearly the same thing, but speaking as someone who has been an Admin on another board w/a pretty healthy user base size almost every comment he made about content moderation made me go "Yep" and "Uh huh" and "pretty much".

If I want to be more precise, moderating something like Twitter isn't impossible.  Moderating something like Twitter so that it is consistently moderated and the all of the EXTREMELY LOUD VOICES that make up the user base are content with the moderation?  Utterly impossible.  Like, literally impossible.  Twitter is far too big with far too diverse of a user base to ever have the content moderation that Elon Musk seems to want.

To put this a more succinct way:

(quoted mostly for the headline and not the actual article) 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

Shadowbanning by apps is designed on purpose is to make users they dont want on their apps become bored and leave.

The issue is apps say they dont do this, but i have hard time believing they dont as its such a powerful tool.

Like yeah some creators  go down in views due to bad content, but it cant exmplain losing 80-99% of user interactions overnight. 

I think the issue about shadowbanning is just needs to be clear if apps do it or not. I am not against apps shadowbanning in general. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2022/04/social-media-shadowbans-tiktok-twitter/629702/

It creates a lot of lack of trust in moderation in general. 

Tik tok says they dont shadowbanned but my friend had videos go from having 100k views to 5 lol  The only why that can happen is a shadowban. 

Or your friend had a tiktok go viral, and then nobody actually cared about the rest of their videos.

36 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Saw this yesterday and seems appropriate:

very long thread from someone who used to run Reddit back in the day.  I don't agree with everything in the v long thread, but the insights about how utterly impossible content moderation is on a platform like Twitter 100% ring true.  Not nearly the same thing, but speaking as someone who has been an Admin on another board w/a pretty healthy user base size almost every comment he made about content moderation made me go "Yep" and "Uh huh" and "pretty much".

If I want to be more precise, moderating something like Twitter isn't impossible.  Moderating something like Twitter so that it is consistently moderated and the all of the EXTREMELY LOUD VOICES that make up the user base are content with the moderation?  Utterly impossible.  Like, literally impossible.  Twitter is far too big with far too diverse of a user base to ever have the content moderation that Elon Musk seems to want.

To put this a more succinct way:

(quoted mostly for the headline and not the actual article) 

Its a impossibile Battle

You have to moderate or it turns into a horrid hellscape

Over moderation leads to rules not being applied evenly, lack of trust and users leaving the platform for others.

6 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Or your friend had a tiktok go viral, and then nobody actually cared about the rest of their videos.

Thats not how it works though...

If you have crap content you go from 100k to 5k or 10k not to 5 

Its impossibile as she had thousands of followers and had steady views of tens of thousands of views each  video. 

My point is, the evidence to me suggests shadowbanning is a real thing. 

Edited by Torontofan

3 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Thats not how it works though...

If you have crap content you go from 100k to 5k or 10k not to 5 

Its impossibile as she had thousands of followers and had steady views of tens of thousands of views each  video. 

It's not impossible as I ignore many peoples posts on here who have thousands of posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

It's not impossible as I ignore many peoples posts on here who have thousands of posts.

but  99% of people wont ignore such a user within a day.

Lets not be pedantic here XD 

Its impossibile for any person on social media to have their established reach drop by 99% with in a day without a ban or shadowban.

You can look at very toxic social media channels (that not been shadowbanned) and they have a more gradual reduction in views and reach and it takes usually a while (like Buzzfeed youtube).

Edited by Torontofan

Maybe this belongs more in the poloitics section, but the attack on Paul Pelosi scares the hell  out of me. And what is more scary is that no  doubt some mainstream politicans will  make excuses for it, something even ten years ago would have benn unbeleivable.

I now think Civil War 2 is on it's way for the USA.

20 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Its impossibile for any person on social media to have their established reach drop by 99% with in a day without a ban or shadowban.

You can look at very toxic social media channels (that not been shadowbanned) and they have a more gradual reduction in views and reach and it takes usually a while (like Buzzfeed youtube).

In the end the only answer is to just be aware that a great deal of what is said in social media is sheer bullshit. Never forget that any idiot can put up a website or get a Twitter account and  every idiot does.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

In the end the only answer is to just be aware that a great deal of what is said in social media is sheer bullshit. Never forget that any idiot can put up a website or get a Twitter account and  every idiot does.

I am saying that people keep saying shadowbanning dont exisit, when it does exisit on many other apps lol

ALready stories about Racist and Anti Semitic tweets flooding Twitter.

Musk is going to destroy what is left of his public reputation except for the hard core fanboys. I think the "Real Life Tony Stark" image is dead. The past year has brought out the dark side. of Musk, no doubt.Oh, he will still have his fanboys, but they will be a lot fewer in number.

I think that Time Man Of The Year award was his undoing. It sent his ego into overdrive.

I think in many way, desptie his being pretty smart at times, he has never really grown up. He still acts a 16 year old acting on pure implulse without thinking about the consequences of what he does. This never ends well.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, Torontofan said:

If I may ask, why do you/they think they were shadow banned? Like, for what reason would that have happened?