Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

This God of War game is fucking amazing. Best story I've seen in a game too. 

Edit: I take it back. This has the most abrupt video game ending since Metal Gear Solid 5. The game doesn't end, it just stops. I wonder if something happened behind the scenes.

Edited by AJG

4 minutes ago, DAR said:

I think that sums up the forum last night.  Thankfully we have a comic book movie opening which should calm people down 

That's usually not how it works though. :lol: Should we start placing bets as to who gets banned from the weekend thread?

It also looks curiously low on potential indie breakouts too. There's plenty I'm interested in seeing (Sorry to Bother You, Eighth Grade, Blindspotting) but I'm not expecting any of them to come even remotely close to the $40M+ The Big Sick made last summer.

11 hours ago, Porthos said:

*idly checks MLB standings*

*notices something*

*goes down rabbit hole*

JFC, there are some terribad teams this year.  It's early, but there might be a chance at four 120 loss teams this year! :o

That's...  That's NB fucking A level of terribad.  I knew that the Reds were vomiting all over themselves and I suspected the Marlins would be bad.  But sakes alive are the White Sox and Royals awful.

I really don't know if it is really possible to have four 120 loss teams in baseball, but we might find out.

Nah, losing 120 is just as hard as wining 120.  Only happened once ever as far as I can tell.

Just one of the many things I love about baseball.  Earlier last night I messaged @MrPink and told him that the comedown the Red Sox have is gonna be something, because they've been TOO good.  And, well, lol.

4 minutes ago, DAR said:

There hasn’t been a true indie breakout over the summer in years it feels.  I’m talking more 100 million 

The last one that really qualifies is My Big Fat Greek Wedding (which opened two weeks before the summer movie season officially began). Studios have tended to hold on to their bigger/more important indie titles for awards season for a while now.

Edit: And Fahrenheit 9/11 but that was obviously driven entirely by controversy.

Edited by filmlover

12 hours ago, Porthos said:

*idly checks MLB standings*

*notices something*

*goes down rabbit hole*

JFC, there are some terribad teams this year.  It's early, but there might be a chance at four 120 loss teams this year! :o

That's...  That's NB fucking A level of terribad.  I knew that the Reds were vomiting all over themselves and I suspected the Marlins would be bad.  But sakes alive are the White Sox and Royals awful.

I really don't know if it is really possible to have four 120 loss teams in baseball, but we might find out.

Like you said, it's early. The Reds and Marlins will be dumpster fires all season, no doubt, but I don't see them hitting 120 losses. To put it into perspective, the 2003 Tigers - who lost 119 - were 3-21 by the end of April. I guess the Reds could still hit that mark - they're 3-17 right now - but I'm sure they'll have some sort of run that will even them out and put them on track to "only" lose somewhere in the 100-110 vicinity.

That being said, I won't be surprised if we see the 1962 Mets' all-time 120-loss record challenged in the next few years. The Astros just won a World Series after a years-long complete strip-down of all Major League talent not named Jose Altuve that included three consecutive 100+ loss seasons. (Even the aforementioned Tigers were back in the World Series three years after their brush with infamy.) If a team commits to sucking epically to rebuild the farm system and has a couple really good teams in their division that can feast on them, that long-standing record could be in jeopardy.

So watch the Mariners do it in the early 2020s and then still not even sniff the playoffs when their "rebuild" is complete a few years later. ;)

not a bad weekend so far.  Went to the shooting range yesterday and that went well, right afterwards went to my friend's place which was up the road for a bbq and today already washed my car that needed it for a long time.  

Hopefully the rest of the day keeps going well

• Like 2