Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Too much reliance on shock value, not enough laughs.

I can definitely see why someone wouldn't like it. And yeah SBC generally relies a lot on that.

Another reason I think people didn't like it (especially LGBT groups) was that it was trying to do two things: satirize fashion/modeling culture and also trying to make statements on homophobia. The problem with this is that, well, Brüno is an idiot. GLADD was unhappy about his poor parenting bc they believed it would send the message that gays are bad parents. And since SBC does shock value and enjoys trolling he'd have Brüno doing the stupidest shit with the baby. His bad parenting wasn't bc he was gay but bc he's stupid. But since the film was trying to make statements on being gay the lines got blurry. 

Although I could be wrong.

Not to mention the hotel scene where he and his lover were caught doing shit that would disgust the gayest of the gay. It was pretty funny to me though.

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

I can definitely see why someone wouldn't like it. And yeah SBC generally relies a lot on that.

Another reason I think people didn't like it (especially LGBT groups) was that it was trying to do two things: satirize fashion/modeling culture and also trying to make statements on homophobia. The problem with this is that, well, Brüno is an asshole. GLADD was unhappy about his poor parenting bc they believed it would send the message that gays are bad parents. And since SBC does shock value and enjoys trolling he'd have Brüno doing the stupidest shit with the baby. His bad parenting wasn't bc he was gay but bc he's stupid. But since the film was trying to make statements on being gay the lines got blurry.

Not to mention the hotel scene where he and his lover were caught doing shit that would disgust the gayest of the gay. It was pretty funny to me though.

The stereotypes it depicts have certainly aged very poorly in the near decade since it was released with the much better representation for LBGT folks we've seen over the years. But mostly the film flopped because it was just predictable and lazy. Like of course a crowd of rednecks is gonna react in disgust when they get a gay sex show and not a wrestling match. Borat was definitely much funnier.

• Like 1

Bruno had its moments. Not gonna lie: it was pretty funny over opening weekend - before word got out about what was actually in the movie - to see all the frat boys who over-quoted Borat show up expecting more of the same, only to then get, well, BRUNO.

The camping scene is still pretty damn funny, though: "We are SO like ze Sex and ze City girls. Which one are you, Donnie?" "I ain't none of 'em; I'm Donnie." (Pause) "Zat is SUCH a Samantha thing to say!"

• Haha 1

sacha baron cohen hasn't been in a movie since that alice in wonderland sequel nobody watched two years ago. i still remember when everybody was fucking obsessed with Borat but he's kinda underrated now honestly. kinda like how the austin powers movies are lowkey underrated now because everyone got so sick of austin powers impressions.

• Like 1

do people remember how close to a Best Actor oscar nomination SBC got for Borat? i remember it was a thing people were genuinely predicting he won a bunch of critics awards and everything. really felt like he was #6 that year.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

do people remember how close to a Best Actor oscar nomination SBC got for Borat? i remember it was a thing people were genuinely predicting he won a bunch of critics awards and everything. really felt like he was #6 that year.

I would’ve loved to see naked wrestling be his Oscar clip

Because of not seeing Borat my first sighting of Baron Cohen in action was in Sweeney Todd which he totally stole from everyone. Talk about making an impression. Still wish he got to play Mercury in a proper R-rated biopic, obviously I'm glad he's nowhere near the current one but it was still a missed opportunity.

• Community Manager
4 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

@Porthos @Arlborn @Deep Wang @Water Bottle

In any event one of the things that is pretty cool in Pillars 2 is that the world map is interactive this time around. You actually move around your party on the world map screen with fog of war and everything and uncover locations/random encounters to explore in-between the actual major locations on the various islands. Should be a pretty cool feature.

Stop getting my hyped. I probably won't play until TV season is over. GRRR!!!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Gotta get that Perfect World State Save to port into Deadfire. RebWGyw.png

He could always just use one of the 6 pre-generated world states included in PoE II, or do the Choose-Your-Own Adventure mechanic in PoE II to build a world-state from scratch.

I was going to get my lawnmower and patio table from the shed.  And I look in the corner and see two baby racoons. I got what  I needed  and shut the door pretty fast.  I figured mom was nearby and I ain’t fucking with that.