Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

There has to be some name for this but here goes.   So I'm likely going to be buying a new car this summer.   One day I'll think that I might want to buy an Honda CRV, so on the road I see almost nothing but CRV's.   Another day it will be a Nissan Rogue, that will seemingly be the only car I see.   I'm not if my brain is consciously looking for those types of vehicles or if they've always been there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

There has to be some name for this but here goes.   So I'm likely going to be buying a new car this summer.   One day I'll think that I might want to buy an Honda CRV, so on the road I see almost nothing but CRV's.   Another day it will be a Nissan Rogue, that will seemingly be the only car I see.   I'm not if my brain is consciously looking for those types of vehicles or if they've always been there.

Confirmation Bias, more accurately "Frequency Illusion": https://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/06/23/confirmation-bias/

Have you ever had a conversation in which some old movie was mentioned, something like “The Golden Child” or maybe even something more obscure?

You laughed about it, quoted lines from it, wondered what happened to the actors you never saw again, and then you forgot about it. Until…

You are flipping channels one night and all of the sudden you see “The Golden Child” is playing. Weird. The next day you are reading a news story, and out of nowhere it mentions forgotten movies from the 1980s, and holy shit, three paragraphs about “The Golden Child.” You see a trailer that night at the theater for a new Eddie Murphy movie, and then you see a billboard on the street promoting Charlie Murphy doing stand-up in town, and then one of your friends sends you a link to a post at TMZ showing recent photos of the actress  from “The Golden Child.”

What is happening here? Is the universe trying to tell you something? No. This is called the frequency illusion.

Since the party and the conversation where you and your friends took turns saying “I-ah-I-ah-I want the kniiiife” you’ve flipped channels plenty of times; you’ve walked past lots of billboards; you’ve seen dozens of stories about celebrities; you’ve been exposed to a handful of movie trailers. The thing is, you disregarded all the other information, all the stuff  unrelated to “The Golden Child.” Out of all the chaos, all the morsels of data, you only noticed the bits which called back to something sitting on top of your brain. A few weeks back, when Eddie Murphy and his Tibetan adventure were still submerged beneath a heap of pop-culture at the bottom of your skull, you wouldn’t have paid any special attention to references to it.

If you are thinking about buying a new car, you suddenly see people driving them all over the roads.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAR said:

tumblr_p932phUHTw1qkvbwso1_500.png

But grim was closer to it tbh

• Like 1

That woods episode of Atlanta was scary as FUCK :ohmygod: 

50 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

@CJohn Does 9-1-1 get better? I just saw the pilot and it's very stupid at many points. Like the cop has no partner so she goes barging into a break-in situation by herself. 

Just embrace the show’s B-level quality and enjoy the ride

Someone give my tablet suggestions. My iPad from 4 years ago is on the verge of breaking down. IDK if I should stick with Apple or go with an Android like my phone; the whole battery tampering thing has kind of turned me off from Apple.

• Community Manager
6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Just embrace the show’s B-level quality and enjoy the ride

Checked out For the People. That pilot had a young lawyer on the first day of his job persecute a terrorism case. I'm not sure which pilot was less realistic.

• Haha 1

Just now, Water Bottle said:

Checked out For the People. That pilot had a young lawyer on the first day of his job persecute a terrorism case. I'm not sure which pilot was less realistic.

I...I need to watch this show now. 

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Did the rest of the law firm get killed in the terrorist attack? That's the only way that makes sense :thinking: 

My sister and I took our mom to see Book Club tonight (yay those Senior Monday discounts) and she really enjoyed it a lot. So if you wanna spend time for your mom, fellas, that's one of the better ways to kill two hours doing so.