Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'm worried that we're gonna have to assemble a prayer circle that it doesn't get tossed onto a streaming service once the Disney sale is complete. @aabattery and @CoolioD1 start assembling everybody.

it's fine. i'm down with new media. i don't need it beating avatar i'll settle for it beating... bird box? is that the benchmark for streaming stuff now? lordy i can't wait for real movies to come along.

50 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Does anyone think a movie like Titanic will ever happen again? Like, some out-of-nowhere blockbuster (I guess I shouldn't say out of nowhere as Cameron was a huge name then anyways plus the production was very publicized) but I mean not based on some pre-existing property blah blah that makes HUGE money, sweeps the Oscars, and cements itself in pop culture for pretty much every day since?

Studios have to bother to actually make these kinds of movies, and all indications are they don’t have much interest in doing so any more.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Studios have to bother to actually make these kinds of movies, and all indications are they don’t have much interest in doing so any more.

Not really :

which comes first, the chicken or the eggs ?

42 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm worried that we're gonna have to assemble a prayer circle that it doesn't get tossed onto a streaming service once the Disney sale is complete. @aabattery and @CoolioD1 start assembling everybody.

To quote Optimus Prime: "We are here. We are waiting."

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Does anyone think a movie like Titanic will ever happen again? Like, some out-of-nowhere blockbuster (I guess I shouldn't say out of nowhere as Cameron was a huge name then anyways plus the production was very publicized) but I mean not based on some pre-existing property blah blah that makes HUGE money, sweeps the Oscars, and cements itself in pop culture for pretty much every day since?

I guess the closest thing would be if one of Christopher Nolan's original films ever breaks out like that. Other than that, as said above, most studios are not making the kind of mega-budget original films like that any more. Sure a few times a year we get original tentpole films but they're never on the same level.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I just watched the first episode of I Am the Night and gotta say it's pretty mediocre. Even with only six episodes and my undying loyalty to Mr. Pine, I can't generate any real interest to continue.

My love is greater than yours it seems. Gonna go all the way for coked up Pine

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Ugh, Cameron's gotta stop making Avatar sequels and make another Titanic :P Or Nolan needs to make a 4-quadrant film (I don't count TDK as 4-quadrant)

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

I guess the closest thing would be if one of Christopher Nolan's original films ever breaks out like that. Other than that, as said above, most studios are not making the kind of mega-budget original films like that any more. Sure a few times a year we get original tentpole films but they're never on the same level.

Doesn't have to be high budget. Even something like Forrest Gump we don't see anymore. 

Jordan Peele seems like an underrated candidate for a Titanic-esque original blockbuster. Interviews make him seem very keen on making original content, while Get Out was a total crowdpleaser. If Us replicates the same success, he’ll probably pitch a bigly original project. That project can very well be the breakout original blockbuster DAJK wants

30 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Ugh, Cameron's gotta stop making Avatar sequels and make another Titanic :P Or Nolan needs to make a 4-quadrant film (I don't count TDK as 4-quadrant)

Doesn't have to be high budget. Even something like Forrest Gump we don't see anymore. 

Yeah it would never happen with a Nolan film, but he's the closest thing to JC in terms of being able to greenlight a massive megabudget original idea and have the craft and care/skill applied to it.

If you're just talking immensively successful original movies in general... guess those days are just over. Gump adjust to what 500 or 600 M i think.

There's really nothing like that any more. Over the past few years I guess the closest to that kind of film is like frozen and just typing that makes me feel sick.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

My roommate is high right now (I think... he just smoked a lot of weed) and is in the next room singing Queen completely off-key and LOUD.

I've never hated Bohemian Rhapsody more than I do right now. 

I'm pretty sure I'm that annoying guy to my roommates. Every Queen song is so damn catchy. 

• Haha 1