Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I just watched the live stream from the other night of that new Epcot nighttime show that just replaced Illuminations after a 20 year run (and will be replaced by another night show in 2020). They sure are embracing the whole "we're making this park more recognizably Disney" angle huh.

I haven't watched it yet.  But I'd like to since old Epcot music is some of my favorite.

7 minutes ago, DAR said:

Quibi?

Katzenberg's streaming service.

Unlike other streaming video platforms like Netflix and Hulu, Quibi's content is made specifically to be only viewed on mobile devices and can be viewed in either horizontal or vertical video, with the user able to shift to one or the other within the same video. Instead of typical half-hour TV episodes or two-hour movies, content on Quibi will be delivered in episode chapters of 10 minutes or less

Will it survive the streaming wars? We shall see.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Katzenberg's streaming service.

Will it survive the streaming wars? We shall see.

I saw there was going to be a streaming service for This Old House.   Finally a streaming service for your dad.

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

He should have taken a longer look at the mirror in that scene that made him famous.

I am talking to you Robert.

Decency.

It s a thing.

Try it sometimes.

Don't worry, it is harmless.

Edited by The Futurist

5 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

@Porthos One of my low-key fave things to do is read Grant Brisbee writing about the Dodgers. (Case in point, his “Three Things” piece about NLDS Game 1 in The Athletic.)

Hadn't read it yet (wasn't on the MLB Front Page when I just checked).

Yep.  Sounds like classic Brisbee.  Thanks for letting me know about it.

===

He ain't wrong about  Buehler - or all of the other super young talent, BTW.  So unfair.  By year six or seven of division winning one is supposed to be on the downswing of the win curve, not ramping up to even more domination.

(Mind you, the Gigantes farm system is actually, finally, on its own major upswing so I ain't that upset)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Hadn't read it yet (wasn't on the MLB Front Page when I just checked).

Yep.  Sounds like classic Brisbee.  Thanks for letting me know about it.

===

He ain't wrong about  Buehler - or all of the other super young talent, BTW.  So unfair.  By year six or seven of division winning one is supposed to be on the downswing of the win curve, not ramping up to even more domination.

(Mind you, the Gigantes farm system is actually, finally, on its own major upswing so I ain't that upset)

Y’all got Farhan Zaidi. I love that guy, he knows what he’s doing. 

10 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Y’all got Farhan Zaidi. I love that guy, he knows what he’s doing. 

22 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Part of the reason I ain't that upset. :)

===

Though, separately, I do think something needs to be done about this whole emergence of Super Teams and Bottom Feeders.  Ain't healthy for the league.  Not one bit. Even if my Astros are one of the Super Teams, I just don't like it.

Problem is, I'm not quite sure how to solve it in the next CBA.  I think getting rid of draft pick penalties for going over the luxury tax will help.  Shortening the arb-window another (like that'll ever happen).  

Probably the most radical thing would be to expand the WCS to best of three so it actually feels like something to shoot for for the middle class teams.

I doubt any of these things will happen though.  Maybe the luxury tax one.  Could also see maybe trading draft picks helping as well as re-establishing draft pick protection for the bottom ten teams who sign a draft pick compensated player.

Actually, come to think of it, getting rid of penalties for signing draft pick compensated players altogether needs to happen and needs to happen yesterday.  I don't mind teams getting "free" draft picks for losing players to FA.  But do it like the NFL does it where it's an extra thing based on a formula (IIRC) and not also a penalty.

That might actually have a chance of happening, come to think of it.  Gives a slight boost to aging players and I can't see teams getting all that upset about no longer having to factor in loss of draft picks when it comes to player signing.

Aside from all that, I don't have much. But I do think it needs to be looked at before it gets to crisis levels.

• Like 1