Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

appleTV+ sounds like they really, really wanted to be the next HBO but thought that high production values was the only thing they needed instead of actual quality content. HBO Max just sounds like HBO on steroids, so I think that'll do fine. Disney+ is something else entirely; they're not doing "prestige TV" so much as 6 hour long Marvel and Star Wars films. On the one hand it's pretty much entirely dependent on the strength of those IPs, so they're not spreading their risk by diversifying, but I guess when those IPs are Star Wars and Marvel they might not need to yet.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

appleTV+ sounds like they really, really wanted to be the next HBO but thought that high production values was the only thing they needed instead of actual quality content. HBO Max just sounds like HBO on steroids, so I think that'll do fine. Disney+ is something else entirely; they're not doing "prestige TV" so much as 6 hour long Marvel and Star Wars films. On the one hand it's pretty much entirely dependent on the strength of those IPs, so they're not spreading their risk by diversifying, but I guess when those IPs are Star Wars and Marvel they might not need to yet.

And Disney nostalgia what with a Lizzie McGuire reboot on the way and a new High School Musical reboot premiering soon lol. Their other new stuff is mainly aimed at younger kids but they're at least diversifying it up with stuff like that Gina Rodriguez show and the Love, Simon show (still impressed that's the first acquired Fox property they dived into right away).

6 minutes ago, Eric Connor said:

Not to be that guy but "we want people to discover the twists for themselves" sounds pretty...shaky

Not expecting much from these corporate-mandated "franchise" TV shows. This isn't how television has worked for decades, so Disney (and Amazon for LOTR) will have to be very lucky for those to immediately work.

Disney+ has been the most hyped about but in my opinion HBO Max is the one new streaming service that has the potential to be a real competitor to Netflix. Warner Bros has a lot of experience in making premium and diverse television content, not to mention they have an incredible library. It will depend on how much they're willing to invest in it.

Disney is not exactly known for quality television content, and their brands aren't as failure proof as people think (see: Solo, Inhumans and Dumbo). I'll believe the hype when I see their original content with my own eyes. Their library will probably secure a successful number of subscribers, though.

• Like 3

HBO Max seems too expensive and Disney+ will live or die on original content but lack of adult content can be a double edged sword. Either way shelf life for non Netflix/Hulu streaming will be very short, say 5 years.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

1 hour ago, Eric Connor said:

I guess today's going to be a streaming-focused day in the news, as I just saw this:

Not to be that guy but "we want people to discover the twists for themselves" sounds pretty...shaky

I don’t think anyone was expecting this to be on the level of Breaking Bad or The Wire, but as long as the production values are killer then the novelty of a 6 hour big budget Star Wars movie on streaming will be enough for most people I think.

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Laughing at the 4 big budget shows launching Apple TV+ being trashed by the reviewers.

For All Mankind is getting alright reviews. And Dickinson's getting good notices for Steinfeld even if the show itself is more mixed. But the other two yeah. Looks like it's back to nonstarters for Momoa outside of Aquaman.

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Laughing at the 4 big budget shows launching Apple TV+ being trashed by the reviewers.

We need all the Disney+ and HBO Max shows to get panned next too

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Looks like it's back to nonstarters for Momoa outside of Aquaman

Dune babyyyyy

Edited by TMP

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Dune babyyyyy

lol I had forgotten he's in that. But it's a supporting role, unlike these projects.

That Henry Cavill Netflix fantasy show is probably gonna be a no1curr too. All these funny book guys finding themselves on Game of Thrones wannabes. Ah well. If we survived that period a decade ago when everyone was looking for the next Lost as it was ending and didn't find it (remember Flash Forward? Or The Event? Or V?), we can survive the failed quest to find the next Game of Thrones.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That Henry Cavill Netflix fantasy show is probably gonna be a no1curr too. All these funny book guys finding themselves on Game of Thrones wannabes. Ah well. If we survived that period a decade ago when everyone was looking for the next Lost as it was ending and didn't find it (remember Flash Forward? Or The Event? Or V?), we can survive the failed quest to find the next Game of Thrones.

Joaquin Phoenix's Narnia next.

Also we'll see how it goes, isn't Witcher meant to be a big IP? The trailer was quite bad so I'm not expecting something great

edit: James McAvoy's been in 3 different funny book franchises and his Golden Compass show is apparently good, so maybe there is some hope 

Edited by TMP

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

Amazon paying $250 million for the right to make a LOTR TV show is still insane, it makes the Apple series look cash-strapped.

No wonder why some of Box Office Mojo's features are behind a paywall now

• Haha 2