Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, Eric Lightfoot said:

I'm like a year older than you, and I haven't heard anyone talk about Hunger Games in ages. I've seen a whisper of Twilight here and there, but not Hunger Games

Damn I'm actually surprised (on both accounts) but I definitely hear more mention of Hunger Games than Twilight for sure

I wouldn't be surprised if Frozen 2 ends up on these types of list. The first was a pop culture phenomenon. The second one came and went with a quick 1.5 billion dollars. 

In all honesty, The Greatest Showman is already more/better remembered than Frozen 2, and the latter isn't even 6 months old. 

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Frozen 2 ends up on these types of list. The first was a pop culture phenomenon. The second one came and went with a quick 1.5 billion dollars. 

In all honesty, The Greatest Showman is already more/better remembered than Frozen 2, and the latter isn't even 6 months old. 

I said this in the VOD thread last week but whenever the inevitable sequel to The Greatest Showman gets made in a few years (bringing Jackman/Williams/Efron/Zendaya all back plus adding some big names to join the fun) it's gonna be massive. $250M+ domestic at least.

• Like 1

Zootopia also feels one that weirdly came and went nowadays. Grossed way more than Moana in the same year, but it feels like the latter is way more popular nowadays. Then again, Moana's in the Disney Princess canon, and I guess 5-year old girls who love princesses are a bigger demographic than furries.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I said this in the VOD thread last week but whenever the inevitable sequel to The Greatest Showman gets made in a few years (bringing Jackman/Williams/Efron/Zendaya all back plus adding some big names to join the fun) it's gonna be massive. $250M+ domestic at least.

Agreed. Honestly it has to be one of the top-remembered movies from that year (along with Last Jedi, and maybe Wonder Woman or Coco). 

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i'm wondering if the hobbit movies count or if their connnection to lord of the rings is enough to save them? probably not.

Nah imo. Funny enough the Star Wars prequels have definitely avoided being considered. 

1 minute ago, Eric Lightfoot said:

Zootopia also feels one that weirdly came and went nowadays. Grossed way more than Moana in the same year, but it feels like the latter is way more popular nowadays. Then again, Moana's in the Disney Princess canon, and I guess 5-year old girls who love princesses are a bigger demographic than furries.

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Honestly I think you're in the wrong age bracket demographic. Among 16-23 year olds furries today everyone remembers it, and there's constant references to it. Yea, it's basically "Divergent the secret life of pets on steroids" at this point, but it's still pretty huge. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Of course the Grand Poobah of "big hits that left no cultural impact" is definitely Secret Life of Pets. It made almost 900M, but I don't think a soul has ever talked about that movie once 2017 rolled around.

Even Alice in Wonderland has the other Disney remakes to still keep it fresh-ish in people's minds.

21 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Honestly I think you're in the wrong age bracket. Among 16-23 year olds today everyone remembers it, and there's constant references to it. Yea, it's basically "Divergent on steroids" at this point, but it's still pretty huge. Last 2 films really did fizzle out though. Franchise peaked with Catching Fire.

Y'all weren't in middle school for the first 2 movies. That shit was EVERYWHERE. 

17 minutes ago, Eric Lightfoot said:

I'm like a year older than you, and I haven't heard anyone talk about Hunger Games in ages. I've seen a whisper of Twilight here and there, but not Hunger Games

Maybe it’s just a strange BC thing. 

• Astonished 1

I just checked to see if Empire was still going. It is. 

Edit:Actually, I first searched “Fox TV Shows” because I had a mental block trying to remember the name of the show. 

40 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I just checked to see if Empire was still going. It is. 

Edit:Actually, I first searched “Fox TV Shows” because I had a mental block trying to remember the name of the show. 

It was supposed to be ending this season but production on the final episodes was halted because of the pandemic. At least Taraji will finally be able to move on to other projects whenever they air.

59 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It was supposed to be ending this season but production on the final episodes was halted because of the pandemic. At least Taraji will finally be able to move on to other projects whenever they air.

That first season was huge. 

Last episode of the first season:17.62m

First episode of the 6th season:3.31m

I think cause we are inundated with so much more media and with people's shorter attention spans it's getting harder and harder to stand out and to leave a lasting impression.

Just with franchises alone I keep harping about the lack of new major franchises in the last 5 or so years. 

14 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

That first season was huge. 

Last episode of the first season:17.62m

First episode of the 6th season:3.31m

TV watching patterns have changed in the last couple of years but audiences abandoned it for the same reason Glee tumbled: consistently poor quality.

Musical or music industry-based shows seem incapable of living up to their early promise, it seems. Smash was arguably one of the most hyped shows of the 2011-2012 season and became the poster child for "hate-watching" by the fourth episode (and ended up being banished to Saturdays a few episodes into its second and final season).

For the past week I've been trying to watch one new movie a night, catch up on some older movies I've missed out on either cause I wasn't born or was too young when they were released. (I'm about to show my age here, my "you ever see that really old movie Empire Strikes Back" moment).

Collateral is fucking awesome. Was disappointed with the ending at first, but there was something about it that kept pulling at my brain about why I liked it. Funny enough, it was the comment section of a youtube video analysis that sorta confirmed it for me. Other problem was that the TV in the apartment is this weird high frame rate tv and I hate HFR... plus I had my laptop hooked up through an HDMI so it makes the HFR jumpy and weird. Sorta ruined the nightclub scene. 

• Like 1