Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

22 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Due to splitting the final book, it didn't even get a triumphant sendoff. Lionsgate mismanaged it almost as much as possible, they reserved maximum mismanagement for Divergent.

Divergent was insane. At least FOX was smart with Maze Runner. 

• Like 1

Was just looking on Deadline about the shows coming up for the next two months and didn't realize how packed it was in terms of prestige programming. Mrs. America, Defending Jacob, Ryan Murphy's Hollywood, Damien Chazelle's The Eddy, I Know This Much Is True (which HBO just moved from April to May cause the Nicole Kidman show that also would've been grouped in with these is now delayed to later in the year). All of these are premiering at the same time to aim for the Limited categories at the Emmys but at least there's no shortage of stuff to look forward to as we're stuck in our homes.

17 minutes ago, AJG said:

splitting the last book into 2 movies destroyed that franchise.

Can we also do TV shows? Glee was massive, it had chart records that were only beaten a couple weeks ago (five years after it ended), yet I don’t think anyone has spoken about it in the last several years or so.

Feels like both Glee and Hunger Games hit the audience backlash to the popularity of the franchise, overexposure of the star and decline in quality moments at the same time. Was like a Voltron of decline.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AJG said:

Can we also do TV shows? Glee was massive, it had chart records that were only beaten a couple weeks ago (five years after it ended), yet I don’t think anyone has spoken about it in the last several years or so.

The quality of that show fell off horribly after its first season and so everyone abandoned it completely. Show has an eerie legacy though due to the fact two of its "young" (both those dudes were almost 30 playing high schoolers when the show first premiered) stars lost their lives to personal demons either during the show's run or a few years after it ended.

18 minutes ago, AJG said:

splitting the last book into 2 movies destroyed that franchise.

My best friend and I love to trash Glee all the time.

I guess Two and a Half Men fits the deal. It was big when it came out, and the Charlie Sheen/Ashton Kutcher fiasco made headlines all over the world, but nobody ever talks about the show anymore, and I don't even know if it's airing anywhere. I see more of Mom than I do 2.5 Men.

1 minute ago, Eric Lightfoot said:

My best friend and I love to trash Glee all the time.

I guess Two and a Half Men fits the deal. It was big when it came out, and the Charlie Sheen/Ashton Kutcher fiasco made headlines all over the world, but nobody ever talks about the show anymore, and I don't even know if it's airing anywhere. I see more of Mom than I do 2.5 Men.

The Big Bang Theory ended up replacing it as everyone's favorite "comfort food" sitcom. Although one could question if it was anyone's favorite in the first place given that even the stars of the show didn't think much of it while it was on lol.

i think we've all pretended to forget 2 and a half man because charlie sheen is a crazy weirdo probable rapist who will be metoo'd to the phantom zone if he ever tries to attempt a comeback and every other joke on that show was about what a horny sex pest he is.

45 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Twilight

nah. making fun of twilight is definitely still a thing.

is anyone that was on glee still popular? i do think at least partially the downfall of the hunger games as a phenomenon is tied to jennifer lawrence only doing movies nobody cares about since it ended. since that franchise was more tied to her star persona than say harry potter was to daniel radcliffe imo

Edited by CoolioD1

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

name a franchise that was as big as the hunger games was and had less of a cultural footprint. it's basically lumped in at the same level as the maze runner/divergent at this point.

Too soon to say maybe but the new Jumanji movies. Granted they've never aspired to THG's air of self-importance.

35 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Feels like both Glee and Hunger Games hit the audience backlash to the popularity of the franchise, overexposure of the star and decline in quality moments at the same time. Was like a Voltron of decline.

You watch Voltron

7 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Too soon to say maybe but the new Jumanji movies. Granted they've never aspired to THG's air of self-importance.

yeah i was gonna say that but it's too early right now since it's on going. but they'll surely be the correct answer in a couple years. billion dollar movies where the majority of people probably couldn't tell you the names of any of the characters at gun point. they have a scientifically perfect formula for "kids will like it, parents won't hate it" that plays really well around the holidays for those movies.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Those definitely feel like major hits that nobody seems to remember retrospectively.

It also seems like Avatar hasn’t left as much of an immediate cultural footprint, given its size.  I’ll reference it and people will think I’m talking about the Nickelodeon show.

But a better answer to @CoolioD1’s question would probably be something like Love Story from 1970

18 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

is anyone that was on glee still popular?

Darren Criss completed his television awards season clean sweep for his Andrew Cunanan just over a year ago and has gotten a couple of major gigs since (supporting role in Midway and was gonna be in the American Buffalo revival on Broadway in a few weeks with Sam Rockwell and Laurence Fishburne that's been postponed/probably cancelled due to the pandemic) but otherwise nah.

11 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Those definitely feel like major hits that nobody seems to remember retrospectively.

It also seems like Avatar hasn’t left as much of an immediate cultural footprint, given its size.  I’ll reference it and people will think I’m talking about the Nickelodeon show.

But a better answer to @CoolioD1’s question would probably be something like Love Story from 1970

To be fair to Avatar, the sequels haven't come out yet, they'll have the Disney machine behind it, and the Disney World rides still had crazy long lines up until the parks closed. I also feel like the new Jumanji movies might bank on nostalgic 2010s kids in the future.

The Disney remakes probably fit under Hunger Games too, if they count as a franchise. They make billions every year, but I feel like nobody talks about them 9 months after they come out. Look up "Beauty and the Beast" at Target or the Disney store, and almost all the merch is based around the animated movie.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

name a franchise that was as big as the hunger games was and had less of a cultural footprint. it's basically lumped in at the same level as the maze runner/divergent at this point.

Honestly I think you're in the wrong age bracket. Among 16-23 year olds today everyone remembers it, and there's constant references to it. Yea, it's basically "Divergent on steroids" at this point, but it's still pretty huge. Last 2 films really did fizzle out though. Franchise peaked with Catching Fire.

Y'all weren't in middle school for the first 2 movies. That shit was EVERYWHERE. 

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Honestly I think you're in the wrong age bracket. Among 16-23 year olds today everyone remembers it, and there's constant references to it. Yea, it's basically "Divergent on steroids" at this point, but it's still pretty huge. Last 2 films really did fizzle out though. Franchise peaked with Catching Fire.

Y'all weren't in middle school for the first 2 movies. That shit was EVERYWHERE. 

I'm like a year older than you, and I haven't heard anyone talk about Hunger Games in ages. I've seen a whisper of Twilight here and there, but not Hunger Games

• Astonished 1