Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

17 hours ago, filmlover said:

Glee has likely seen somewhat of an upswing in popularity recently following the release of the entire show on Disney+ (they still had banners up touting its arrival when I was at the parks last week) so it's possible that has helped keep her in the spotlight despite her lack of work in recent years due to her polarizing personality. If E! True Hollywood Story still existed (last episode was apparently in 2015?) the series would make for an obvious episode given the unfortunate legacy it has built both during and after its time on the air but I imagine Disney and Ryan Murphy would never allow it.

The amusing thing about Glee was, it is basically a updated version of the old Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland "Hey kids let;s put on a Show" series of musicals in the 1940'a. 

The Michales/Fledstein uproar is entertaining. Both are talented but you are talking physical appreance, Feldstein is MUCH more like the real life Fanny Brice then Michales is. She is a bit too pretty for the role, frankly, particualry since Brice being plain looking is a major point in the show.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The amusing thing about Glee was, it is basically a updated version of the old Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland "Hey kids let;s put on a Show" series of musicals in the 1940'a. 

The Michales/Fledstein uproar is entertaining. Both are talented but you are talking physical appreance, Feldstein is MUCH more like the real life Fanny Brice then Michales is. She is a bit too pretty for the role, frankly, particualry since Brice being plain looking is a major point in the show.

When Glee premiered it was largely seen as "High School Musical for more sophisticated folks" (the last of those movies came out months before Glee premiered) before the quality dropped off almost immediately after the first season. Even though it's still to popular to roast the show seven years after it ended, its influence is still felt across the TV musical genre, including the HSM revival (the biggest irony of all being that Disney now owns both franchises).

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

When Glee premiered it was largely seen as "High School Musical for more sophisticated folks" (the last of those movies came out months before Glee premiered) before the quality dropped off almost immediately after the first season. Even though it's still to popular to roast the show seven years after it ended, its influence is still felt across the TV musical genre, including the HSM revival (the biggest irony of all being that Disney now owns both franchises).

High School Musical was even more a updated version of the old Rooney/Garland teenage 'Let's Put On A Show, Kids!" musical then Glee.

Whoa, this sounds like it was unexpected:

I remember all the entertainment news shows my mom watched when I was a kid, the Trumps were huge pop culture figures and had an extremely messy, public divorce. She was sort of a famous socialite type for years after...

• Like 1

lmao. I bet she doesn't even follow through with the "leaving July 31" announcement.

57 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I wonder if this is it or if they're going to have some big, splashy ceremony later on. They were going to have a huge wedding the first time around and canceled at the last minute, but JLo really seems into that sort of fanciness. OTOH, you know some family and friends are rolling their eyes at this whole relationship and Marriage #4 for her.

21 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I wonder if this is it or if they're going to have some big, splashy ceremony later on. They were going to have a huge wedding the first time around and canceled at the last minute, but JLo really seems into that sort of fanciness. OTOH, you know some family and friends are rolling their eyes at this whole relationship and Marriage #4 for her.

I guess by skipping the big ceremony they're hoping it'll last. I'm sure plenty of people are taking bets already lmao.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I guess by skipping the big ceremony they're hoping it'll last. I'm sure plenty of people are taking bets already lmao.

Their canceled wedding was really lavish, they blamed that for calling it off (and not their obvious issues as a couple back then):

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/07/18/jennifer-lopez-and-ben-afflecks-canceled-2003-wedding-would-have-been-massive/

The 400-person guest list reportedly included such A-listers as Affleck’s best friend Matt Damon and his “Armageddon” co-star Bruce Willis, along with Alec Baldwin, Colin Farrell, and Matthew Perry, Entertainment Weekly reported at the time. Affleck’s younger brother Casey Affleck was poised to be his best man. After the ceremony and reception, Affleck and Lopez were expected to spend their honeymoon night in the Bacara’s $6,400-a-night presidential.

Affleck and Lopez vainly tried to keep a tight lid on the date and location of their wedding by having their assistants invite guests by phone and then hand-deliver final details a few days before the ceremony, Us Weekly reported. They had also been playing a guessing game with the public, apparently leaking information about how they were going to marry in Hawaii and then in Georgia, ABC News added.

“Due to the excessive media attention surrounding our wedding, we have decided to postpone the date,” Lopez and Affleck said in a joint statement at the time. “When we found ourselves seriously contemplating hiring three separate ‘decoy brides’ at three different locations, we realized that something was awry.”

Someone took the "celebrity decoy bride" premise and made a romcom out of it!